Upcoming Reva game

Playing Reva this weekend into Arcanists: standard deployment, Public Enemies, with assassinate, claim jump, hidden martyrs, leave your mark, and spread them out.

Is it too obvious to just go full killy and plan to take assassinate and martyrs? Or maybe maybe martyrs with one of LYM/STO/Claim depending on what master he picks

thinking about Toshiro, Manos, 2x shieldbearers was GST, and one of (Wanyudo, Flesh Construct, Draugr) depending on the opponent’s master. Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Played less than ten games with Reva, so take this all with a grain of salt.

Are you confident you can take him in an all out brawl? Do you know what master they have?

My ideal scenario for this pool is taking claim jump if I can dominate the centre (or Leave your Mark). Then if you dominate the centre, the only way he can score points is coming to you or spreading his forces really thin for Spread Them out. This way you can force a "come to me or I win" scenario, which gives you a lot of control over the flow of the game.

If you do go this route, Toshiro + Grave Golem are probably going to make a very solid team for holding the centre. Reva will be killing models while keeping a safe distance (especially with grave golem tanking front lines/thrown corpse candles into position).

Another thing I like about grave golem is that it is not at all card hungry if you can give it focus, perfect in a shieldbearer crew (although I must confess I've not had a chance to try the combo yet).

If you do want to go assassinate, make sure he has a master that isn't too good at running away or you have a lot of resources available to chasing them across the table and killing them. Many people will keep their master ridiculously safe in a scenario like this (for example, I'd take Molly + Toshiro and that is an incredibly hard nut to crack).

For Wanyudo/Flesh Construct/Draugr, I'm not sure they are necessary. They are highly mobile, but this seems more like a 'take and hold territory' scenario than a win with scheme runners scenario.

• Like 1

Oh neat :) Burning 1 is a neat counter to armor, so hopefully that lines up well!

I've never played against Mei Feng before, but I'd probably try something like:

• Reva + corpse candles.
  • Anna Lovelace
  • Toshiro, the Daimyo
  • Grave Golem
  • Shieldbearer
  • Shieldbearer
  • 7 stones for cache and upgrades.

Then you take Claim Jump (Grave Golem) and any other scheme. Could swap in Manos for something if you want to take a scheme on his side of the board. Could also swap in a Lampad for extra burning, but they are pretty weak. EDIT: I suppose Wanyudo can apply burning too!

He'll probably be jumping all over the board, but if he wants to stop you scoring he has to come disrupt your claim to the centre. You could even go Claim Jump + Leave your Mark and score 4 points if he avoids you all game (guarantees he will come to you to fight, or he loses).

I say this partially based on the assumption of Mei Feng's crew being really maneuverable and hard to pin down, so could be wrong. I also assume you'll win a brawl in the centre, but could be mistaken.

2 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Oh neat :) Burning 1 is a neat counter to armor, so hopefully that lines up well!

I've never played against Mei Feng before, but I'd probably try something like:

• Reva + corpse candles.
  • Anna Lovelace
  • Toshiro, the Daimyo
  • Grave Golem
  • Shieldbearer
  • Shieldbearer
  • 7 stones for cache and upgrades.

This is what I was thinking too. For upgrades, I generally like Killer instinct on Reva, Whisper on Toshiro, and GST on the Shieldbearers. Given KI I could probably survive with 3-5 starting stones, which leaves me with 1, possibly 2 upgrades to dole out. 

Any thoughts on what the priorities are? I'd probably lean to KI and Whisper, but the shieldbearers are quite hard to shift with GST on them...choices choices!

17 minutes ago, Speedguyjp said:

This is what I was thinking too. For upgrades, I generally like Killer instinct on Reva, Whisper on Toshiro, and GST on the Shieldbearers. Given KI I could probably survive with 3-5 starting stones, which leaves me with 1, possibly 2 upgrades to dole out. 

Any thoughts on what the priorities are? I'd probably lean to KI and Whisper, but the shieldbearers are quite hard to shift with GST on them...choices choices!

I don't think Foundry has much manipulative or terrifying, so at that point KI will mostly be for Loot Their Corpse. And I think you'll have enough pressure on corpse marker use already (particularly as the enemy drops lots of scrap over corpses).

Shieldbearers are possibly tanky enough as is. But could be very useful to have one with GST to have an option for claim jump/make him unsure which model is claim jumping.

Toshiro with the Whisper may save you a high card per turn, so I'd probably start with that. He can also make use of it with his target numbers.

Oh boy, I'm not sure how a brawl in the center would go. Her crew gets alot of focus and shielded, her spamming breathe of fire could be bad, as well as metal golem bonus and Mei fang as well, could be bad to group up. 

Like mentioned, you'll never pin down her crew, so maybe rider can help with some speed, and hitting power, feel like grave golem won't do as well, though its demise is nice. 

