Caedrus

2020 Monthly Painting Challenge - August

Welcome to the 2020 Wyrd Painting Challenge!

This is the thread for the August Painting Challenge. I’m Caedrus, and I have the very great pleasure of being your host for 2020. While I am proud to be your host, this competition belongs to all of us, and if there’s anything that we can better to improve the Challenge, please do let me know.

The link to the painter spreadsheet is here.

The 2020 Wyrd Monthly Painting Challenge is all about:

1. Having fun painting!
  2. Motivating yourself, and encouraging others.
  3. Being part of a great, friendly community.
  4. Giving and receiving constructive advice. And, finally:
  5. Getting some pigment onto plastic!

This is not a competition in any way.

The pledge categories are the following:

• Minion: you paint at least 1 Soulstone worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Enforcer: you paint at least 6 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Henchman: you paint at least 11 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Master: you paint at least 16 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Tyrant: you paint at least 31 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month

The rules:

• The challenge started on January 1st, 2020. 
  • Models count for the month in which you finish them. You can finish painting a model that you started before the beginning of the month.
  • Everyone may fail to make their monthly goal twice and stay in the challenge. This is using a mulligan. See the Buy-Back rule, below.
  • You can choose to go down a pledge level during the year, but you cannot move up.
  • A model is considered painted if it is (1) based (even glued onto a black base counts); (2) tournament legal. That means that if it's a translucent, based model, it counts automatically. If it is any opaque material, then the standard is: Every part of the miniature painted, and three colours minimum.

A new rule for 2020: The Buy-Back

Everyone has good months and bad months. To encourage people to continue to paint, we will be trying out a new rule this year: the Buy-Back. In the past, if you have used your two mulligans, you’re out of the Challenge!

However, in 2020, you can buy your way back into the challenge. All you have to do is to undertake your normal pledge and paint for the month, AND undertake the pledge and paint from one of the months you mulliganed.

E.g.: Sarah is painting at Enforcer level (6SS/month), and she’s needed to mulligan for the third time. She announces that for the upcoming month, she’ll paint 12SS. If she does so, she’s back in the Challenge!

At such a time, it might be worthwhile considering dropping down a category, but that’s up to Sarah!

Miniature Values:

Malifaux

• Almost all models count as their Soulstone value; but
  • Masters count for 15 soulstones.
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones.
  • Proxies (constructed from Wyrd models) count for their proxy value.

The Other Side

• Titans count for 25 soulstones.
  • Commanders count for 15 soulstones.
  • Adjunct models count for 5 soulstones.

Otherwise:

• A 30mm base model is worth 5 soulstones.
  • A 40mm base model is worth 7 soulstones.
  • A 50mm base model is worth 10 soulstones.
  • Markers count for 2 soulstones if they're flat, or 5 soulstones if they're 3D and fancy

Terrain

• ·       Scatter Piece (5SS): A modest piece of terrain, or a small number of scattered terrain pieces. These are the spray-can and dry-brush pieces.
  • ·       Focus Piece (10SS): A terrain piece that represents a focal point of pride in a terrain board. These pieces require a decent amount of construction and painting.
  • ·       Centre Piece (20SS): A terrain piece that is a significant centrepiece to the terrain. A handmade forest, a mausoleum, or a train engine.
  • ·       Masterpiece (50SS): A gorgeous, unique terrain piece that makes people wonder if you get out much.
  • ·       War and Peace (100SS): A complete, themed 3’x3’ terrain board.

My very best for August, and the second half of 2020! May it be a bit less crazy than the first half!

Caedrus.

• Like 1

Dear All,

As I desperately try to get my minis finished for July, I realised that I have nothing set up for August. But that's OK, because I have a lone Drachen Trooper sitting on my desk. So, that's my pledge. 8 points of Flammerwerfer goodness.

I'll do something else, maybe even getting started on the terrain pieces I've been promising myself for ... wow ... a looong time.

See you in August - take care of yourselves, and keep putting pigment to plastic!

Caedrus.

• Like 1

Doing a Lotus Eater for my Thunders. Incorrectly assembled my first one so I can't fit a final part in. Oh freck it, I'll only need one anyway. Two tops. I managed to assemble #2 in proper order. Should be fun. Haven't done skin in a while.

Also doing magnetised arachnids/arachnid swarm to clear up space from my built-shelf. They'll be done quick 'n lazy.

pic5563906.jpg

• Like 2

I'm still not sure what i'll do in august, since the Onis are over, i'll probably go back to finish my outcasts.  I have a desolation engine and the effigy built and primed, and the emissary build pending.

On the other hand, i had this project of doing a scenic base for all my "plague" crew, and in august I'll have more time than ever, and i just got my airbrush... so sounds like is the time for big, ambitious terrain pieces.

I'm gonna pledge the terrain, and hopefully finish it this month.  I'd consider it a 50ss Masterpiece (Caedrus named it, not me! ^^ ), i hope the result honors the pledge-level name 🤞

• Like 2

I'm looking to round out some of the crews I've completed. This will be an "all-over" the place month. Some Cyclops for the Euripides crew, some pigs and stuff for Ulix and maybe something that just needs painting. 

