New to Ulix and the Bayou

Drowsheep

Hey all!

I'm mostly a TT player, so other than whacking gremlins with katanas and the Brewmaster in 2e, I haven't touched too many Bayou models myself.

I just played a game against Ulix and the crew looked like a lot of fun.  I'm usually not a fan of this type of playstyle, but I like the goofiness of the pigs, so I'm considering going in!

I've been looking over their cards and color me intrigued.  What do people think about Ulix's keywords, and what models are auto-takes, and what gets left behind a lot? 

Ulix is a sleeper master... not too many people play him because of the cost of ALL THE MODELS, but once your in, it's a super strong crew! 

After main box you need the Making Bacon box (The Sow & Piglets) because that's the basis for your summoning, and War Pigs because WAR PIGS!  Then Hog Whispered & Slophauler.  After that, I've seen 2 camps of keep Old Major, or replace with Gracie.  Both are good but different; the choice is yours.

Apparently Swine Cursed are only good in Wizz Bang.... but make up your own mind about them.

However, the very first thing you have to decide, though, is Pigs or Ponies!

WYR21092.thumb.jpg.d0f473ad08c1e630c76b6d3f4cd5c4e5.jpg

• Like 1

Oh Ponies for sure--which is why I'm slightly hesitant to hop in--but with the current promotions going on I feel like I need to take a leap and get in before I miss the chance to grab all these cuties XD

What's the opinion on Slop-Haulers vs Hog Whisperers?  In the game I played in they both didn't do too much against me.  Seems like Whisperers are slightly better summoners while Slops are healers?  What's more useful?  Having piglets or healing the reckless pigs I've got?

I'm no expert, but Hog Whiperers have Herd 'em (Obey), which is amazing, and Slop Haulers have massive heals, but most everyone else has a little bit of healing.

Lucky you, Third Floor Wars is doing a deep dive into Ulix tomorrow!    https://anchor.fm/thirdfloorwars

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 10:05 AM, Clement said:

Taking on to this, how many war pigs is "enough"?  Are you all routinely getting all 3 out?   Or would 2 suffice...

I'd be interested to know.  It seems like an easy thing to hire boars and make them into War Pigs--though that's at the expense of bringing some of the named pigs?

Seems a bit hard to get up to three quickly--though over the course of a game I could see it happening, maybe.  This is, of course, based off my one game playing against Ulix, tbh.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2020 at 12:54 AM, OracleToronto said:

My one thing to add, Reice mistakenly says that slop haulers(and hog whisperers) summon off of "scrap" and corpse markers, when they actually summon off of schemes and corpses. As the hog whisperer has tools for the job and can easily pick up moderate rams you need in your discard pile, you can fairly reliably use them to summon a few piglets turn 1 or 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Just started looking at Ulix myself. The front of his card has "Sturdy Critters", which allows you to pitch a card to give a 1/2/2 heal (depending on the value of the card you pitch). Soooo, why ever pitch a Severe?

Wyrd just felt that a 1/2/3 heal was slightly too good, so no point chucking a Severe, unless you really have to?

55 minutes ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

Just started looking at Ulix myself. The front of his card has "Sturdy Critters", which allows you to pitch a card to give a 1/2/2 heal (depending on the value of the card you pitch). Soooo, why ever pitch a Severe?

Wyrd just felt that a 1/2/3 heal was slightly too good, so no point chucking a Severe, unless you really have to?

Quick comment - It isn't a Heal, but rather a Damage Reduction. Very important difference in Malifaux.

And no, you'd never really toss out a Severe unless you're in a pinch. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2020 at 8:43 PM, GrumpyGrandpa said:

Quick comment - It isn't a Heal, but rather a Damage Reduction. Very important difference in Malifaux.

Good point, thanks. Reminded me to check out "Dmg Prevention" vs "Dmg Reduction" in this new edition, but it seems that there *is* no more Dmg Prevention? Soulstones can be used to Reduce Dmg in M3e, rather than Prevent. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ulrix will be my first Bayou master as well, and really looking forward to getting to playing him. 

Just seem so much fun to have tiny piglets become warpigs and just run them at the enemy. If this is good or not... I don't really care it will be good for a laugh.

Really enjoyed the discussion in this thread though. Loads of good advice. 

• 5 weeks later...

I've only played him twice, but had a blast both times. He's a fun Master, and I love the theme of silly piggies running around (also, for me at least, a lot quicker and easier to paint than Gremlins, meaning I finished the Crew really quickly).

Both games I brought one War Pig along at the start, and Summoned just one later on. While two games isn't much to go on, of course, I feel two War Pigs are enough. With the new boxes though, you'll get three, so maybe that not much of an issue.

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Shaggyclown said:

I've been looking at Ulix for a bit and there is a lot of great information in this thread. I didn't see much mentioned about Squealers though. Are they a worthwhile buy?

I have just bought them and not yet played them. But to me they look useful. Ranged attack against WP and group healing makes it a good option for that first growth in my book.

Squalers bring 2 useful things, some kind of ranged pressure and a model that goes to a War Pig in 1 action. If you have a 12+ of tomes, you get a War Pig and an Obey on him in a single action, that's massive. 

I believe in the podcast it's said that Ulix is not really Stone hungry but Card hungry. And it's true about the cards, but I've noticed I've been enjoying the crew more with 7 stones to start with. That allows to keep Old Major alive longer without discarding any cards and I use the Stones as additional card draw. 

• 3 weeks later...

late to this one again, but here's my 2 cents. Ulix is a tough master if you aren't good at positioning and hand management. Every card in your hand is pretty much ear marked for something when you start your turn. He has some pretty tough match ups especially into NVB, but he does have some play. The best  advice is just to put it on the table and try it out. See what you can come up with. I'm fond of Squealer/Piglet spam. Piglets are the secret sauce of the keyword. Super fast with reckless and penelope and if they die they still get your markers where you want them to be. 

I think GG1 doesn't help Ulix though, not as many spam marker schemes so that you can manipulate with Delicious Bacon. However, he is still in a better space than Wong. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2020 at 7:43 AM, Mrbedlam said:

Piglets are the secret sauce of the keyword. Super fast with reckless and penelope and if they die they still get your markers where you want them to be. 

Yeah. Piglets are one of the best scheme runners in the game.

On 11/26/2020 at 6:23 PM, Shaggyclown said:

Are they a worthwhile buy?

I think I'd you're running a Summoner matter you're going to want all your options open. I almost never summon banjoistas with Somer for example, but they're nice to have if you need them. 

I think it would be fun to try a gun line with them. With slop haulers and Ulix you can potentially get Adversary at range. Old Major's aura also applies positive twists to range damage. Squelers could take three "focused" shots at range. If you can get Adversary consistently. Shooting into melee might be less of an issue. You could tie them up with distraction piglets or upgrade to war pigs when they get close.