Joining the ranks of the outcasts- ramblings and rantings of a cranky old man.

Cranky Old Man

Greetings I thought I might share my experience as a first time outcasts player as I collect, paint and play the faction for the time. I have been playing malifaux for about 4 years now and I started a resser player and specifically  Nicodem  before he was god tier. It was a steep learning experience I can assure you but I enjoyed it and eventually I bought all the resser masters and played them all including Tara. Molly and Nico were my faves. Being the middle aged obsessed war gamer I was able to live the dream of my younger self and pretty much buy what I wanted when I wanted. So I built up a collection of every faction and own most of the masters and a good 90% of the models in each faction!. 
3rd edition came along and I started with beloved ressers but was a little down on the since they dmh-Ed my Nicodem and my other fave Ramos (I had a arcanist period ). Soon I was trying out the ten thunders and enjoyed them for a while but I had always wanted play Levi but a few mates that are my regular opponents are big outcasts players so I steered away. Well those two mates are playing different factions for now so I thought it was the perfect opportunity to try the outcasts. I have all of the masters in my cupboard of shame but Hamelin is just the first Ed metal box so most of his keyword is missing. The masters I have assembled are Viks. Schill, Daw, Parker and Levi while Zipp, Tara ( sold my original crew off when she was lost to ressers) and Hamelin are in built. My Daw crew is painted as well as most of my Levi but it was the weird old man I started with as he seemed to fit my theme of Nico and Ramos and indeed almost appears to be an Amalgam (see what I do there ?) of the two of them. I’ll post up some photos of the crews later.

My thoughts coming into Levi are that I think his is a crew that could comfortable solo in a tournament which what I like when learning a new faction and crew. The plan is to take Levi to a tournament in the first weekend of October here in Sydney called Moab. It’s a one day tournament with three games. With this in mind I played a game against my mates McCabe last night of the first rounds pool. It wasimage.thumb.jpeg.b2635d5bd87c6bf708078bf25e3f0e9b.jpeg

I chose break through and spread them out 

My list

image.thumb.jpeg.65a659f96ac609932428a629456cb29b.jpeg

The idea was for ashes and the necrosis to move onto the opponents half first turn and drop markers to set up for turn two spread. This is why I gave ashes servant upgrade but I might change that yet. Rusty and Marlene were to hang together in the middle and project threat. The scavenger was really there to try to get fast onto alyce. With armour and Marlenes ability to tale the wounds down to 0 I could get the fast on Alyce with no wounds from the crow trigger on weird device. Of course first turn I couldn’t get a crow high enough to actually get it to work! I put the lodestone on ashes.

second turn the plan was to get ashes up to the marker in the left hand quarter of the opponents half and claim strat point. Also he dropped a scheme marker to start getting me ready for the final points of my schemes. Necropunks were to get into backfield for breakthrough. One necro was killed by McCabe but the other one got over there and get me breakthrough. End of second turn and I had 3 points.

The rest of the game went to plan and I easily got my markers down for my second points but Ashes could only get another 2 on the strat. It will be hard to get the final point for the start as that’s the furthest you need to move to claim one, passing it off will be the way but I hadn’t set it up well enough. Ended up 7 all draw.

I’m hooked, love this crew. The irreducible damage from Levi is truly terrifying, I killed desper Leroux early turn 2 and Levi got Minako and I think the terracotta warrior by the  end I lost alyce and Marlene but they did their job distracting McCabe, not for long enough though. Having said that if they hadn’t stopped him for a turn or so he would have got all the points for strat.

Long winded I know but hey I’m excited!

image.png

• Like 2

Hi there!

I also got Levi on the table for the first time recently. Just reading your list and strategy I think you may have over committed to spread them out. 2 necopunks on their own can have 6 scheme markers down on the opponents side by the end of turn 2.

Also, "Of course first turn I couldn’t get a crow high enough to actually get it to work! I put the lodestone on ashes. ". They have tools for the job. You can discard any crow to get that trigger if you want it. One of the things that makes them incredible. Have zero crows in hand? Wait until you flip one to activate them, Pick it up and immediately discard it!

Thanks for the reply! I held off activating the scavengers for that exact reason but never got the crow! You could be right about the necro punk but I’m a cautious old man and feel safer with redundancy. As it was one of the punks got murdered first turn by McCabe. I’ll keep around with the list though and thanks for the advice!

Played against brewmaster last night into recover evidence. The schemes were vendetta, claim jump, catch nd release, leave your mark and runic binding. I took claim jump on Marlene and leave your mark. Not the smartest choice against brew master. I took Levi with SDP, 2 waifs, Alyce, Marlene, Ashes and dust, necropunk, scavenger and prospector. His crew was brewie, fingers, Wesley, cooper, whisky golem and 3 shinobi 

First activation of the game Levi  deleted the golem and I thought this is going to be easy. Anything but!

Brew master is so frustrating to play. With their 2 inch engagement and squeal they just kited around making me waste ap. Levi in melee with stat 5 just isn’t able to get a hold of stuff, and I learned he is better kiting and stoning for a mask with his gun to turn of triggers. Still stealth is a pain! I managed to get both my starts first points but the second on leave was too hard once Brewie got into the centre with his pissheads. I managed to heal up Marlene with the scavenger and her own heal which got me the final claim jump. I lost ashes early in the game and the thingy was killed too but dust storm was good and got me a strat point. I ended up winning the game 6-5 as Brewmaster got 3 in the last turn, my early points came in handy. Looking back I would keep Leveticus away and shoot. Same with Alyce who ended up in the Brewie bubble and died by turn 3 or 4.

