Starting The Game In Melee... What Is It Good For?

Jesy Blue

So, your opponent places a model as far forward into the deployment zone as humanly possible. 

With your amazing forethought, you have hired a Freikorps Scout and place it exactly 6" away from this enemy forward placed model, right out in the open!

Then during the start phase, as the Scout purchased the Servant of Dark Powers upgrade, you use the Herald ability and move exactly 6" forward, putting yourself in base contact with that forward placed enemy model as Turn 1 begins!

As far as I can tell, we are the only crew who can do this.  My question though, is there any reason how this would be useful?  Is there a forward engagement bog down a model on the first turn pre-alpha strike tactic that this could be in anyway helpful?

4 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

So, your opponent places a model as far forward into the deployment zone as humanly possible. 

With your amazing forethought, you have hired a Freikorps Scout and place it exactly 6" away from this enemy forward placed model, right out in the open!

Then during the start phase, as the Scout purchased the Servant of Dark Powers upgrade, you use the Herald ability and move exactly 6" forward, putting yourself in base contact with that forward placed enemy model as Turn 1 begins!

As far as I can tell, we are the only crew who can do this.  My question though, is there any reason how this would be useful?  Is there a forward engagement bog down a model on the first turn pre-alpha strike tactic that this could be in anyway helpful?

sounds like a good way to throw stones down the drain

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

Frontier vs Frontier games can get overlapping deployment if you really want. 

And once it becomes a thing, your opponent can deploy just behind the deployment line to stop it. or opposite some terrain

In all honestly, I can't think of a reason you would want to do this. There are some things you can do, but you probably shouldn't.

• Like 1

Given the armor 1 and terrifying, it could be worth it to tie up an enemy really badly.

For example, standard deployment where you know your opponent runs a lone mature neph up the side of the board. Starting the game engaging the mature neph would shut that model down for a decent period?

It'd have to be worth 8 stones to tie up a model for a turn and a half. But it'll take the mature neph three hits to kill it!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Given the armor 1 and terrifying, it could be worth it to tie up an enemy really badly.

For example, standard deployment where you know your opponent runs a lone mature neph up the side of the board. Starting the game engaging the mature neph would shut that model down for a decent period?

It'd have to be worth 8 stones to tie up a model for a turn and a half. But it'll take the mature neph three hits to kill it!

wouldnt said meture neph just fly with me away?

6 hours ago, Adran said:

Frontier vs Frontier games can get overlapping deployment if you really want.

I had to stop and make sure Home on the Range said "friendly" in it, otherwise mirror matches just start with everyone past each other on the opposing table halves.

Thanks for the insight, all.