Unbury and Gravity well

ryo0909

Question

So far, I used Anna for counter unit against Tara and Dreamer to prevent their unbury effect within 6” inch Aura.

However, Mar Errata says “ Add the following sentence: “If a model would be Unburied but cannot be because of an effect such as Laugh Off, Planted Roots, or Staggered, it may still be Unburied as above, ignoring such an effect.”

This means, now Gravity well cannot obstract their pracement. Right?

9 answers to this question

The difference between the Errata abilities and Gravity Well is that a strict reading of those abilities meant that a model could never be Unburied at all. They didn't allow the model to be placed anywhere, so could never unbury at all. The Errata removes that loophole so that the models can still be returned to play. It was intended to fix a broken interaction. 

Gravity Well just stops them from being Placed within 6" of Anna, but the model can still be Unburied in their Deployment Zone per the standard rules. It never broke the game or made models disappear forever. Gravity Well should still work as intended and isn't one of those abilities that makes a model unable to unbury - it just says you can't unbury 'here'. 

No, those are different. Those are protective traits the model has that are preventing the unbury completely, to the model's detriment. Gravity Well is preventing the enemy model from popping up next to Anna, it isn't preventing the unbury entirely.  Gravity Well will still prevent those pesky Alps from popping up next to you. 

Gravity Well:  "Enemy models may not be Placed ..."

Laugh Off:  "If this model would be moved during an enemy model's Activation or from an enemy model's effect, it may choose not to."

Planted Roots:  "This model cannot be moved by enemy effects ..."

The reason for that FAQ was the question of "Do all of these effects which prevent the placement specified by the Unbury really prevent the model being unburied?"

So if your rationale for "You can't unbury there" is "You cannot be placed there", the FAQ is vetoing you and saying that yes, you can be unburied there.

Which means that Gravity Well -does not- prevent unbury effects placing the model in the area of effect.

• Respectfully Disagree 1

Well, I have doubts that  the question was

"Do all of these effects which prevent the placement specified by the Unbury really prevent the model being unburied?"

It seems that the question was about "Will enemy model's effect Unburry me if enemy model's effects cannot move me?"

Yes, they will.

My opinion is "Not in front of Anna".

Definitely needs an Errata for the Errata.

Since its an errata not a a FAQ, its much harder to see the intent.

I'm slightly surprised to see laugh off included, as that's a may effect, where as staggered and Planted roots were must, and broke the game.

Whilst from what I remember Gravity well wasn't causing problems. But I can't see a reason why Gravity well would not be included in those effects, as it is an effect that prevents an unbury, and that's all the rules tell us to look for.

So I don't think the errata was done for Gravity well, but as written it does change the effects of gravity well, because it is also an effect that stops a model unburying.

Laugh Off, Planted Roots, and Staggered are all effects coming from the Model being unburied.

I think Gravity well coming from another model overrules those - Although i don't have a rules quote as to why I think that!

@Adran Is the inclusion of Laugh Off in the errata to give enemies the abiity to overrule the model's controler's ability to stop unburying?

14 minutes ago, touchdown said:

I think if you had total coverage of every available unbury location with gravity well, you'd be allowed to ignore because the unbury effect would be prevented, but if there's any legal place to unbury, you have to take that.

If there is no legal place to unbury, from memory you unbury in the deployment zone.

So there is almost always going to be a legal place (unless you're on corner deployment with perfect gravity well coverage).

• Agree 1