New McCabe player asking questions

RiceP.

Hello fellow TT players. I've recently got hold of a new shiny box of Relic Hunters (my first TT crew btw) and now i'm interested in advice from more experienced players. My questions is (in no particular order of importance):

1. How does he feels in current meta in terms of overall strength? I'm asking this more out of curiosity  because i'm in no way a tournament player, but i want to know what i'm getting myself into.

2. Since his keyword at the moment is basically his box + that one new release (that i anyway can't get for now because i live in only country Wyrd can't ship to and i have to wait for it to be available in third party stores) what versatile TT models play well into his crew. What should i consider buying next?

3. Does his playstyle with giving out upgrades similar to VS's?

I would say that his playstyle is different to Von Schill and Marcus. His crew seem to typically want to pass the upgrades amongst themselves, so there is more  a case of him getting them out there, and then them being used, where as Vonschill has to keep giving new stuff out as they get used up.

I don't know how competitive he is, but some one in the UK used him as explorers faction to win a tournament, so that was just using keyword models . TT have a range of strong versatile models. I'm not sure which ones I would recommend if you're just starting with him, it probably depends a lot on how you want to play, Id look for Minions initially for use with the upgrade, so Samurai and Ten Thunders Brothers look a good start.

• Like 1

Mc Cabe is a strong master!

He can really shut down certain crews like those who wants to bubble! His gun when he's on his horse is really strong!

In keyword Hucksters are fantastic! I would proxy them since you can't get them now! use ruffians for the proxy until you get them! They are amazing schemers and on certain board are really mobile!

Sidir is a nice counter pieces against terrifying crews or crews that spawn terrain markers! his gun is nice but I found him a little squishy for his cost. He can do work but keep him far form danger.

I haven't used Desper much, he is ok but I find him a little too costly for my taste! I know other people really like him tho.

Ruffians are bad, they are way too fragile for their cost and don't bring anything meaningful except for a mobility boosts for another model. I rarely take one.

Versatiles and OOK

McCabe likes really strong minions to give his upgrades. 2 minions stand out for the killy role: Samurai and Jorogumo.

Samurais are the tanky version with a nice gun and good melee attack (armored models hates this guy) They cost a lot but can easily kill one model per turn with easy access to focused and good dmg. They are quite slow tho, so Mc Cabe should use ride with me to help one of them be in position faster. If you want your samurai to be on another flank this is the only time where I've considered taking a ruffian and it's to help the samurai move faster.

Jorogumo are the destroyers of world with McCabe. with Timeworn Blade there's not a lot of things that can survive a charge from this beast! they are fast and hit like a truck. They are also moderatly resilient but they will die if a beater gets a few good attacks on them. So choose your engagement and bring a tears mug for your opponent! 😉 ahah!

Tanukis are great support pieces, they remove conditions, give focused, can heal a little and can even help you scheme if needed. These squirrels are amazing!

If you need more healing Low River Monks are for you! One of the best healers in the game!

Emissary is strong and fast. His bonus action is sweet when you have a garbage hand! He falls in the same category as Jorogumo for his role but he can't take McCabe upgrades.

All in all Wastrel is an okay to good keyword on is own but will surely get even better when it gets new models form Explorer's Society. What makes them really strong now is the other good versatile and OOK from TT you take with McCabe and hucksters. for now if you buy the samurai box and the tanuki box you should be good to go at minimum. Also proxy the ruffians you have as hucksters ;). I don't own Dawn Serpent so can't really comment on his power but he seem like a nice glass cannon. The Emissary box is also nice to have but I don't know your budget. Jorogumo will help you a lot in the killing department but if you don't want to expand into Oni you cna pass on them and be fine with only Samurais! 😉

1. Yes, It is

2. I'd recommend the Shadow Fate Box and the Dawn Serpent. Samuriai is a great idea too, but I expect a M3E repack along with The Lone Swordman, so, I take 'em together.

You have more than 50 ss to play. So use that calmy, get the other keyword box when you can and take another master when you want change playstyles (With that versatile pool, maybe Misaki. But take whatever you want)

Thanks for your answers everyone, that tactics is def gonna come handy. 

On 8/7/2020 at 7:45 PM, D-solad0r said:

With that versatile pool, maybe Misaki.

Funny that you've said that, because i already ordered her starter few weeks ago (wanted to get her since second edition but wasn't sure enough). 

Hey! Unofficial McCabe Master here. Thanks to HomelessOne for linking my thread but...yes. I would state that McCabe loves the current GG and he's  absolutely amazing. He can play any setup and Scenario.

Definitely get the Hucksters and Desper. They're good for starting out. Samurai are prime too. Dawn Serpent and Shadow Emissary are also good. 

So. I'd suggest starting by learning activation order. Luna first. Get an Artifact and toss it with her bonus to whomever is going after and spread that fast around. Once McCabe gets going he can also throw them out alright, but Luna is really just made for handing out the upgrades. 

Use the Fast to do heavy precise hits or scheming. And make sure McCabe has a Phantasmal Mask before you drive him into enemy ranks. Read up on his pushes and rules. Make sure you're running through and pulsing as many targets as you can with that rear up. 

15 hours ago, RiceP. said:

Thanks for your answers everyone, that tactics is def gonna come handy. 

Funny that you've said that, because i already ordered her starter few weeks ago (wanted to get her since second edition but wasn't sure enough). 

I was thinking about when Misaki M3E's starter box will be released xD.

But both are very beautiful miniatures.

In M2E, Torakage was very good with McCabe's relics. Maybe worth a try.