2020 Monthly Painting Challenge - August

Caedrus

Hey there!

For August I'll pledge what I have left to finish my Resus (for the moment!) before I jump to the new Misaki crew and friends.

* Datsue Ba: 9 SS

* Seishin x 3: 6 SS

* Guild autopsy x 2: 10 SS

* Kentauroi x 2: 16 SS

For a total of 41 SS. I've already started but forgot to post it, so pics should arrive soon enough. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Boomstick said:

Going for a big month, prepping a gift for a good friend's birthday before he moves. The entire Honeypot keyword, plus Miss Guided.

Wish me luck!

I also primed Lynch + Miss Guided this month... battle of the honeypots?  (Prolly not, as much as I'd like to do it, I realized I gotta finish the wyrdscapes house i started last month or I won't have any place on my paint table to paint anything else... and I realized if I don't force myself to finish it, it never will be finished)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, GroundPounderX said:

Are the markings/handprints freehand?  They are great!

Thanks mate.

The scars on the left one are freehand and the hands on the torso of the right one are decals. The decals are from a chaos space marines box under the night lords part of the sheet.

The freehand was applied with a dark red to a brighter one and I use my basecoat of green to make it pop by painting the edges of the markings.

I thought about that, but it is flush enough that I'd have to drill in for magnets, and I dont think any of the pieces are really thick / sturdy enough for that.  There's also details on the flat part of the bottom half (it's a wooden floor) so I wouldn't want to ruin that with a bunch of magnets / magnet holes.

4 hours ago, muraki said:

Calling the house done.  Not sure what it's worth, but whatever the cost it'll get me over the base amount for the month.

c4u5KwA.jpg

My biggest frustration with this house is the top / bottom don't click together, so idk how to keep em from sliding around.

The blue roof is a bold decision & looks very cool.  Well done!

I cannot see how the 2 pieces merge, but to avoid the sliding, maybe using some sprue bits as stoppers? 

Shape them flat and texture them like the wood panels that are already all over the house, glue them inside or outside, whatever is more convenient/looks better, and paint them in the same shades of brown so they become part of the piece too

12 hours ago, muraki said:

I thought about that, but it is flush enough that I'd have to drill in for magnets, and I dont think any of the pieces are really thick / sturdy enough for that.  There's also details on the flat part of the bottom half (it's a wooden floor) so I wouldn't want to ruin that with a bunch of magnets / magnet holes.

Can you show us a picture of the underside of the roof or where the joins would be? There may not be enough room to drill through to place magnets, but you might be able to glue them to the walls where the corners meet, etc.  You could use magnets as stoppers as mentioned by Diddick above. I've done a bit of work with magnets for another game system where a base model could have different weapons, and as long as the piece is a couple of mm wider than the magnet you can make it fit (make sure you test the poles before you glue the second side).

btw, I never commented on the paint job, I really like it:)

16 hours ago, muraki said:

You could try placing magnets and keeping them in place using green stuff that can be then masked by painting.

Thanks for the help guys!  I ordered a drill bit to try and recess some magnets, but before it arrived (should be coming today, ha) I noticed that the plate for the underside of the roof was loose, so I pulled it off to see how thick that piece was (as I was worried it was too thin to hold a magnet).  Totally was (was maybe 2 mm thick with some support beams).  At that pt I tried to see if i could just put a magnet behind the roof + behind the wood floor and if it would still 'catch'.  With my small magnets it did a little, but not very much, so I found some old rare earth magnets (maybe 1.5 cm wide) and gluing 2 of them on the inside of the roof and 2 underneath the flooring.  It worked great!  While 2 of them aren't quite strong enough that I can lift the house by it's roof, it's definitely going to stay together on the board when someone brushes past it.  And since the magnets are on the undersides of things, if I decide to just have the bottom there aren't any unsightly magnets (I was thinking i was going to have to drill them in + greenstuff + smooth over them so I wouldnt see em).

I would totally recommend this method if anyone else had a wyrdscape like this on their paint table.  I also have the observatory (though I ain't building it anytime soon) and since these things are supposed to be module, I'm thinking I could line up magnets on that piece so its easy to swap the roof from one to the other.  But that's a project for a while in the future, I wanna get back to actual models.

Thanks for the positive comments @Diddick and @Hellomurse

• Like 2

@Caedrus 17ss done

Steam Arachnid (3ss) & Arachnid Swarm (8ss):

pic5595075.jpg

Few layers of silver metallics and a bit of blue gem effect for the "eyes".  The swarm is magnetized so I can play three individual arachnids if I so choose (bases not pictured).

Lotus Eater (6ss):

pic5610319.jpgpic5610320.jpg

Got this guy done in one evening. Long evening to be sure. Considered tattoos and smoothing up the back for evening #2, but inspiration took me elsewhere. "Good enough, onwards to the next one". This was fun to paint. So simple. Another one of those minis where I'd like to give my compliments to the unnamed sculptor.

Toyed around by mixing some yellowish brown ink into my base skintone. I like how it altered the colour. Worked well with the purple shadows.

____

Lovely work, the lot of you. I hope August has been kind to you.

• Like 5