Corrupted Ley lines and From the shadow

ryo0909

Question

Hi, I would like to ask your thought whether the model with From the shadow have a lodestone token or not.

I mean, the timing of lodestone token movement effect is "Before a model with Lodestone Token would be removed from the table" so I think movement effect will not occur since the model with From the Shadow is not on the table at the timing having lodestone token.

I understand that From the shadow doesn't allow the Interact Action in first turn so not sure how effective the model with From the shadow have it.

6 answers to this question

56 minutes ago, ryo0909 said:

Almost agree your comment but may I confirm the definition of "in play"?

According to the sentence about bury,  buried model is still considered as in play so I guess the model is not on the table is in play.

Yes, models with From the shadow are not deployed when loadstone is attached but still hired. I am almost sure that the model with From the shadow cannot get the token but not crystal clear yet. 

I can't find a definition of "in play" in the rulebook. But we can get something from that sentence about buried models:

Buried models are removed from the table though they are still considered to be in play

1. Models on the table are in play (this one is obvious)

2. Models not on the table are not in play (otherwise we wouldn't need that special exception for buried models).

3. Buried models are not on the table, but they are considered to be in play (because the rulebook says so).

• Agree 1

Loadstone tokens are attached after deployment - between steps I and J of Encounter Setup.

Models with From the Shadows are deployed at the start of the game - during step J after decks are shuffled.

So models deployed from the shadows are not in play, when loadstones are attached and can't get one from the beginning of the game. But they can receive one during turn 1 and can be used to make a marker friendly as long as it's not an interact.

• Agree 1

Almost agree your comment but may I confirm the definition of "in play"?

According to the sentence about bury,  buried model is still considered as in play so I guess the model is not on the table is in play.

Yes, models with From the shadow are not deployed when loadstone is attached but still hired. I am almost sure that the model with From the shadow cannot get the token but not crystal clear yet. 

I think trying to read "in play" as a synonym of "deployed" is a mistake.

Effectively, the phrase "in play" is just used to indicate that there are no range, line of sight, or other restrictions on whatever is being specified.  

It is, in other words, filler text present so that people don't ask 'Should there be something here?', as is more likely than you'd suppose if an effect just said something like 'choose a friendly model'.  👻

Hmm. I can perceive you meant but not make sense logically. (Probably it is because I’m non native English speaker.)

One more question, if Bushwhacker selects to be deployed with From the shadow, is it possible to place the pit trap marker after deployment?

My points, Normally pit trap should be placed after deployment but Bushwhacker is not on the table at this timing.

If can, Bushwhacker works his ability without in play.

Pit Traps just tells you when you when to place the markers; you have purchased the model, therefore it's abilities still take effect.

Whether the Bushwacker deploys From the Shadows or not, the Pit Traps are placed after deployment.