New Stuff from Gencon

4 minutes ago, Mycellanious said:

I dont think you need to have Focus to use Reload. Just if you have it, end it.

To take the action you need to end focused. If you don't have focused you can't end focused. It's the same with the style upgrades for Shenlong. You need to discard a Chi token to take them. Not having Chi doesn't mean you get to take the action for free.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, MajorUndead said:

What rumor? if you mean the deployment on the centerline, it's true. But they are insignificant, so don't get your hopes up too much to put scheme markers all over the place.
FYI they showed the cards during yesterday's game :

Runaways_Front.thumb.jpg.b66865ec24614d1e3a31c6ba4b604d85.jpgRunaways_Back.thumb.jpg.bb71e4f0b53d0ae6d58d8cb6ec69d2ed.jpg

Lol, so the baseless speculation that the totem would be something not allied with the master/they kill each other was bizarrely close?  Success!

7 hours ago, MajorUndead said:

What rumor? if you mean the deployment on the centerline, it's true. But they are insignificant, so don't get your hopes up too much to put scheme markers all over the place.
FYI they showed the cards during yesterday's game :

Runaways_Front.thumb.jpg.b66865ec24614d1e3a31c6ba4b604d85.jpgRunaways_Back.thumb.jpg.bb71e4f0b53d0ae6d58d8cb6ec69d2ed.jpg

Note Lord Cooper treats the totems as enemies and he has a built in trigger to drop a scheme marker on death... So while the totem can't interact. It can move into position and bonus action to have Cooper shoot it (maybe with neg to hit and POS to damage if you have a 1 you can spare to cheat the Defense flip) kill it, drop a scheme and gain a SS. 

25 minutes ago, frumpypigskin said:

Note Lord Cooper treats the totems as enemies and he has a built in trigger to drop a scheme marker on death... So while the totem can't interact. It can move into position and bonus action to have Cooper shoot it (maybe with neg to hit and POS to damage if you have a 1 you can spare to cheat the Defense flip) kill it, drop a scheme and gain a SS. 

If Cooper's targeting the Runaway, you can't cheat the defense flip, as per the On The Run ability.

"This model cannot relent or Cheat Fate when targeted by friendly Lord Cooper models."

• Thanks 1

So funny work around... Nihilism can prevent you from getting the condition in the first place, so Hamelin, Nix, Kunoichi, Lost Love, and Ashes & Dust can just off Runaways without repercussions.

Also, Asami can summon, for example, a Yokai, who can kill a Runaway, then vanish because of Flicker Tokens before the Adversary condition can be used against you.

And obviously all the standard anti-demise stuff.

Speaking of demise, Lord Cooper's Put Down trigger is a real bane to a the heavy demise crews like Leveticus, McCabe, and Yan Lo. He can really mess up normally reliable models like The Midnight Stalker, Serena Bowman, or the Mounted Guard. The Midnight Stalker is the only one of those he can one shot. I would probably hesitate to take any of those into Explorer's Society for that reason, which is interesting because models like TMS and Serena are almost staples in a lot of crews.

22 minutes ago, Trample said:

Speaking of demise, Lord Cooper's Put Down trigger is a real bane to a the heavy demise crews like Leveticus, McCabe, and Yan Lo. He can really mess up normally reliable models like The Midnight Stalker, Serena Bowman, or the Mounted Guard. The Midnight Stalker is the only one of those he can one shot. I would probably hesitate to take any of those into Explorer's Society for that reason, which is interesting because models like TMS and Serena are almost staples in a lot of crews.

That's a good point. That's pretty rare, outside a few abilities like Lantern of Souls, negating demise isn't that common, right?

2 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

So funny work around... Nihilism can prevent you from getting the condition in the first place, so Hamelin, Nix, Kunoichi, Lost Love, and Ashes & Dust can just off Runaways without repercussions.

Also, Asami can summon, for example, a Yokai, who can kill a Runaway, then vanish because of Flicker Tokens before the Adversary condition can be used against you.

And obviously all the standard anti-demise stuff.

Technically, that anti-demise stuff includes an opposing Lord Cooper and his Put It Down trigger.

Which joke is most appropriate here, I leave to someone else to determine.

2 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

That's a good point. That's pretty rare, outside a few abilities like Lantern of Souls, negating demise isn't that common, right?

Execute is probably the most common ignoring demise ability, of which there is a splatter ( 2 to 4 models) across all factions I think. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Adran said:

Execute is probably the most common ignoring demise ability, of which there is a splatter ( 2 to 4 models) across all factions I think. 

