2020 Monthly Painting Challenge - July

Caedrus

@Nikodemus - if you wanted you could add some pink and blue to the gun by way of reflections. Right beside his kabuto seems like a place for pink reflections, and you could fudge more in by imagining some environmental cherry blossoms or something.

For blue some glazes down the centre of the cylinder would read as the sky while tying in to your scheme.

Not that any of these are really needed. Mini looks great as it is.

On 6/29/2020 at 2:32 AM, Caedrus said:

So, this month, I thought I would ask you, my fellow painters, who are your inspirational painters?

If you're anything like me (well, my commiseration, for a start), you might watch some regular painting blogs / vlogs / youtube channels.

Who do you watch? What do you read?

I may cannot post painted minis every month, but sure I can offer some inspirations outside our miniature painting bubble (as you all have already posted the usual suspects):

Marco Bucci did some great videos on ambient light

Zoe Hong  has a lot tutoials on color theory

Mural Joe has a very good video on how to use color theory

And if you want to go a bit into serious display painting (or anything else) James Guerney's Color And Light should be on you book shelf (and he has some good and funny videos too).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Butch said:

And if you want to go a bit into serious display painting (or anything else) James Guerney's Color And Light should be on you book shelf (and he has some good and funny videos too).

I borrowed that from the library a while back. Good read. I'm definitely considering buying it some day. Very good reference material.  And the dinotopia pictures are adorable!

• Like 2

Caedrus, reporting in!//imgur.com/3yUbnT4

Here's my Work in Progress of Talos, and the Ashes and Dust trio!

https://imgur.com/3yUbnT4

The Talos is really, really time consuming, but I wanted to stretch and see how much I could get with a brass toned NMM. I may even get them all finished by the end of the month!

Feedback is very, very welcome!

Stay safe, stay well.

Caedrus.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Caedrus said:

Caedrus, reporting in!//imgur.com/3yUbnT4

Here's my Work in Progress of Talos, and the Ashes and Dust trio!

https://imgur.com/3yUbnT4

The Talos is really, really time consuming, but I wanted to stretch and see how much I could get with a brass toned NMM. I may even get them all finished by the end of the month!

Feedback is very, very welcome!

Stay safe, stay well.

Caedrus.

Looking great so far. The inner glow on the dust-fellows is really nice and the brass looks super-good in all the complex areas like the fingers and toes of the Talos.

On the upper areas you might want to up the depth of shadow moving forward. There's less opportunity for volumetric shading on say the chest, but it'd totally reflect some dark objects in the environment with how flat and polished it is. 

You could also try work in some other colours to break up all the brass. Could use either weathering or reflections, or just go with a strong contrast on the tabard colour.

Pop out the highlight on that left knee too while you're at it.  😉

Stellar work as usual Caedrus, really looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

• Like 1

Hi there!

Just a quick WiP update, it has been a weird month and almost didn't have time to paint until yesterday, when i managed to put the base paint & some highlights on the obsidian onis.

Is it possible that those guys have a particular tiny face even for malifaux standards??? 🤔

jt4nH5i.jpg

@Caedrus & @Nikodemus impressive NMM skills on the Talos & samurai 👏👏👏

In another painting related news, I'm finally getting myself an airbrush!   Does any one have particular advice? or know good online resources to learn how to use it and more important, how to care for it?

Thanks! ♥️

• Like 9

@Diddick Excellent! You will not regret the purchase of an airbrush, but it does come with some new challenges. I recommend watching Marco Frisoni's 'Airbrushing for Miniature Painters' series on youtube. I also highly recommend investing in a spray booth. 

My best piece of personal advice is: thin your paints, even airbrush-specific paints. It makes cleaning more efficient.                      

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Stranglelove said:

@Diddick Excellent! You will not regret the purchase of an airbrush, but it does come with some new challenges. I recommend watching Marco Frisoni's 'Airbrushing for Miniature Painters' series on youtube. I also highly recommend investing in a spray booth. 

My best piece of personal advice is: thin your paints, even airbrush-specific paints. It makes cleaning more efficient.                      

Marco is great! (And definitely an airbrush wizard)   Will do, thanks!

Finished up some more terrain. Not that interesting, but it's been a slow month.

Witch hunters for scale purposes only. That and investigating any connection between Arcanists and some mine accidents that are about to happen.

QrepfMH.jpg

Xo27tWJ.jpg

41Repxm.jpg

xGG7p1a.jpg

dxo3A1Z.jpg

I'd say they're both focus pieces, so 20SS @Caedrus. I've one more that might get finished this month, although it's functionality is a bit more... questionable. 😉

• Like 6

I was largely in time to complete my mini for this month, Elijah Borgman. Nearly everything was done except the metallics. So before doing them I decided to varnish the mini with a matt varnish.
So i did what was recommended to me:
One coat of gloss varnish (went OK and no issue) then one coat of AK Ultra Matt varnish.
And that where disaster struct.

