Game Length - 3rd Floor Episode

Trample

I have played 30 tourney games since 3e came out, with different factions and crews in games ranging from 2 hours to 2.5 hours and in all that I have only failed to complete 1 game (very slow opponent).

Really should be finishing games as malifaux is balanced around 5 turns. 

And if going to tourneys you definitely need to speed up your play if you cant manage 5 turns yet.

On 5/15/2020 at 1:49 AM, LeperColony said:

The "Malifaux is a three turn game" sentiment expressed on the episode is really just "Malifaux is a competitive game."  Except it's demonstrably not.  It can be played competitively, but the vast majority of Malifaux players probably don't participate in regular organized tournaments, and most players who do competitive events attend modest regional gatherings.

There's no reason why top tier Malifaux events can't use their own specialized rules, whether put out by Wyrd or done on an unofficial basis.  But the idea that the game should be redesigned to accommodate the small percentage of elite players who are concerned with getting rounds done in two hours is, in my opinion, deeply flawed.

This is completely true - the TOs do have the option to run things the way they like and it is a great casual game. My point though was that even in a competitive environment I don't think Malifaux is a three turn game. I think you can finish games in tournaments.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

On 5/16/2020 at 2:23 PM, Trample said:

This is completely true - the TOs do have the option to run things the way they like and it is a great casual game. My point though was that even in a competitive environment I don't think Malifaux is a three turn game. I think you can finish games in tournaments.  

It's not a 3 turn game. Plenty of metas are capable of finishing the game within the time frame. That was such an overly dramatic episode.

The game is slower for sure and they made a good point that it is tougher for newer players but to claim the game needs a rewrite is ridiculous.

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, S4lt said:

It's not a 3 turn game. Plenty of metas are capable of finishing the game within the time frame. That was such an overly dramatic episode.

The game is slower for sure and they made a good point that it is tougher for newer players but to claim the game needs a rewrite is ridiculous.

While I understand the point made about new players I feel the comment is semi-redundant. I generally find there are two types of new players - experienced gamers who are drawn to Malifaux for its reputation as a solid, competitive game and the more casual player drawn to the game for its unique mechanics and alternative visual style.

Looking at the second type of new player first, in their initial events they will likely be lower third to mid-table at an event, if they are that bit slower than their opponent an experienced player will likely spot this early and usually 1) help them along to speed up play and 2) use the experience to achieve a sound victory. Now the first type of new player will likely be much quicker because they have gotten their reps in, know their unpack and potentially played in a timed environment. They will be a more prepared tournament goer.

I draw on a previous event I ran that hit 40 players and specifically we had attendance from a newly emerging local group. The players abilities varied from highly competitive guildball players to very casual fun gamers and it followed the above scenario. It is just one example but from my events experience this is the way it goes (for others and for myself). For context in 2019 I ran 4 events and attended 11 or 12 including the English, Scottish and Welsh GT's (6 round, 2 day events) and also the UK Nationals (7 round, 2 day event) and the UK Masters (though not really an event to use for the above).

My main concern is that the discussion had an acceptance of a 3 turn game and a strong opinion that full games aren't possible yet it seems to be that the majority of competitive games finish in the allotted time. What is the key difference to playstyles of these individuals to those comfortably completing games?

I did agree on the point that models are more meaningful in this edition, the introduction of pass tokens has IMO has caused this (working as intended). Some interesting points but a lot I cannot agree with based on my own experience.

• Like 1