The prospector was really good and so is the scavenger. I think the three minions are a good combo. Marlene does some work as well. If I learn to play Ashes better I’m sure he too will be better in future games.

00B80D6C-17CB-48A6-8B7F-4A711FB440F8.thumb.jpeg.a9906a3134ef573ee7fe0fb7d26c2a4a.jpeg
BB94B772-8345-47AB-95EA-B2DB613CD0A6.thumb.jpeg.fdfd1f0e801775f490b957080ce36d40.jpeg

32503F2A-4013-4E77-967E-F84F98E0B8A2.jpeg

On 8/6/2020 at 6:38 PM, Cranky Old Man said:

Brew master is so frustrating to play. With their 2 inch engagement and squeal they just kited around making me waste ap. Levi in melee with stat 5 just isn’t able to get a hold of stuff, and I learned he is better kiting and stoning for a mask with his gun to turn of triggers. Still stealth is a pain! I managed to get both my starts first points but the second on leave was too hard once Brewie got into the centre with his pissheads. I managed to heal up Marlene with the scavenger and her own heal which got me the final claim jump. I lost ashes early in the game and the thingy was killed too but dust storm was good and got me a strat point. I ended up winning the game 6-5 as Brewmaster got 3 in the last turn, my early points came in handy. Looking back I would keep Leveticus away and shoot. Same with Alyce who ended up in the Brewie bubble and died by turn 3 or 4.

Good ol' Brewie can be a pain in the ass, specially if it's your first game facing him, but once you get him figured out, it's easy to take down. Bring Johan/Johanna! His/her condition removal is going to be great against any condition-based crews. Then go for the small targets/support pieces first and the crew starts to fall apart. They basically have 2 models that actually do damage with certain level of consistency: Brewie and the Golem (could be the name of a southern country rock group lmao). Abominations and/or Desolation Engines can be good models to shut down the healing of that crew in order to set up the kill for tough targets.

I'm glad to see you enjoying this great faction ;)

• Agree 2

I demolished my friend's Tri-Chi crew with Freikorps once. If you can feed her 7s, Hannah can activate, clear her slow, clear her poison, and then grab 2 shielded and 1 focus from an Engineer and just wail on whatever you need. Steam Trunk with emergency syrette and Von Schill with Shrug Off helps too.

I put SoDP on 2 Engineers and he kept either failing the terrifying tests or after passing when flipping a high card that would have hit me, then flipping a low card. Also that 6" push at the beginning means they're in position for Von Schill to have them shoot a rocket launcher almost right away.

If you're sticking with Amalgam. I think I would try to run as many scavengers as possible. You get a mask for Tools for the Job and you're teleporting out of engagement and taking a focused shot (or giving a big model focused) and pushing them back. They have to walk charge to overcome that. Laugh at their 2" engagement.

I also don't mind Levi in melee, especially with SoDP. Channel and it's essentially focused so you should still be hitting without cheating. Necrotic Decay gives you 4/5/6 damage they can't reduce and you heal back all 4 wounds if you kill.

Levi is great in melee but the problem I found was that even winning the duel my opponent managed to get a mask in there to squeal out to 2 inches then I had the waste ap to get into them again. All the tri chi characters are defence 5 So it’s hard. The gun will be better especially if as its on will power so no squeal. Probably got  another game against them today so I’ll let you know what happens. 

third game with levi last night. The strat was public enemies and schemes were assassinate, catch and release, research  mission, leave your mark and let them bleed.

I chose leave your mark and let them bleed. my crew was Levi with Sdp, Waifs, Alyce, Marlene, Ashes, Scavenger, prospector and big jake. I had a grand plan for big jake with ctach and release then realised it was minion only! Still i love the model and so I kept him just to try him out.

Mates list was Bayou Mama Z. His list was Mama, McTavish, Grootslang, 2 will o the wisps, a bokor, 2 gators. 

Ended up a 7-2 win to me. I didnt get the first point of let them bleed becasue i killed too efficiently. By turn 4 I had tabled him. He did get an Adze off killing Jake. The irreducible damage was just too much for the swampfiends. Levi in one turn finished off Grootslang and McTavish. Only joy for my mate was obeying Rusty to kill a prospector. Sacavenger got lured and obeyed up tunr one and killed. Marlenes no heal aura was the biggest problem for the Swampies. I got her up to engage both grootslang and Mctavish knowing she might die but it allowed me to finish them with Levi before they could kill her and heal from the bokor.

Even though i ended up with an excellent win i thin i should have taken assassinate going forward, im just always reluctant to take it but with levi its more viable depending on the opposing master.

Planning on 2 more games with Levi before giving the Viks a try. I am really enjoying Levi.

One thing though, i cant seem to get the value out of ashes and dust. Im not sure what his role is supposed to be. Im tempted to try a desolation engine with servant next game just to see how it goes.

The defensive trigger on the crew is insane. Killed Zoraida in her own activation! Just luckily kept flipping tomes. I even cheated lower tomes in at times just to get the damage. The chip damage builds up.

• Cranky Old Man changed the title to Joining the ranks of the outcasts- ramblings and rantings of a cranky old man.