Fatemaster Friday - In the Bayou

Kimberly

Heya Breachers!

Last week I asked your opinions of linear and non-linear adventures. Here’s what @Pikciwok had to say:

Personally, I don't like sandboxes. Preparing one is very time-consuming, and frequently, both plot and pace suffer because of open world structure. That being said, I love when players show initiative and suprise me with their ideas. I think my favored adventures are closed scenarios with some room for player's ingenuity.

The Bayou is a strange and terrifying place with the gremlin inhabitants trying their best to survive. Those little green folk face gators, skeeters, family rivalries, and far more explosions than you’d expect. From hands being eaten to puppet battles, the Bayou is a great setting for a TTB game.  Let's take a look at the Penny Dreadful The Bayou Games, an adventure that takes the Fated through the Bayou where they encounter a color cast of characters.

One of the wonderful aspects of this adventure is it can be run for Gremlin or non-Gremlin Fated. There is a specific Complication in Chapter Four that addresses using non-Gremlin Fated, and replaces the start of the adventure to accommodate different play groups. This is helpful for taking the onus off of the Fatemaster to devise a reason, though you’re certainly able and welcome to make one up for your group!

The Fated are tasked with retrieving a stolen invention for Audrey Moores, and the job takes them through a long trip in the Bayou. The Bayou is filled with dangers, and as they track the invention from Gremlin to Gremlin, the Fated learn that they must compete in the Grand Prix of the “Bayou Bash” in order to get the strange metal box back to Audrey. The individual competitions that make up the Grand Prix are a great look into Bayou culture, add some unique challenges for the Fated, and can allow you to enable a memorable session all around. 

The action doesn’t end once the winner’s declared, and the Fated still have 2 Acts left. The following acts are well structured and cover a variety of playstyles, along with Complications and Tarot Tie-ins to personalize the experience to your group. The Bayou Games also features the appearance of several notable Gremlins of importance, such as Som’er Teeth Jones and Sparks LeBlanc, among the cast of Fatemaster Characters. Each Act flows well into the other, and overall weave a fun, uniquely bayou experience. 

If your group is looking for a Penny Dreadful that isn’t too serious, then The Bayou Games is available on DTRPG for $15 USD. I highly advise picking it up if your group wants to have a fun series of sessions that give a delightful insight into the Bayou faction.

This week, I’d like to know: what’s your Fatemaster experience with the denizens of the Bayou? Any memorable Fated or Fatemaster Character come to mind?

• Like 3

I don't allow Gremlin characters in my campaign; but one of my Fated was born in the bayous of the south-east US, came through the Breach with her family when she was still young, and was subsequently raised in the Bayou of Malifaux.  Her family was on good terms with the Tuckets, and as a teenager she ran pork and moonshine into the city during the period of martial law.  

Now a few steps down both Boozer and Chemist (and armed with a rusty old double-barrel shotgun), she's highly entertaining both in and out of combat; full of down-home folksy wisdom but also a lot smarter than people (who often dismiss her as a brainless yokel) tend to assume.  She also built a still in the basement of the group's townhouse, among other things utilizing parts from Neverborn construct which they dismantled in an early sessions (I still haven't figured out how that's going to take an entertainingly bad turn for everyone).  

• Like 1