Recruiting for Lucius

theamazingmrg

So I've been thinking about what I'd like to play when things return to a semi-normal state and Lucius is a Master I really want to try (seeing as I've owned him for years!).  Looking through the models available to him he has a decent selection of Minions in his Keyword, but not a huge amount of killing potential (Agent 46 notwithstanding), which makes perfect sense given his theme.  So I was thinking about options to go with him.  Obviously there's Guild Heavy-hitters like Executioners and the Peacekeeper that can be brought in, but I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on including a Death Marshal Recruiter in the crew?

The DMR isn't exactly a killing machine, but would have one of the larger damage tracks in the crew (especially with Critical Strike).  Pine Box could be a useful tool in the right situation (and is ripe for being Obeyed/Mimic'ed as required), and the ability to replace your casualties with Death Marshals seems like a useful way of getting extra value out of your inevitable casualties. 9SS feels a little expensive for a model with out a dedicated purpose though.

So, would it work, do you think?

Difficult to justify bringing in DMR when you might not get much benefit from him other than a potential damage track (not going to be surrounded with living minions to convert into death marshalls or benefit from buried models to target), he can be a little easy to kill as well. Personally I prefer to tax in ranged options depending on the board & terrain types a pathfinder or rifleman (or even exocists depending on the matchup) can be handy. AP can be shoved into them via orders being issued if required, or 46 can copy for a better stat line to remove key models turns 1 or 2 without you having to over extend him.

Personally I like 46's damage output in that I can put in as much AP as I feel I require though lucius, changeling and lawyers, ensuring the model i want dead that turn ends up that way! Having all your eggs in one basket is dangerous mind, unless you position him carefully.

So recently I have tried bringing in Alan Reid, Dr Grimwell or both, the damage potential and mobility is good, passing out staggared in the right places can help deny points or lock key models down.

3 minutes ago, Delvan said:

[Death marshal is] not going to be surrounded with living minions to convert into death marshalls

I was about to argue this point, but 8ss is a pretty big bite out of the Minions budget for the crew, and I certainly don't think he replaces Alan/46/output model of choice.

Worth a go with Dashel, but I don;t think Lucius runs the right kind of crew for this gimmick.

37 minutes ago, Delvan said:

Difficult to justify bringing in DMR when you might not get much benefit from him other than a potential damage track (not going to be surrounded with living minions to convert into death marshalls or benefit from buried models to target), he can be a little easy to kill as well. Personally I prefer to tax in ranged options depending on the board & terrain types a pathfinder or rifleman (or even exocists depending on the matchup) can be handy. AP can be shoved into them via orders being issued if required, or 46 can copy for a better stat line to remove key models turns 1 or 2 without you having to over extend him.

While I can completely see that the DMR may well not be worth it, I'm not so sure about the not having enough Living Minions to benefit from the Replace.  Lawyers/Changelings/Investigators/False Witnesses are a nice spread of Living Minions.  The DMR won't be near all of them, all the time, but would get some use out of his ability, I would have thought.

Rifleman is probably a good call though!

37 minutes ago, DuBlanck said:

I was about to argue this point, but 8ss is a pretty big bite out of the Minions budget for the crew, and I certainly don't think he replaces Alan/46/output model of choice.

Worth a go with Dashel, but I don;t think Lucius runs the right kind of crew for this gimmick.

Yeah, that 9ss (hooray for Keyword Tax 😑) is a lot.

Best thing to do is test it, if you like the results stick with it, I really wish the DMR was versatile!

If you see yourself getting value, then the model is working for sure, but at 9 stones I have Grimwell instead, he will kill the enemies scheme runners or key models, deny schemes and strats completely, lock down certain parts of the board and can use soul stones, he could even get you some cards! For 2 more stones (DMR and an upgrade) I have a pale rider wandering around!

For a stone less I get Alan Reid, min 3 alot of the time, execute trigger can be brutal late turn, especially if you accidentally stone in that crow.... but even early turn its draining the opponents cards, alot like his bonus action, an aura for no bonus actions nearby reduces enemy AP, drawing at least one card a turn, slowing models down, drawing extra cards.

There's never a wrong answer so don't stress! But some combinations can give you really good value 😁

• Like 1

My experiences with Investigators and Reid aren't really positive. Investigators require a lot of extra ap to work and the 0" engagement is what hinders them the most. A fun combo is a Pale Rider with the AoE charge to draw you an extra hand. 

I usually start with Agent, Doppelganger and 1-2 changelings. Jury seems fun due to the fact Agent and Doppel can copy it with the mask.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a minion, but has anyone already tried out the Emissary with Doppelgaenger and Changelings in a Lucius Crew. Having multiple "Il A Cage for all" Auras via Changelings looks funny to me while Doppelgaenger and Agent 46 who can borrow his Greatsword. "Boring Conversation" by Alan adds an additional annoying Aura on this.

37 minutes ago, Humphrey said:

Not a minion, but has anyone already tried out the Emissary with Doppelgaenger and Changelings in a Lucius Crew. Having multiple "Il A Cage for all" Auras via Changelings looks funny to me while Doppelgaenger and Agent 46 who can borrow his Greatsword. "Boring Conversation" by Alan adds an additional annoying Aura on this.

Auras don't stack so you would only have to take 1 test. 

I like the Executionier and Pathfinder for Lucius. Executionier gives you a lot of trigger denying and Pathfinder allows shooting to concealment.

On 7/22/2020 at 12:55 PM, theamazingmrg said:

So I was thinking about options to go with him.  Obviously there's Guild Heavy-hitters like Executioners and the Peacekeeper that can be brought in, but I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on including a Death Marshal Recruiter in the crew?

The DMR isn't exactly a killing machine, but would have one of the larger damage tracks in the crew (especially with Critical Strike).  Pine Box could be a useful tool in the right situation (and is ripe for being Obeyed/Mimic'ed as required), and the ability to replace your casualties with Death Marshals seems like a useful way of getting extra value out of your inevitable casualties. 9SS feels a little expensive for a model with out a dedicated purpose though.

So, would it work, do you think?

I can't help much with him in GUI as I play his purple side, but with him you basically look for minions that are easy to command directly or non-minions with good abilities for your mimics; as investigators and Alan play with staggered, those may benefice from models that benefice from/help with that staggered theme; gunlines works well with him in NVB, but I guess you have better masters for that in GUI.

I'd say aside from the one you named, Field Reporters, Rifleman, Pathfinder, Thalarian, Exorcist (versus a summoner), Domador de cadaveres and Thralls could be good minions to pair with him (or Dashel that may summon minions)

I think you are right, DMR could work well with him; specially if you include the emissary and send him to do his own thing away from Lucius: If the emissary is left unchecked, he should score/kill you whatever you send it there for, if your adversary send something he can deal with, then he will handle it; but if things start not going his way or your adversary send something he can't manage, he may bury something already activated for the DMR to kill (and as he is a minion, Lucius may easily give him extra AP). That's a list where he may have an interesting role.

Another list where he may be worth its salt is one where you plan to include several weak minons (changellins, False Witnesses and Layers) but expect agression; some of those models will die, but you'll get a few Death Marshals out of it.

I think that damage wise there are better options for the crew than the DMR tho; if you are not using those bury shenanigans or need it to recicle minions that will probably die, I'd pick something different.

Tell us how it goes if you try it!

• Thanks 1