Sign in to follow this  
Domin

Blasts marker goes away?

Question

As we know, Blasts are Markers that are Dropped and follow all the rules for Dropping Markers.

The question is - should Blast Markers be removed at the end of the action that Dropped them, or they stay on a table and still interact with other stuff - for example, preventing the Creation of other Markers? 

I haven't found any rules that stay that the Blast markers should be removed (as they are for Shockwaves, for example). 

13 answers to this question

18 hours ago, santaclaws01 said:

Blast markers aren't even actually markers as far as the rules are concerned. They're representations of a :blast effect.

I think that this was the intent by the release of M3, but the examples in the rule book do still call them blast markers.

6 hours ago, Domin said:

Nope. They are called "Blast Markers" in an example and also folllow the rules for Dropping Markers - then can't be dropped on an Impassable terrain, even if it seems totally non-logic.

They follow the rules for dropping markers if they are a marker.

We managed to get through M2 without anyone noticing that the rules don't tell you to remove blast markers, but I guess there wasn't anything that interacted with them. I'll have to check my older rules to see if they were removed in 1 and 1.5, and that obvious line of text was just removed without anyone noticing...

Edit - it's not mentioned in my first edition rule book either! We've never been able to remove blast markers! 

Technically, it looks like no.... but they don't do anything after that attack is over:  walking into them does nothing, moving them does nothing. 

If you want to use them for Research Mission, I'd inform your findings to the person you're playing with first cause no one likes "gotcha" moments.

Side question: how do you resolve multiple blast markers that are on different heights? Can you have one on the roof and the second in the air? Does it fall of or what?

Yeah....  No, the fact that the blast rules don’t say to remove the blast markers after resolving the effect is an oversight.  They don’t stay on the table.

14 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

Technically, it looks like no.... but they don't do anything after that attack is over:  walking into them does nothing, moving them does nothing. 

If you want to use them for Research Mission, I'd inform your findings to the person you're playing with first cause no one likes "gotcha" moments.

Markers, even when they have no listed effect, still can affect the course of the game.

Some models can use Markers, no matter the type or properties, like Molly or Poltergeist.

And most of all - markers that are Created (most of Impassable markers, for example) can not overlap other Markers.

Narratively, it makes sense that an explosion or similar effect leaves a scar on earth.

11 hours ago, solkan said:

Yeah....  No, the fact that the blast rules don’t say to remove the blast markers after resolving the effect is an oversight.  They don’t stay on the table.

But - why? Scheme markers rules also don't say to remove after resolving the action that dropped them - and they stay on a table. What's the difference then?

10 hours ago, santaclaws01 said:

Blast markers aren't even actually markers as far as the rules are concerned. They're representations of a :blast effect.

Nope. They are called "Blast Markers" in an example and also folllow the rules for Dropping Markers - then can't be dropped on an Impassable terrain, even if it seems totally non-logic.

I believe the call out box is wrong. My guess is its a leftover from an earlier version that slipped through the cracks. 

The rules fo blast stats that "A :blast is represented by a 50 mm base." it would be the only marker in the game to be represented by a base instead of simply having a size.

On top of that the rules section never refers to :blastas a marker, except in the call out box. 

Shockwaves on the other hand clearly states that you drop a shockwave marker. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Domin said:

They are only referred to as blast markers in an example of how they are used. They are not defined as markers in the actual rules text of blasts.

To be fair to OP, those callout boxes are still part of the rules.

But seems like one of those situations you have to accept the rules aren't perfect and just go with the clear intention (drop it as a marker, but remove it).

Malifaux breaks down a bit under minute rules-lawyering.

Although see Mysterious Emissary.

It doesn't say it stays on the table, that seems to be implied already (you would think it would clarify if you normally remove blast markers).

It very well could be the intention that blast markers stick around.

Also note cards call them blast markers, so they clearly are markers.

Definitely needs either an errata or FAQ.

To add to this - on the page discussing Shockwaves, the text explicitly states that the Shockwave marker is removed after the Action is fully resolved.  That language is missing from the Blast discussion.

Guess Zipp has always been the best Research Mission master for scoring and denial?

1 hour ago, Diceman87 said:

Guess Zipp has always been the best Research Mission master for scoring and denial?

Well, one thing we can virtually guarantee is that all the playtesters would have played with blast markers being removed.

Which means Research Mission is not designed with this interaction in mind. Personally I'll be continuing to go with the suspected intention (remove blast markers).

But your playgroup is welcome to do it however you like! Just check with your TO before trying to pull it in a tournament.

The section in the rules about :blaston page 30 doesn't use the word "marker."  It always says "a :blastis dropped"  So perhaps they did account for this.

EDIT:  Well, the example does use the term Blast Marker.  But the actual rules section doesn't.