Monk keyword and Versatile models

regleant

For context on where I'm coming from, I have about 20 games in of Malifaux utilizing Monk, Last Blossom, Oni, and Versatile. I also 9 years worth of Warmachine experience and some GW, so not entirely new to mini wargaming, though new to Malifaux. So far, Versatile has been my favorite keyword and I tend to overload my armies with them... But - 

I've seen several people note that Monk is most often supported by Versatile models. From my limited experience, Monk has the most intra-keyword synergy. Shenlong has significant support for Monks, including "Dragon Commands It", which has won me games. Sensei Yu is another great support piece for Monks, and is situationally great.  I typically run 1-2 High River Monks for their amazing damage output, especially when FAST with Sensei Yu. I also run 1-2 Wandering Monks as scheme runners. This leave space for 1-2 Versatile, but that's about it.

I am curious for feedback on why I should be utilizing more, not fewer, Versatile models with Shenlong. Is the perceived synergy a trap? Do the Versatile models really outshine our Monks options? 

Quite honestly, Sensei Yu has been the only model I've thought to drop, as he doesn't seem to bring enough for 9 points.  

Thoughts?

9 hours ago, regleant said:

For context on where I'm coming from, I have about 20 games in of Malifaux utilizing Monk, Last Blossom, Oni, and Versatile. I also 9 years worth of Warmachine experience and some GW, so not entirely new to mini wargaming, though new to Malifaux. So far, Versatile has been my favorite keyword and I tend to overload my armies with them... But - 

I've seen several people note that Monk is most often supported by Versatile models. From my limited experience, Monk has the most intra-keyword synergy. Shenlong has significant support for Monks, including "Dragon Commands It", which has won me games. Sensei Yu is another great support piece for Monks, and is situationally great.  I typically run 1-2 High River Monks for their amazing damage output, especially when FAST with Sensei Yu. I also run 1-2 Wandering Monks as scheme runners. This leave space for 1-2 Versatile, but that's about it.

I am curious for feedback on why I should be utilizing more, not fewer, Versatile models with Shenlong. Is the perceived synergy a trap? Do the Versatile models really outshine our Monks options? 

Quite honestly, Sensei Yu has been the only model I've thought to drop, as he doesn't seem to bring enough for 9 points.  

Thoughts?

Sadly there's really few monk worth taking! The best ones are in my opinion the Low River Monk and the wandering river monk. Charm Warder is a niche pick against demise/summoning crew!

Since the nerf Sensei Yu is not worth it at all! He was used to give lots of chi to Shenlong by attacking him with your students/Low River Monk. But now Brutal Sensei only works on enemy attacks and as you said the rest of his card is pretty lackluster.

High river monk could work, but they cost a lot and are the perfect example of glass canon. If you make one error with them, they'll die and I hope for you they did something.

Fermented have no synergy at all with all the other monks and no efficient way of gaining lots of poison in TT.

Thunder archers are okay. They can do a decent job, but as other monks are frail and low range so they have to be near the danger which is not ideal. The option for Irreducible with the ram trigger is nice.

Monks in general are very frail, cost lots of ss and need chi to protect themselves! Every errors will hurt you and they rely a lot on their chi to attack or protect themselves. While TT versatile are really strong without having to balance between offense and defense. Samurai are tanky, hit like a truck and are only 1ss more than HRM! Also with wandering river style, you can use the Student to help him move before blasting the enemy with his gatling!

• Agree 1