Fatemaster Friday - Clever Girl

Kimberly

Heya Breachers!

I was going to do a post on another virtual table top platform, but I want to play around with them a little more to give you the best information possible. So this week I’m instead going to talk about an One Shot I want to run for my household while we’re all stuck in the house together. Most of them are TTB newbies, despite my ramblings, so I picked a truly wild One Shot to run that is sure to get them hooked. This week we’re going to take a look at Jurassic Faux and what I intend to do to make the most of it for a group of new players!

Jurassic Faux the fated join the expedition of Malcom Flanagan, professor at the University of Malifaux. The area of the Badlands where Nythera opened has grown lush with life. This new Wildlands has to be home to creatures the likes no one has seen before. Even better, Flanagan believes a honest to goodness dinosaur, named Malisaurus Rex, is stalking the new forest, and he is determined to bring proof back!

This isn’t as clear cut as it seems, as in true Malifaux fashion Bad Things Happen; the rail is sabotaged, and upon arriving at the mining town of Morgan’s Hope, find that the Wildlands have grown to overtake the hapless town. Stranded and low on supplies, the Fated must balance looking for unique specimens with foraging for supplies in the alien forest that has sprung up. They encounter all manner of dangerous and interesting flora and fauna, and the encounter climaxes with a harrowing battle with the Malisaurus Rex herself! This adventure isn’t for faint-hearted Fated!

Now, Jurassic Faux is an One Shot that honestly is meant for more experienced Fated, but if you want to adapt it for a new group of Fated, here’s what I’d do. The simplest course of action is to lower some of those Fatemaster Character Ranks. Additionally, adding a few physically inclined subordinate characters can help if your party is light on the “shooty shooty” or “stabby stabby”. Also, talk to your players! Let them know that this is a physically and mentally rigorous adventure, and ask them to make Fated accordingly. For my group, I’m going to give them all an unique motivation to want to do this job, whether by being aspiring members of the Explorer’s Society, wanting to work for the Guild, trying to meet a contact in Morgan’s Hope, or even because they want to study at the University itself, giving them each a motivation will help them engage the adventure with an invested interest. 

I’m personally very excited to run a group through Jurassic Faux and I hope this post helped you get some ideas on adapting an adventure to fit a party of newer Fated. As always, Jurassic Faux is available on DriveThruRPG here for only $5 USD.

Before I get back to online exploits, I want to know, what adventure did you use to get your players hooked on TTB? If it was a homebrew, what elements did you highlight to captivate your players’ imaginations?

• Like 3

I tried slightly modified recruitment drive. The fated boarded a train in Breachtown to travel through the Breach for the first time. They had no tickets and didn't want to loose all the money in scrip exchange, so they stole tickets. On board, they had a friendly conversation with another passenger about strange new world of Malifaux. I emphesized how stunning the sensation of Breach-crossing is, described views through the window (they are pretty significant: the General Governor's fortress-manor, the great Hanging Tree, and sprawling metropolis of Malifaux City) ... and then Transmortis minions brutally derailed the train on train station. Because it was dark and an attack surprised everyone, I tried to describe some twisted features of the attackers instead of explaining they were robo-zombies. They struggled to get out of damaged train and fought to survive an attack. After the skirmish, I made it clear that the authorities are NOT interested in chasing the attackers in the sewers. The fated saw the monstrocities abducted people from the train station, AND they could not find their point of contact, who was supposed to meet them on the station...

As soon as I find satisfying way to play TTB online, I'll make a re-run. 

• Like 2

My first group I ran through the Bad Things Happen adventure in the back of the core book.  It was pretty straightforward and by the book, but it was also my first time running the game.

For another group of new players, I ran A Malifaux Christmas Carol right at the beginning of this year.  I'm a little sad that they solved everything without running into Seamus because I was looking forward to that encounter, but I like that that adventure has so many ways to get to the end.

• Like 3