Fatemaster Friday - Online Exploits: Making the session happen

Kimberly

Fantastic Friday Breachers!

For my birthday this week my best friend offered to run any game I’d like for a special birthday one shot! So of course, I set my TTB books down in front of him and told him to get to reading. Of course, I want to include some friends who don’t live with me, so I’m helping him plan an online game session. This week, I’m going to be talking about what goes into running a session online!

If you’re considering running an online game, there are several things to prepare for and decisions to be made. What platform are you using? Play by post or live? Do your players need help with character creation? What additional media are you using to supplement the sessions such as images, Fatemaster Characters, and maps? 

A lot of preparation is needed in order to run any game, and if you’re unfamiliar with running virtually that makes it seem like even more preparation is needed. I’m here to let you know that while it takes a little more preparation getting a game stood up, it’s not that much extra work. With new players, it’s crucial to help them navigate the process without micromanaging them.

Let your players influence the kind of game you will run. It will make planning your backend details easier, and helps them feel more comfortable with the transition to a digital space. Providing multiple character sheet options, allowing everyone to vote for the One Shot or Penny Dreadful you’re going to run, and helping them with any questions or concerns they have will make for a cohesive and happy group of players! Be on hand to answer any questions, like what pursuits would be handy or thoughts on certain magia and their utility for the session. But then it comes to planning, let the group’s decisions about play influence your upcoming session! 

You’ll need to determine your platform. Is your group full of conflicting schedules? Doing play-by-post in Tavern Keeper or a Discord text channel may be your best bet. Wanting to hear the terrified screams of your players as you throw unimaginable Neverborn horrors at them? Discord Voice with a Virtual TT such as Vassal to supplement would work well. Is your group extra and want to dress up for the session? Zoom works wonders for that.

Once you have your platform selected, design a session that shines in that platform. Play-by-post works for mechanics light games, where polls or post deadlines can help shape story elements. Virtual TT and a voice chat program can handle games with a lot of Dramatic Time and Ongoing Challenges, while a group video chat allows for sessions where a mix of the two shines. Design your campaign to highlight the strength of your platform, and your players will have a great time! 

Does your session need maps, character images, or other illustrations? Maybe you make an online repository for those items that your players have easy access to. Pinterest or a Google Drive folder can be helpful for keep track of character images, locations, and other elements you want to enhance the game.

Now you can help players make their Fated if they need it. These posts cover how to make a character in various ways. Beyond that, you can also accomplish this through any other means you have at your disposal! Whatever works for you and your players is key here so that character creation is as easy as possible. This also is the optimal time for you to do some crucial homework and read through the One Shot or Penny Dreadful, or your notes if you’re going homebrew. Not only will you be able to inform your players of some helpful skills or equipment their Fated will need, your knowledge will help make the actual session flow smoothly. Especially for when the Fated make first contact with the adventure…

Which brings me to another important step. Look at areas where you may need to improvise. My personal philosophy for roleplaying is that no plot survives first contact with players. This mantra has held up well, and I suggest you take it and repeat it a few times to yourself in those moments where your players come out of left field with something unexpected. Being able to adapt and improvise will give your players a feeling of accomplishment as they take the world set by Wyrd and truly make it their own.

Finally, start your session! Get lost for a while in a great game with your friends! Throw you best laid plans out for your intrepid group of Fated to walk all over. Have you run any online sessions? What tips and tactics did you use to ensure that it was a blast for all involved?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1