My first Misaki game (vs Zipp)

Regelridderen

The game was Wedge into Symbols of Authority

My crew was :

Misaki, Shanghai, Ototo, Minako Rei, Wanyudo, Dawn Serpent, 2x Torakage, 4 stones

my schemes : Breakthrough, Catch and Release

Zipp brought :

Zipp (12 Cups), Earl Burns, First Mate (2 g in a ghilliie), Manchester Roja, Iron Skeeter (2g in a ghillie), Iron Skeeter, Wrastler, 6 stones

Breakthrough, Spread them out.

-

Amazing game. With two enormously fast crews its hard to recall.

First two turns Zipp dumped pianos to block my approach on the left flank, while he and Burns raced to score a symbol in my corner in t3. Earl got left and helhed score a point of Breakthrough and Spread, while Zipp zipped back to block off Wanyudo from scoring the symbol in the far left corner.

Misaki spent the first three turns fighting Mancha and a disguised Iron Skeeter, until finally she could fall back and save the final symbol in my right corner.

Ototo didn’t do much, but was critical in his ability to dump Shadow Markers on his own, and managed to land the killing blow on Mancha Roja, when he finally got to use his Tetsubo.

Minako Rei wasn’t impressive either, but the two Katashiro she summoned did wonders dumping scheme markers and removing pianos and scoring a symbol. She did however teach Mancha a lesson, when she took him for the 5 damage, he’d landed on her.

The torakage were great, Mv7 and the ability to create shadow markers were crucial in allowing Misaki to go back and deny my opponent his fourth symbol, and the second points of Breakthrough and Spread. I was hoping to score catch and release, but only got the 1st point due to losing initiative and a red joker from the 1st Mate.

Wanyudo didn’t do much either, although he did end up tying Zipp up. Which is a feat in itself, I guess.

-

In the end I scored 3 points for Symbols, 2 points for Breakthrough and 1 point for Catch and Release vs 3 Points for Symbols, 1 for Breakthrough and 1 for Spread them out.

I find the Misaki crew very forgiving to play, Misaki being able to be all over the board. The speed with which you can reposition and adjust is amazing, I can only imagine how powerful it can be, once I get to understand and utilize the synergies properly.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Not bad! Yeah, Ototo is the slowest model in the list. He's  a great anchor, once you lock up some models, he can finish the job. It's interesting that you spent so much time creating Shadow Markers. The great thing about having so many Agile models is that you can make all of your Schemes happen and completely ignore combat if you don't want to take part. 

Misaki also has unique flexibility in that she can go from killing to scheme-running depending on your needs. It takes practice to figure out what's best for the situation. I've chosen the wrong one before... just takes practice.

I just played a Misaki game against Euripedes, and in a straight-up fight he would have crushed me. But I simply jammed him back with faster models, dropped all of my scheme markers, and pulled ahead on points while losing models. Coming from different systems, that's the hardest concept to get around - killing doesn't win games, and I've won games losing half of my army and my opponent losing maybe 1.

@regleant It might have come off, as I put a lot of effort into creating Shadow markers. In reality it wasn’t that much - Ototo created one every turn, but using a mask to increase his movement. Then a Torakage schemed and flipped for a Shadow marker once, maybe twice. My opponent managed to disrupt me once by placing two 40mm bases to block my access. So I wasn’t going out of my way to create Shadow markers - although the Torakage moving/scheming/flipping was instrumental in getting Misaki back to defend the symbols. 

My biggest ‘problem’ was to find out how to use Misaki’s bury/unbury mechanic. I ended up doing so every turn for defense and flexibility, but I wonder if that was the ‘right’ choice. 

1 hour ago, Regelridderen said:

My biggest ‘problem’ was to find out how to use Misaki’s bury/unbury mechanic. I ended up doing so every turn for defense and flexibility, but I wonder if that was the ‘right’ choice. 

It depends what you want to do in your turn with Misaki and where are the shadow markers! I usually bury every turn to keep my opponent on his toes and also to create more shadow markers! This opens up a lot your attack vector with Misaki! The biggest drawbacks of burying her is that opponent can remove the shadow marker you wanted to come back from and Misaki will usually be slowed if you activated a few models.

Misaki is a squishy master and good pressure on her will hurt! This is why I like to bury her a lot because with the help of her crew she can pop almost anywhere on the board giving you more options! If I have a good target (lone enemy schemer far from enemy beaters, I go for an hit & run strategy. If no easy to kill model is vulnerable I switch to schemer mode with her)

There's also reasons to not bury! For example if you haven't manage to kill the model you wanted dead, you could decide to stay engage to kill him! (Beware if beaters are near, this could be Misaki's downfall) you could also decide to fool your opponent into focusing her so you can take a massive lead in points with your other models? like in chess when you sacrifice your queen to assure you the victory! 😉

Last Blossom is by far my favorite crew to play because in this game mobility is key and this is their main strength! It's also nice to feel like a sneaky ninja attacking form every angles and going back into shadows to attack elsewhere! ❤️ 

So are you not using the Shadow Chariot technique (model with Masked Agent stands on shadow marker, Misaki appears on last activation, commands model to charge, With Me's Misaki into melee) because you haven't figured it out or because you have a soul still?

18 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

So are you not using the Shadow Chariot technique (model with Masked Agent stands on shadow marker, Misaki appears on last activation, commands model to charge, With Me's Misaki into melee) because you haven't figured it out or because you have a soul still?

That doesn't make it any harder for the shadow marker to be destroyed, so if my opponent was to use this, I'd consider a mid turn shadow marker destruction to stop her getting out near the "with me" model.

Edit - Although that does look like a cute trick I like the idea of it...

1 hour ago, Adran said:

That doesn't make it any harder for the shadow marker to be destroyed, so if my opponent was to use this, I'd consider a mid turn shadow marker destruction to stop her getting out near the "with me" model.

On, near, next to, whichever.  I go on because more often than not, out of sight out of mind.

How you wish to go about the mind game is your choice.

3 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

That's just.., wow. Okay, guess what I'm trying out in my next game!