2020 Monthly Painting Challenge - July

Caedrus

My pledge for this month: Tanuki. I need to get better at taking before photos but I always just get carried away painting before I remember to do it.
These guys were so fun to paint, I'm pretty happy with how they came out, I was torn on what colour to go for with the pots but I think terracotta was the right decision - I think the green liquid provides a nice contrast to that.

So that's 5ss x 3 = 15ss for this month.

Tanuki.thumb.jpg.f7419f5b55daabbf94542413f47a8bfa.jpg

In terms of inspirational painters:
1. Angel Giraldez - I'm sure someone has already mentioned him. Although his skill level is way beyond anything I will ever be able to achieve, observing his colour composition and especially the contrast in his painting is incredibly useful.
2. Emil Nystorm - who you might be familiar with from the Squidmar channel, has a good range of videos, which I've found provide some great approaches to a variety of basic to advanced techniques. One of his videos is actually what convinced me to finally give NMM a real go.
3. Kingscorner Painting - not sure what the name of the artist/s is but they have some amazingly clean looking paintjobs up on their social media.

• Like 8

17 hours ago, Purple Mist said:

They looks great. Home-made or produced by some company?

Thank you! They were bought - don't know the name o the store but Mr @Scatterbrain should be able to help here. I cut the largest two in half to have more markers. Each was sprayed with a layer of Satin Varnish with some glazes of turquoise in the recessess + light drybrush of pure white to pick up the edges. I thought 10 would be going overbboard but ended up using all of them at one point in my last Eurypides game. 

• Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 11:34 AM, Viruk said:

Thank you! They were bought - don't know the name o the store but Mr @Scatterbrain should be able to help here. I cut the largest two in half to have more markers. Each was sprayed with a layer of Satin Varnish with some glazes of turquoise in the recessess + light drybrush of pure white to pick up the edges. I thought 10 would be going overbboard but ended up using all of them at one point in my last Eurypides game. 

Thank you @Viruk, I hope to get some more help from Mr. @Scatterbrain.

Thanks in advance.

34 minutes ago, Viruk said:

I've bought so many sets of those for scatter, makes a board pop.  Haven't tried it for ice pillars, maybe I'll have to check that out.

If you're looking into them, I've picked up a few of their 'custom colors' sets (went for a blue / white transition) and they look super sharp.  I'd definitely consider the custom option as gadzooks is fast / helpful and it's only a bit more expensive.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Viruk said:

Many thanks.

Unfortunately they are out odf stock, but I'll save the link waiting fot they to be back available.

• 2 weeks later...

@Purple Mist I just did an order from gadzooks and noticed that while that main listing has a lot out of stock there do seem to be individual listings without pictures for the same things.  I ordered some fleur orange crystals to test it.  So this would prolly be the same small Crystal packs

https://www.gadzooksgaming.com/products/small-crystal-scatter-terrain-pack-8-pcs-blue?_pos=2&_sid=ad537f1fe&_ss=r

21 hours ago, muraki said:

@Purple Mist I just did an order from gadzooks and noticed that while that main listing has a lot out of stock there do seem to be individual listings without pictures for the same things.  I ordered some fleur orange crystals to test it.  So this would prolly be the same small Crystal packs

https://www.gadzooksgaming.com/products/small-crystal-scatter-terrain-pack-8-pcs-blue?_pos=2&_sid=ad537f1fe&_ss=r

Many Thanks,

I just placed my order as regard.