• Like 1

If I'm allowed to join, I'm gonna paint (at least) each faction's effigy.

840763402_WhatsAppImage2020-07-27at09_56_33.thumb.jpeg.e2a04e971837cc399f7ad633df04404d.jpeg

And then it will come most of the Permformer keyword (doves and Carlos are already painted).

IMG_20200731_225413.thumb.jpg.4379c8e9fd6f6b025c4d8e48ab23dd6f.jpg

• Like 6

August I will pledge 3x Crooligan, that will complete the Forgotten Keyword. Then maybe Lampads and a Draugr to complete the Revenant Keyword. 

After that there's just a few versatiles then its on to Ancestor

After that... I'll have a fully painted Faction!!! 😱:Necro:

• Like 2

Join monthly painting challenge for the first time. My goals for august:

1. Asura Roten with her friends

2. Carrion emissary

3. The judge (m2e)

4. Maybe mindless zombies

9F5408A1-72A4-49CB-8C95-E4EA11AC9D2F.jpeg

• Like 3

August  will be another "Round out some Key Words" month. I can't really say what yet, some pigs for Ulix and some Euripides stuff most likely.  

Due to lack of inspiration on my Basse crew on June and a disaster sticking late in July I had to take my two mulligans.
This month I will finish my M2E Victorias (the Masters only, rest of the crew has already been done).
Then I will try to buy back my two muliggans by:
1/ Finishing that bloody botched Elijah Borgman
2/ Finishing M2E Taelor

After that I think I will focus on the Colette crew for several months as I have some inspiration for them (I love saturated colours and artists are made for these)

EDIT: well after careful examination, my Elijah Borgman is really too damaged to be worth anything. I will try to find one on the 2nd hand market but I'm not optimistic. To replace him, I think I will do a spare Alison Dade that I just got.

• Like 1

Hello,

I plan to keep developing my first Ten Thundes crew so, after the Hungering Darkness pledged past month, I'll pledge Jakob Lynch for 15 ss. Hope to have time to work some other mini..... may be some Illuminated. BTW, all minis I'll go after will be from 2nd Ed. I'll upload pics with my next post... at present I'm till assembling minis.

Happy pledge to all of you...... and do not forget to keep yourself  healthy.

• Like 1

The judge before (forgot to make a photo of him, sorry for quality) and after painting.

I get this guy from my friend and his right hand was broken, so I made kitbash and sculpting.

BB217EDB-5AAB-4204-8CD1-9151DC094CB1.jpeg

9AA1888B-28D3-426A-99D2-756C0A87A2EE.jpeg

2C088AAE-AA62-4469-A3F1-6BD86AFF6617.jpeg

• Like 9

On 8/2/2020 at 10:31 AM, astapable said:

Join monthly painting challenge for the first time. My goals for august:

1. Asura Roten with her friends

2. Carrion emissary

3. The judge (m2e)

4. Maybe mindless zombies

9F5408A1-72A4-49CB-8C95-E4EA11AC9D2F.jpeg

Well, due to change of my schedule I have to mulligan on ressers and dive into my guild. Can I do so?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

OK, done all the basecoats on Allison Dade. Now I'm a the point where I will be botching all that job by doing highlights and shades.

AllisonDade_Bases2.thumb.jpg.2b79f29ddc29e8287a9895147429c90d.jpg

I'm also progressing well on my M2E Viktorias and they should be finished by end of this week-end.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

hi there!  some slow updates on the terrain piece, is a slow process, mostly bc of lack of practice, and not knowing the materials, but i have to say, that working with the extruded polystyrene is a pleasure, is kinda hard to carve the big holes and stuff, bc i don't know how to make it look neat , but for the small details is truly amazing how easy is to give shape.

There's going to be a small piece right above the sewer bit to place more minis.

Planning the whole thing was the hardest bit so far, the bases of my minis are very different one of the other and i'm trying to put them in the piece in a way that the 26 mini bases blend with the surroundings.  I might end up changing the color of the ground in 2 stolen, but other than that the bases will stay the way they are.

8SfVdiy.jpg

YSntQq7.jpg

B1XbX1x.jpg

• Like 6

As I was allowed to mulligan on ressers his month I set up my schedule to paint as much guild models as I can:

1. The m2e Judge (done)

2. 3 x Death marshals (m3e)

3. Brutal emissary

This is the minimum of models I want to paint. Hope to get the entire marshal keyword (which I ordered) shortly.

Paint some minis and have fun!

OK, so pledge for this month is done. I finished my M2E Viktorias. Or more likely, I reached a point where the more I was trying to fix thing the more I was botching others, so better to stop before they were irremediably beyond any hope.

ViktoriasM2E_Finished2.thumb.jpg.bb6838058749bba74cf85dc5e59d7df0.jpg

Now, I'm on a good path to finish Alison Dade, and M2E Taelor.

• Like 5