Outcasts Starter Box

touchdown

7 hours ago, touchdown said:

d'oh! You're right of course. Well Vanessa will still be stat 8 but no surge.

I had almost exactly the same thought. 

I thought: Hold down+ Zipp's Zapper+Convulsions ends up with a staggered model 4-7" out of position! 

Also: since he's called Catalan Brawler, is this new model the first human enforcer we've had this edition without an actual name?

57 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Also: since he's called Catalan Brawler, is this new model the first human enforcer we've had this edition without an actual name?

Nah, this is old hat for Outcasts. Obedient Wretch and the Child are both Enforcers who are not technically unique individuals. We even have a Henchman, the Scion, who is just one of several random muppets pledged to Obliteration.

Outcasts, the faction of "How are you not a Minion?"

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

That Hold Down is going to be massive for Levi as well (more stat6 irreducible damage attacks? Yes, please). The Brawler is also well suited to protect both Waifs and Levi himself, at least from ranged attacks, so I think I'll be using him in Amalgam a fair bit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barmution said:

That Hold Down is going to be massive for Levi as well (more stat6 irreducible damage attacks? Yes, please). The Brawler is also well suited to protect both Waifs and Levi himself, at least from ranged attacks, so I think I'll be using him in Amalgam a fair bit.

Only sad part is no triggers, but that's probably alright for his ranged attack usually.

• Agree 1

Every time I see someone saying "this gives extra shoots to Mad Dog, so it's good" (Like this Hold Down or the Pull trigger) I think maybe, but it's better on the Drachen. 

Then I realize that nobody hires the Drachen because is garbage. 

1 hour ago, Zebo said:

Every time I see someone saying "this gives extra shoots to Mad Dog, so it's good" (Like this Hold Down or the Pull trigger) I think maybe, but it's better on the Drachen. 

I feel like I haven't given Drachen enough of a chance, just because blasts on every damage level plus mass hysteria has such a great ceiling.  I think there's probably play to being super aggressive with them, maybe with some extra explosives packed on to really threaten overly bunched up crews.

6 hours ago, andorman said:

Especially with the almost certain upcoming Levi nerfs,

Do you think Levi is going to take the hit? I think Levi is in a pretty good place. Rusty got a pretty good fix, and they Errata'd Ashes and Dust. I could see Necropunks getting a nerf, and Desolation Engine getting some tuning.

2 hours ago, Zebo said:

Draken's gotta be worth a shot, r-right? The Stagger from Brass Knuckles means he'd be taking the Hold Down shots a ~ stat 8 vs move.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Gave him a try today. Didn't even bring a good option for Hold Down (the times I used it, I was just taking shots with the Emissary for 2/3/4), and he did exactly what I wanted. Kept a Vik on 1 health alive for an entire turn. A nice 3 model combo is the Emissary, Brawler and Student of Conflict. You Weary Road the Brawler into position and take advantage of Condor Security and once your opponents beaters have gone, the Student uses the marker to give out fast. Worked beautifully in this game.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Purely for the purposes of HH, I wish the total value was 27 ss, but I suppose encouraging some upgrade experimenting is good too.

All the models seem to range from solid to great. They also have a good amount of synergy with each other getting bonus markers and using them to generate resources, plus heals for price of progress. So I think it will be fun to play out of the box (I really like the marker shenanigans).

I can see using all 3 models with other masters too, so that's nice. Outcasts finally has stunned outside of Hans.

Think there's viable Yannic leader lists?

4 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I love that you can now rapid fire with things like Mercenary and draw instead of discarding xD

yeah action 1) interact, action 2) shoot, action 3) draw and shoot again. Love it. The rifleman can use their bonus to just draw a card and drop a new marker each turn. Lots of fun combos

• Like 1

They look really good to me Yannick and the rifleman look good together since they can draw a card a turn with thier bonus, if the rifleman starts next to a scheme maker. I haven't looked, me but I feel like there's for to be more synergies in faction.

The riflemen themselves seen really great for 5ss. The anti-charge arua is cool. The ability to have built in Masks for Coordinated Strike seems really powerful. They're only stat 4 but can punish low df models or it can force your opponent to cheat, even if they're winning, or risk you cheating up to get an attack from a beater like the Viks. The other trigger is nice to, since it'll mean you can potentially get a lot of value out of low tomes in hand. They can be okay scheme runners too with the ability to double walk and interact. Lotta value for 5ss.

• Like 1

A little disappointed at the lack of triggers that drop markers to make models like Benny happy (Yannic's Unexpected Results is a touch hard to do in the backline :D ), but definitely an interesting set. If nothing else the Riflemen being able to Interact, Walk, Interact without the need for expensive Moldy Cheese actions makes them pretty good for babysitting Benny, so there's opportunity to mix up my Hamelin list building there.

Scheme marker shenanigans are my catnip though, so it's a fun starter set. Quite a lot of options for attack generation across the board, and you can even make the Minions somewhat reliable by using the first AP to "I meant to do that" to get the second Warning Shot up to Stat 6.

• Like 2

Seems like you might be able to make some sort of gun line list with Von Shill and Yannic's shouting orders. Drop a scheme marker, Concentrate as a bonus action and draw a card, then take a focused shot.

Riflemen might be fun holders for upgrades like Rocket launcher too. Burn a wound for I Meant to Do that on Warning shot, then burn another wound for for a stat 8 Rocket Launcher attack with built in Critical Strike and ignore Friendly Fire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1