A funky Reva list, looking for feedback!

I've not had a chance to playtest this yet because I've been sick for a few months, but would be keen for some opinions!

Hanged Reva

• Reva + candles + 6 stones
  • Restless spirit (4)
  • Shieldbear (6)
  • Shieldbear (6)
  • Hanged (8+1)
  • Hanged (8+1)
  • Toshiro (9+1)

Why Reva as leader?

This crew could take Jack Daw over Reva, and have exactly the same crew for the same stones. So why Reva?

Well, initially I was lamenting the fact that Hanged seem a billion times stronger than Lampads, and was wondering about a list with Hanged with Reva.  Initially it was pretty silly, but I discovered something interesting: the access to corpses sets up a number of cool things.

• Toshiro + Hanged is an obvious combo, with them being some of the strongest minions in the faction. But you don't really want Toshiro without corpse generation.
  • Hanged + shieldbearers is a neat combo, allowing for free movement without damage. Friendly models ignore terrifying but not incorporeal.
  • Toshiro gives the shieldbearers a plus to their flips at the start of the game (when he is in range), making it far more likely they'll hit masks and give major movement boosts out.
  • Shieldbearers pulse focus for the hanged, boosting them even further to be the wonderful murder-minions that they are.
  • Reva will struggle with burning a little bit, so will likely have to light herself on fire (although the shieldbearers may be able to help with it too).

Overall, could be a cool crew when you need to just absolutely smash the centre (public enemies with claim jump perhaps?). Would be far more mobile and responsive than a Jack Daw crew, while still having some of the power. The parts of Jack Daw's power it lacks would be made up for by the grindy brutalness of Toshiro, and Reva of course is a fantastic beater herself.

I remember posts about Hanged, stating they would be still worth it costing 9pts in JD. Not so sure about OOK, as Reva can't benefit from their card draw. If she could, I'd say go for it. So.... while they're for sure good models, I still have to ask: why not a Dead Rider? Cut the 2nd Shieldbearer (less pts in support) and a Hanged for it. Also frees a few SS, sadly Reva doesn't have low cost runners 😕. That's where I would start testing, at least against an unknown opponent. If I know the enemy master summons with a lot of upgrades or hands them out otherwise, I might reconsider.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Graf said:

Not so sure about OOK, as Reva can't benefit from their card draw.

If I know the enemy master summons with a lot of upgrades or hands them out otherwise, I might reconsider.

The Hanged can throw out their own upgrade, so they're pretty self contained for upgrade synergy for Weigh Down & Torment.

List looks interesting, although feels a little bubbly for best effects and not much manueverbiity. I'd maybe swap a Shieldbearer for the Wanyudo to give you a mobile, independent model. Actually, the more I look at it, the more I really like it! Which is really sad for Revenant (although I really think Draugr, Vincent & Draugr need a boost).

I considered the Dead Rider swap, but didn't for two reasons:

1. Maintaining the minion theme, to test out Toshiro's limits.

2. Hanged support each other (upgrades + staggered).

That said, could cut toshiro for dead rider and have a pretty mobile crew. Wanyudo is another consideration.

Agree the crew is bubbly, so would want to use it on claim jump for example (perhaps with like SOA).

I am still learning so I'm certainly not qualified yet to comment on the synergies...but it does seem like this crew is best to just sit in the middle of the board. I imagine this could be a decent crew for strats and schemes that are benefitted by that. 

I really like the idea of Toshiro surrounded by minions (with decent damage tracks!). No one is going to want to jump into that fray

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Da Git said:

The Hanged can throw out their own upgrade, so they're pretty self contained for upgrade synergy for Weigh Down & Torment.

Well, I've forgotten that. Thanks for the correction.

Tormented are quite the bubbly crew themselves, not sure if switching JD for Reva is really worth it. Her attack radius is certainly bigger, but she also has to stay further back. I guess testing instead of theorycrafting is in order now?

• Like 2

I don't think is a bad list. Probably will have bad matchups tho, but if you need to get to places, Hanged with the push of the shieldbearer and the On your heels trigger is a lot of movement turn 1.

You can easily stack some burning in the Shieldbearers, so that shouldn't be a problem. Maybe it will be worth to kill both the Corpse Candles in turn 1 in order to get the 3 corpses you'll need to summon an Ashigaru and use the 2 Blasphemous Ritual.

• Like 1

My initial thoughts are that for the hanged to be good they want to capitalise from their movement tricks (on your heels mostly) that will likely take them out of the aura Toshiro gives out. Also Ashigaru are quite similar to shield bearers so IMO you will end up doubling down on very similar models or not get much out of Toshiro in way of summoning.

It could have play in certain encounters and likely catch a few off guard but I do think some crews could hard counter it and make for a really bad time.

• Like 1