Outcasts Starter Box

touchdown

It was mentioned in the live chat something about Catalan snipers in that box?

People in the comment section stated something about that being a place in the lore, but I was unfamiliar with it.

<after a Google search>

Well this is embarrassing.  Somehow, Andorra is my second favorite country in the world, but I just didn't put 2 & 2 together inside the Malifaux universe.  My shame knows no bounds.

So now the question is, what other piece of history am I missing in that they historically had exceptional snipers?

They’re mentioned in one of the the TtB books, the core rule book, I think, and they’re also in the Outcast story from the last M2E book. The one where they’re all meeting to discuss the Guild making mercenaries illegal.

If I remember right, they’re supposed to be able to shoot a hole in a coin or something before they’re officially welcomed into the Catalan Corps. Maybe we’ll be getting minion snipers to be like mini-Hans? I’d love to see Outcast versatile minions that aren’t support pieces, just for a change of pace.

1 hour ago, D-solad0r said:

Why not use Freikorps snipers to fulfill that role?

Many people complain about their performance.

Freikorps Scouts no longer have the Sniper ability (discard Focus to gain +10" to the range), so having actual snipers, plural, in the faction again would be great!

If they do have sniper Outcasts will be the first faction to have multiple models with the ability. Although, Guild and 10T have it on a minion so they can field multiple (and Explorer's Society soon). If they do have an ES faction keyword it would give them a lot of sniper models.

10 hours ago, D-solad0r said:

I was talking about give back to trappers the Sniper Rol.

Ask yourself this:  Do you really want to face 22" range, Stat 7 rocket launcher shots?

Because that's how you get 22" range, Stat 7 rocket launcher shots.

And personally, I like the Trapper as-is.  I certainly don't want to pay another stone for them or lose Pursue.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Zebo said:

Scouts have from the shadows, they really don't need as much the extra range from sniper. 

Specially when they only have 25% chance of hitting a useful trigger for a Sniper. They are not really so killy. 

Keep in mind they ignore Concealment and Friendly Fire on all :ranged attacks and Cover on the rifle as well, so you get the full benefit of your :+flip from focus most of the time.  I'll admit I'm not a bleeding edge competitive player, but I've not generally had issues finding useful targets that have already activated, which activates Pursue.

And built-in reposition is hardly useless, even on a sharpshooter.

9 hours ago, clockworkspide said:

Keep in mind they ignore Concealment and Friendly Fire on all :ranged attacks and Cover on the rifle as well, so you get the full benefit of your :+flip from focus most of the time.  I'll admit I'm not a bleeding edge competitive player, but I've not generally had issues finding useful targets that have already activated, which activates Pursue.

And built-in reposition is hardly useless, even on a sharpshooter.

Fine, then they don't need the extra range from focus. They already have good range and good deployment. That focus rather should be used in positive flips than adding range. 

That's why I say that they don't need the sniper. They are not bad shooting, but neither are specialized in it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, SoylentRobot said:

i notice the box has the Syndicate keyword, i thought that was an Explorer's Society keyword. Dual Outcasts/ES master in the future perhaps?

Possibly, although there other examples of keywords appearing in different factions to the Masters, such as Tricksy, Foundry, Last blossom, Amalgam and Revenant.

How can it equal Walk+Shoot?  Who's walk is 10"?

I think it's only weak because it's not plentiful anymore.

I used to run 5 snipers at once in M2E (Hans, 2 Trappers, 2 Katanaka), and the ability to remove models en masse turn 1 was great.

Now, you can get 3 if you're Guild, 2 if you're Ten Thunders, 1 if you're Outcast or Neverborn.  Having at least 3 again for us would be great!

7 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

How can it equal Walk+Shoot?  Who's walk is 10"?

I think it's only weak because it's not plentiful anymore.

I used to run 5 snipers at once in M2E (Hans, 2 Trappers, 2 Katanaka), and the ability to remove models en masse turn 1 was great.

Now, you can get 3 if you're Guild, 2 if you're Ten Thunders, 1 if you're Outcast or Neverborn.  Having at least 3 again for us would be great!

I think the claim was more that most of the time you don't need all 10", but often 4 or 5" would be enough to allow you the shot, in which case why "sniper" rather than move. 

After all, the board is only 36" across. If you're in the middle you already see 29" so you only really need another 3" to your range to threaten the whole length. (Of course most of the time you don't stand on the centre line, but also you don't need to shoot someone on the very back of the board. And the board has width as well as length so the distance can be more). 

On 9/1/2020 at 12:49 PM, touchdown said:

If we're getting sniper-ish models, I actually hope they don't have the sniper ability. I'd prefer a model like December Acolyte. Give me Analyze Weakness, Tools for the Job, and uh ruthless instead of from the shadows.

Please no more Tools for the Job. My heart can only take so many two Red Joker turns.

• Haha 1