Not sure if that's a good comparison. Execute might ignore important demises when the other player is out of all resources, most of the time they will save 1 card or SS. Most reliable ways to shut down demises require a deep dive into that model.

Put it down works without conditions, from across the table, ignoring cover, in a gun close to Seamus' damage and in a model that may stonne the trigger. That's definitelly more conveninent and offers less counterplay that any other anti-demise tool. Also let's not forget it also ignores H2K. Crews like Savages get also rekt by that one.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Ogid said:

Not sure if that's a good comparison. Execute might ignore important demises when the other player is out of all resources, most of the time they will save 1 card or SS. Most reliable ways to shut down demises require a deep dive into that model.

I wasn't comparing them, just listing the most common way to ignore demise. 

I agree if you want to stop a demise then execute is generally out of your control. It does have the advantage that it is a strong trigger even against models without demise and can kill any fully healthy model. Pur it down is only going to stop a demise of you also reduce the model to 0 wounds on that attack. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ogid said:

That's definitelly more conveninent and offers less counterplay that any other anti-demise tool.

Welllll, lantern of souls is just 'enemy models within :ToS-5: ignore their demise abilities.' So I'd say that is a far better ability with less counterplay.

To counterplay Lord Cooper, you just have to stick a model in melee with him (he can't take the disengage action).

30 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Welllll, lantern of souls is just 'enemy models within :ToS-5: ignore their demise abilities.' So I'd say that is a far better ability with less counterplay.

To counterplay Lord Cooper, you just have to stick a model in melee with him (he can't take the disengage action).

Lantern is very good, but it puts the model in a range that offers more counterplay and it usually needs more than 1 activations to kill the target (either to push that model into position, or to kill it with another model while under the aura).

Cooper's gun is 14'', cover/cover buffs doesn't work and he has 3 actions (1 to move and 2 to pew pew) and a lof of damage to finish it. A model sprinting 14'' just to engage him is a dead model as it will end deep into Apex's crew (and not all crews has that level of mobility anyway): also we still don't know what other tricks that faction will have; up to now at least the effigy and the emissary may disengage him (the effigy also having accomplice to chain activate into him to deny more counterplay) and a Cooper player will probably include at least 1 way to disengage him.

I don't know how it'll work in the table, but the counterplay doesn't look that easy... maybe mass concealment could make it a bit harder for him, but that will only prevent him to get :+flip:+flipto damage from a Focused (he could still shot 2 times through concealment acepting a :-flipto the second damage flip where he shouldn't have Focused), and that's without counting his adversary shenanigans. It looks like we have Seamus 2.0 right here 🙈

25 minutes ago, Ogid said:

It looks like we have Seamus 2.0 right here 🙈

Seamus' broken gameplay stems from his teleporting all over the table, IMO.

That said, Lord Cooper might be able to provide a different sort of broken. I just noticed that the minions with the 8" aura that if you get hurt by a pit trap, a friendly apex model can shoot you... So there may be turns where Cooper shoots his gun 3-4 times.

4 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

hat said, Lord Cooper might be able to provide a different sort of broken. I just noticed that the minions with the 8" aura that if you get hurt by a pit trap, a friendly apex model can shoot you... So there may be turns where Cooper shoots his gun 3-4 times.

Don't forget the "hold down" trigger on Ullr's trapping jaws for another bonus shot!

For the hunters ability with traps, fortunately for the opponent, he can discard a card to prevent being shot.
So I'm thinking that this ability might be more of a board control/resource consumption forced on the ennemy (you can't go there or you'll get shot/loose a card).

Then again the bear trap launcher trigger on the hunters puts it in base contact with the ennemy, so he can't really avoid it.
And with intimidating roar on Artemis, the tendrils & tail whip on the malifausaurus rex, and other move/push effect on other models, you can force the ennemy into the trap.

Combined with the crypsis corps' beneath the leaves ability, that increases the range of concealing, severe & hazardous terrain for ennemies, it feels like playing the traps well might take a bit of getting used to, and have a big potential to be a huge pain to deal with.

I'd say that is why I'm even more interested in the crew now.
I initially was into it for the "big game hunter" vibe and the prospect of having a shooty crew (which I don't have right now), with some potential beasts here & there to go engage ennemies.
But when seeing the trap shenaningans, the move/push options (for your models or the ennemies) on a lot of models, the auras of the M-Rex or Model 9 to help target ennemies around them, and also these really interesting totems, the crew seems to have a really interesting way to play that will not be much straight forward.

I'm looking forward to see more of the explorer's society, including the upgrades & versatile models!