Also, Bayou Feng is really good, imo. Sparks, and survivors are really good for her crew. Bombs in yer belly from Sparks is a pain 😛 and survivors are just really solid scheme runners

3 hours ago, Wyamphri said:

Oh boy, I'm not sure how a brawl in the center would go. Her crew gets alot of focus and shielded, her spamming breathe of fire could be bad, as well as metal golem bonus and Mei fang as well, could be bad to group up. 

Like mentioned, you'll never pin down her crew, so maybe rider can help with some speed, and hitting power, feel like grave golem won't do as well, though its demise is nice. 

Also, Bayou Feng is really good, imo. Sparks, and survivors are really good for her crew. Bombs in yer belly from Sparks is a pain 😛 and survivors are just really solid scheme runners

You certainly know the matchup better than I! Do you have an idea of what you'd bring?

One concern I'd have with a mobile approach though is that for Reva at least, it tends to separate the crew. You could easily end up in a position where Dead Rider and Reva get isolated and its her whole team against the two models (easily scoring 4 points off them). That'd be incredibly hard to come back from. One thing I like about a 'castle' approach is that then the entire crew gets to stick together and score.

8 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

You certainly know the matchup better than I! Do you have an idea of what you'd bring?

One concern I'd have with a mobile approach though is that for Reva at least, it tends to separate the crew. You could easily end up in a position where Dead Rider and Reva get isolated and its her whole team against the two models (easily scoring 4 points off them). That'd be incredibly hard to come back from. One thing I like about a 'castle' approach is that then the entire crew gets to stick together and score.

I wish I could give better advice but I only have 2 games in as Reva, but have dealt with that crew alot. Vent steam is gonna suck if she goes for the middle, and in that case, grave golem would be great, since I believe it affects non constructs. I understand the fear of her crew ganging up on a few speedy models, but I've found speed helps her have to make a few tough choices.

As mentioned, Anna could be nice as I've found Arik in Freikorps very nice at shutting down their 12 in move. Removing key scrap markers are also very helpful after they jump somewhere, so they cant just immediately jump back to where they want. Idk, it's a tricky match for Reva I think, but I'm a noob when it comes to her xD

• Agree 1

So we just wrapped - 6-3 to the Reva crew!

My list was Reva, 2cc, Toshiro + Whisper, Anna Lovelace, 2x Shieldbearer, Grave Golem (5 stones)

His List: Mei Feng, Forgeling, Sparks, Mechanical Swarm, Metal Golem, Metal Gamin, Soulstone Miner, Rail Worker

I took Claim Jump and Leave your Mark. He took Hidden Martyrs and Assassinate.

There was a decent amount of terrain on the board and it did end up as mostly a scrum in the middle of the board. The Anna and Sparks Hostile environments shut down a bunch of tricks for both of us. Despite his armor my crew ended up being a little more tanky especially with the burning. I removed a bunch of scrap markers early which made it more difficult for him to get around efficiently. I ended up getting 3 points from Public Enemies, 2 from Leave your Mark, and 1 from Claim jump - I missed a 2nd claim jump point by 1/2" - after a lucky red joker spiked my grave golem and forced me to bury/unbury too far away from the center on the last turn. 

The Mechanical Arachnid Swarm is quite nasty, especially with the bombs in your belly upgrade. I ended up just not attacking it all game. It was in base contact with Reva but I just used my other attacks and since it was a scrum I had range to other models. Between the stones and plus flips from burning (and the healing) I never went below 5 wounds all game. 

It was a bloodbath and quite fun! Thanks for the support!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Speedguyjp said:

So we just wrapped - 6-3 to the Reva crew!

My list was Reva, 2cc, Toshiro + Whisper, Anna Lovelace, 2x Shieldbearer, Grave Golem (5 stones)

His List: Mei Feng, Forgeling, Sparks, Mechanical Swarm, Metal Golem, Metal Gamin, Soulstone Miner, Rail Worker

I took Claim Jump and Leave your Mark. He took Hidden Martyrs and Assassinate.

There was a decent amount of terrain on the board and it did end up as mostly a scrum in the middle of the board. The Anna and Sparks Hostile environments shut down a bunch of tricks for both of us. Despite his armor my crew ended up being a little more tanky especially with the burning. I removed a bunch of scrap markers early which made it more difficult for him to get around efficiently. I ended up getting 3 points from Public Enemies, 2 from Leave your Mark, and 1 from Claim jump - I missed a 2nd claim jump point by 1/2" - after a lucky red joker spiked my grave golem and forced me to bury/unbury too far away from the center on the last turn. 

The Mechanical Arachnid Swarm is quite nasty, especially with the bombs in your belly upgrade. I ended up just not attacking it all game. It was in base contact with Reva but I just used my other attacks and since it was a scrum I had range to other models. Between the stones and plus flips from burning (and the healing) I never went below 5 wounds all game. 

It was a bloodbath and quite fun! Thanks for the support!

Yasssss, glad you had fun (and that you won!)

• Agree 1