Fatemaster Friday - Mining Chronicles for Adventures!

Kimberly

Heya Breachers!

Last week I asked about Bayou adventures and this is what @Pikciwok had to say: 

Personally, I LOVE worldbuilding. Creating characters, places, institutions and layers of relations between them. The hardest part for me is inventing a story and inserting the Fated/PCs into it. Too much love for Fatemaster characters/world syndrome. Maybe that's why I find running TTB homebrew campaigns challenging.

Okay, so maybe it’s time for your weekly game but work’s been hell. You take a look at your notes and realize you haven’t prepared for the session at all! Well instead of throwing something together last minute, why not look to the many One Shots that  are found in the Wyrd Chronicles . Wyrd Chronicles ran for years, providing tidbits and information about all things Wyrd. One of the great things about Chronicles is the TTB One Shots that began appearing in Wyrd Chronicles #15 with “Train of Thoughts,” an interesting adventure about a rather unique train heist. You can find that one here. I’m going to go over some of our Chronicles Adventures and the unique opportunities these One Shots can provide for Fatemasters and their players. There is an undead theme tying the three adventures together, so Ressers fans, this one's for you! 

“The Whispering Affair” appears in Chronicles #19, and offers the Fated a kidnapping to solve. The plot is paced perfectly for one game session, with enough action and drama to keep the players talking and exploring the mystery. For Fatemasters, there are some great parts of this One Shot that can be used in future games. The Dismembered is a great minion for adventures with Resurrectionist themes, or to offer to a Resser Fated who is looking to expand their necromancy skills. This One Shot also explores more about what The Whisper does to its victims, allowing Fatemasters to add those same elements to any future Fatemaster Character (or Fated) who starts to hear The Whisper. Finally, maybe you want the Green Sleeves gang to appear in future sessions as minor antagonists 

“Owner of a Lonely Heart” from Wyrd Chronicles #22 is centered around a very unorthodox courtship, between delusional Resser and the object of his affection, Bête Noire. Again the pacing is set for one session of play and the plot involves rivals, murder, street gangs and, of course, blood. Fatemasters may find inspiration from the Grimoire listed in the adventure, or perhaps you want Radu to escape and come back as a recurring villain! The Fated will undoubtedly have their own theories on how someone could come to love something so murderous, but that’s part of the fun.   

Finally, “Worked to Death” from Chronicles #33  takes place in a contract town way up in the Northern Hills. The Fated encounter the brand new ghost town of Colmstock, where the remaining residents are living in fear. You see, the miners rescued from the recent mine collapse can back wrong. It’s up to the Fated to find out what happened and to fix the problem before the remaining residents are killed. Fatemasters can play with the information found for the Exo-Miner and The Foreman as higher level undead encounters or altered to becoming Subordinate Characters for suited Fated. Perhaps the Fated discover an old book or Grimoire that leads to the next adventure of campaign arc!

The One Shots from Wyrd Chronicles are fun, short adventures that you can easily loop together, or pick pieces from as you build your own ‘Fauxverse for a homebrew game. Have you run or played in any of the Chronicles One Shots? If so, which one did you experience? Have you utilized anything from other One Shots in your own campaigns?

• Like 2

I ran Owner of a Lonely Heart last fall. 

Radu turned out to be a very passable stitched; and after the fated killed him, they found a notebook detailing a variety of legends which he'd been investigating in the hopes of finding a way to restore himself to life.  This was of particular interest to one fated who is a stitched himself. 

After the fated stopped Volan from killing Hope, he wound up cutting his own throat just to see 'Bessie' one last time.  The next night, he called up the fated from a phone booth near their townhouse; whining at length about how they'd interfered with his courtship.  He was gone by the time they reached the phone booth, so they still don't know if he somehow resurrected or if he's lingering on as a ghost.  

• Like 3