Ten Thunders Brothers

TheUnseemlyOne

So earlier in 3rd I looked at the Thunders Brothers and passed over them.  I wasn’t impressed with what they did for their cost in the keywords I was playing. 

I’m working on Qi and Gong now and decided to revisit them, particularly now that GG1 is out. 

Has anyone else used them with much success?  If so what strats/schemes are they working well in?

TTB are wonderful... especially as I tech in Mr Tannen, so over lapping Boring Conversation and Keeping The Peace with half your stuff having a Distraction aura,  can shut a whole area down

However, the more out of keyword hires, the less pass tokens you're generating.  I limit myself to a single ook model a build; usually Tannen, sometimes Beckoner, occasionally Lust, once in a while Asami.

If you're gonna do it, its fun and a fine choice.  Just rember not to overlap your Diversion aura on a model Youko is Blackmailing or you can't use their bonus action.

TTB are one of the great workhorse models of the TT.  I don't always bring them (certainly a bit less than I used to in 2e), but they are still a solid model that's fun to play with.

However, I feel like Youko has a lot of tech already that the TTB runs parallel to.  As Jesy says, you want pass tokens, and you want to have models that can use those tokens.  The TTB can't, and that's tough.  I feel if I was going to splurge and get out of keyword models for a Youko crew, I would bring more killy models that really can protect the Brunraku/Geisha/Chiyo who will be running schemes for me.

That being said, I think Youko has a pretty solid keyword set with a number of killy models and a number of schemey models that make her very well rounded as is.

As to what they're good for; the main reason I run them is to protect my scheme markers--giving them shielded (if I can) and just having them camp within range of one or two markers ensures I'm protecting my VP.  Then the rest of the crew can tackle the opponent's threats while the TTB just brings in the money.  They can also be a diversion piece to try and bog down a small bubble of opponents models--provided it's not the biggest and the baddest.  But having misdirection and the ability to buff up on protections is very nice.