ElijahBorgman_Disaster.thumb.jpg.bd1eb23a2ef9f4699b8bbee920d0cb0b.jpg

I'm doomed. Everything I touched, painting wise turns to a disaster. No chance that I will be able to finish that by end of the month.. :((

31 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

Ouch, that looks rough.
Any idea what caused the issue? How did you apply the varnish? How long did they dry between coats?

I think they are several parameters at play, materials and process:
Materials: I used the Vallejo PU Gloss varnish as a 1st coat (no issue there) then the AK Ultra matt. Maybe a material incompatibility exacerbated by the processing issues.

Process: I used an airbrush. As the gloss varnish is very thick, I thinned it 50/50 with airbrush thinner. And, as I was told was OK, I applied the AK varnish about 40 minutes later (I was told 20 minutes is plenty enough), unthinned as it is quite fluid.
The paints themselves had plenty of time to dry. At least 48 hours and for that cape it was more than 1 week.

It seems I should have let the gloss varnish to dry at least 24 hours before applying the AK. Trouble is that I used the same process gloss then matt about 30 minuites later without problem but it was both Vallejo PU varnishes.
Anyway, the cape has been striped, re-primed, and re-base coated. I will do the highlights and shadows tomorrow. Maybe I will have time to do the touch-up to the areas affected when I stripped before end of month.

On 7/25/2020 at 9:06 PM, Antinea said:

I think they are several parameters at play, materials and process:
Materials: I used the Vallejo PU Gloss varnish as a 1st coat (no issue there) then the AK Ultra matt. Maybe a material incompatibility exacerbated by the processing issues.

Process: I used an airbrush. As the gloss varnish is very thick, I thinned it 50/50 with airbrush thinner. And, as I was told was OK, I applied the AK varnish about 40 minutes later (I was told 20 minutes is plenty enough), unthinned as it is quite fluid.
The paints themselves had plenty of time to dry. At least 48 hours and for that cape it was more than 1 week.

It seems I should have let the gloss varnish to dry at least 24 hours before applying the AK. Trouble is that I used the same process gloss then matt about 30 minuites later without problem but it was both Vallejo PU varnishes.
Anyway, the cape has been striped, re-primed, and re-base coated. I will do the highlights and shadows tomorrow. Maybe I will have time to do the touch-up to the areas affected when I stripped before end of month.

Damn, I'm not very familiar with varnishes, but it doesn't sound like you did anything wrong, I've used the vallejo gloss varinsh several times, but never applied anything else on top.  I'd say 40 mins is plenty 😕

just thinkin out loud, but maybe the unthinned matt varnish?

On 7/25/2020 at 9:06 PM, Antinea said:

I applied the AK varnish about 40 minutes later (I was told 20 minutes is plenty enough), unthinned as it is quite fluid.

Looks to me like the AK varnish was applied to thick and it stayed cohesive to itself because of the gloss surface.

Damn! I would feel so frustrated too!

18 hours ago, Stranglelove said:

I pretty much ruined my Perdita crew with a matt varnish and won't be varnishing Wyrd miniatures anymore because of it.

Unless you are manhandling your minis on a daily basis, varnishing plastic minis isn't necessary.

I varnish all of mine, but I did play for a year or more without varnishing and had zero issues during that time. And I average 1-2 games per week all year long.

I'd say you're more likely to break the mini than the paintjob when playing with Wyrd:P

____

@GlowingFruit that alligator on the back is just so👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for the total lack of interaction. Got some pretty sudden news early this month and been having to find a new apartment. Should be settled down again after August 8th, but things are a little wild.

I still managed to do up Colette though! She's not finished, but she's tabletop ready and I don't have any spare time for the rest of the month, so here's my 15ss!

20200725_160439.jpg

• Like 9

Here are three Thunder Archers to add to my Brewmaster pledge for July: 

ecmZpGb.jpgHFgo0aG.jpg

I also painted up some 1.5 metal Malifaux minis for a game I'm developing. I won't count them because they were just a rush job for playtesting, just want to show off the OG sculpts:

nRcKJcH.jpg

31E9CHW.jpg

YwEQtXm.jpg

IKpIQJw.jpg

Hope everyone is having a good month and staying healthy! Can't wait for tomorrow's Gen Con sale; Mei Feng's Nightmare crew is a must-have.

@Caedrus My total for this month is 101ss. Thanks!

• Like 9