Outcasts Starter Box

touchdown

We have our first full look at the box's contents with it appearing on the upcoming releases for June. 

Two Catalan Riflemen (not snipers, making me think it's quite likely they don't have the sniper rule), a Catalan Brawler, and a lady with a rifle named Yannic Waller. Not a big fan of the sculpts to be honest, and 3/4 models just being "person with gun" has me a little trepiditious... but I've got my fingers crossed for mechanics more interesting than the visuals.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

I'm much less interested in their damage than I am in (hopefully) any utility they might bring. Outcasts have lots of models across most of our of Keywords who do damage, so Versatiles that do that job simply aren't that appealing. They're unlikely to be fast schemers based on what they are, which is a hole most of our Keywords have, but we always have the Midnight Stalker to fall back on there. I guess they'd have a niche if they brought more Ruthless to the table, we don't have many choices on that front, but I'd rather something that plays with scheme markers or stones (we have a bit of a sub-theme through our Versatiles and several Keywords as a faction in terms of interacting with both). The Drop It trigger on models that can actually guarantee the trigger opens up the Wanted Criminal for use on models outside of Parker and Benny, for example.

But we'll see how it comes out I suppose before too much longer.

• Like 1

i guess they couldnt look like the more out-there Outcast keywords like Amalgam, Tormented, or Obliteration since theyre Versatile, but they are kinda dull to me regardless. every faction has Bloke With Gun, these dont really look raggedy or rugged enough to be Outcasts imo, they could easily be some generic Guild or Arcanist too.

image.png.6f900001d12e44673c1635871dc90977.png

also this guy doesnt know how to use a gun

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, SoylentRobot said:

i guess they couldnt look like the more out-there Outcast keywords like Amalgam, Tormented, or Obliteration since theyre Versatile, but they are kinda dull to me regardless. every faction has Bloke With Gun, these dont really look raggedy or rugged enough to be Outcasts imo, they could easily be some generic Guild or Arcanist too.

Well, they are Syndicate which seems to be a bit like Guild or Arcanists in looks. But yeah, they certainly could've been a bit less generic. I do like the look of the Brawler and Yannic has at least some character to her.

2 minutes ago, SoylentRobot said:

image.png.6f900001d12e44673c1635871dc90977.png

also this guy doesnt know how to use a gun

It is a bit embarrassing. It's weird that this render was approved.

I suppose one could pretend that he is checking how the scope aligns with the barrel or something rather than being actively trying to shoot the gun.

24 minutes ago, SoylentRobot said:

im wondering why theyre Syndicate too. if Syndicate needs more models they should be released in an ES box, not hogging another faction's starter box too. makes me worried theyll be more useful in ES than Outcasts

Actually I don't begrudge them being Syndicate at all. In fact that gives me a bit of hope, since Price of Progress is a pretty cool Keyword ability to have on some Versatiles (triggers pending) and because as a whole Syndicate has a fair bit of scheme marker manipulation generally, which is something I always have fun with.

So, pretty sure in the lore the Catalan corps are a mercenary outfit like the Friekorps, just they have an exclusive contract with condor rails (i.e. Anya).

Given Anya's got the whole 'union Buster's thing going, I can see her hiring thr Catalan corps and having them do odd jobs with there mercenaries while also being a bit of a corporate spy 

• Agree 1

Yannic's gun looks to be a shotgun, so I would expect that to have the 3/4/5 damage track and 8" range. Hopefully, as the henchwoman of the box she is sufficiently differentiated from Mad Dog in role. I would guess she would be. My guess is that, since they're a mercenary group of which she is probably an officer, she has some support function(s). Clearly that support role does not include teaching the minions to use their rifles! 

The brawler probably has enhanced fists (2/4/6) and, since he is grouped with three gun users, I hope he has something akin to hunting partner. Otherwise he's a bit of a fish out of water. 

Aren't there several shotgun types in the game? Could easily be a refurbished one with the 2/3/3 track instead. Would differentiate her from Mad Dog at least!

The Brawler is the model that I'm probably the most intrigued by. I get Toni-ish vibes for obvious reasons, which makes me wonder if tanking rules like Caught in the Ring or Take the Hit are on the table.

1 hour ago, Azahul said:

Aren't there several shotgun types in the game? Could easily be a refurbished one with the 2/3/3 track instead. Would differentiate her from Mad Dog at least!

You're correct, there are refurbished shotguns and sawed-off shotguns for sure. There may be more still. It doesn't look like a sawed-off shotgun and I would expect, with her henchman status, she isn't saddled with a refurb, but those are certainly assumptions on my part! 

4 hours ago, SoylentRobot said:

im wondering why theyre Syndicate too. if Syndicate needs more models they should be released in an ES box, not hogging another faction's starter box too. makes me worried theyll be more useful in ES than Outcasts

I have this feeling since they announced this box that by the theme of Syndicate, they are going to be in EVERY FACTION.

They currently have only 3 models not in other keywords or factions. I think Syndicate will be the real virus of the Explorer's Society.

58 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

I have this feeling since they announced this box that by the theme of Syndicate, they are going to be in EVERY FACTION.

They currently have only 3 models not in other keywords or factions. I think Syndicate will be the real virus of the Explorer's Society.

I don't think it'll be every faction. Bayou don't have it in the starter, and I can't see them being into Bayou, Resser and NB. 

But definitely see them making inroads into several other factions. Guild and Arcanists, probably. 10T might be a fluff conflict?

I have no idea what are they, but if the Brawler is a tarpit, then he will step on another versatile model, Barbaros. Not impossible, but I doubt it.

Also, as player of a crew with already 2 models with augmented fists (Hannah and Arik) I hope he has another attack. 

About the riflemen, depending on their cost they could easily take Desperate Mercenaries role in Mercenary crews. Let's see how they finish. 

No idea about what to expect from the lady. Do you imagine a model in Outcast with Obey? 

9 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

It is a bit embarrassing. It's weird that this render was approved.

That seems to be a steady theme with recent renders. I think they tried to produce too much at once and didn't have time to finalise/quality control everything (see Jessie Halliday's neck and crystal, or the Emissary's armguard that doesn't have any texture).

4 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

That'd make sense to do lore-wise, but it would be so clunky to have to jam Syndicate into every faction mechanically xD

• 3 weeks later...

Catalan "two free Mad Dog shots each turn" Brawler looks pretty good to me. Strong addition to Von Schill. I am also going to test him in Parker crew with Emissary (Regen for him to compensate for Price for Progress and companion for Mad Dog + you can get that friendly marker where you need it). In ideal world you can have two consecutive activations of two Fast models making 9 attacks in total (3 Brawler, 6 Mad Dog).

• Like 2

I remember saying when a friend asked what holes in Outcasts the Starter could possibly cover that we don't have much in the way of Stunned or Condition removal, so this guy getting both on the one action made me laugh.

Overall I quite like him. Juggernaut is a neat bit of design on a model with Price of Progress for covering up that chip damage at the end of each activation. You can afford to be fairly liberal with buying triggers until he starts being the focus of attention.

• Agree 1