Oh Daadee Ma, What A Big Base You Have!

Jesy Blue

So, the only masters not on 30mm bases are Euripides (cause giant), Reva and Lucas McCabe (cause horses), Nekima (cause W - I - N - G - S - P - A - N), & Sandeep because..... why now? 

Even Hoffman with oversized harness still has to cram himself on a 30mm base.  Is there some story reason on why he takes up so much space that he requires 40mm? 

Is he just wicked buff?  Is he a descendant of giants?  Is he secretly 100 gnomes in a dhoti?  Is that beard REALLY all that big?

11 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

So, the only masters not on 30mm bases are Euripides (cause giant), Reva and Lucas McCabe (cause horses), Nekima (cause W - I - N - G - S - P - A - N), & Sandeep because..... why now? 

Even Hoffman with oversized harness still has to cram himself on a 30mm base.  Is there some story reason on why he takes up so much space that he requires 40mm? 

Is he just wicked buff?  Is he a descendant of giants?  Is he secretly 100 gnomes in a dhoti?  Is that beard REALLY all that big?

There are a few man sized models that are on 40 mm base, and its not always clear why

Yamiziko, Mr Graves, Ryle, Ototo, Sandeep, Toshiro, Wrath, Oxfordian mages, Paul Crocket, Willie, Carlos. Kang, Crime Bosses ('m Sure I've missed a few)

Some of those might be because they have Huge weapons (Yamizako, Ototo, Kang) or Questionable personal habits (Toshiro, Paul Crockett), or just a general aura of danger around them (the Mages, Wrath, Carlos, Willie) or They are just imposing (Graves, Ryle, Ototo). I'd guess the magic powers, enslaved Fire demon, Large Mace combine to just make him someone very protective of his personal space.

Since range is measured from the edge of the base, the larger the base the further the range of all actions and abilities. In the same vein the larger the base the easier it is to draw LoS to and from the model. There are mechanical properties to base sizes, they aren't just aesthetic. As far as the the reason for base sizes for individual models we can only interpret what the intention was from rules, lore, and the sculpt.

Taking Sandeep for example, his larger than normal base size might have been that in 2nd edition, when he was introduced, his mechanics were about giving models within 12" access to his actions and that he had a 2" melee, stat 6, but only 1/2/3 damage making him good at locking down an area and the larger base size would facilitate both of those aspects. His 3rd Edition rules don't rely on being a melee aura carrier and so rather than tell everyone to re-base their models they just rolled with it as is. Another reason could be for the sculpt as his weapon sticks out on a fairly thin rod with wispy energy bits swirling around him. I know from personal experience having Manos on a 30mm base, his lantern has broken off enough times that I just don't bother with it anymore, so perhaps there was some foresight on the possible fragility of the model.

• Thanks 1