Good ol Sammy: Kin

GremlinDaycare

Oh Hivemind, I find Sammy cute but I cannot make 3e Sammy work in Kin. Raiders seem to draw better and scheme faster. Raphael seems to moves enemies around more. Taxidermist for ONE more SS seems to deal more damage and summons better.

Help me make the jump for Sammy, if there is a jump to make.

Sammy is the best Kin model, maybe after Ophelia.

She's not a summoner, so there is no point in compare her with the taxidermist (which btw, are okeish in general and awful if you compare them with Sammy).

She has Mv 6, so she can remove an enemy scheme marker at 20" to deny your opponent scoring a point. That's without taking into account that she's fast, so it would be 26". In addition, you don't only remove the scheme marker, you turn it into one of your scheme runner (Flying Piglet) or an annoying model (Stuffed Piglet).

She also gives you and insane card draw. Attack her with 2 of the Young Lacroix to gain 2 glowys and fast. That's 2 cards you draw. Attack with the 3rd Young Lacroix to the Bokor (you should always bring a Bokor with Ophelia, since they draw cards and heal, two things that Kin lacks), the use the Bokor to heal Sammy hitting the :crow trigger to draw 2 extra cards.

Do you like Riders? Use Risky Maneuver to gain focus , push 3" and oh, surprise! Draw another card with Sammy. We're already in 6 extra cards (5 if you count that you need to discard 1 for the Deja Vu trigger in the Bokor).

Sammy hitting is really good. Being able to put Injured +3 in a miniature without even needing a suit and from 10" distance ignoring friendly fire and cover it's really good. Her triggers are awesome too. With Jynx you can bury that big beater threatening your models and make him completely useless for the rest of the game by popping far away. What about making your opponent discard 3 cards at the cost of 3 glowys while you cycle some of your low cards?

Even Vodoo Pin is really good, since it also has the built-in Injured and both triggers (easy to achieve with Glowy) can easily deny a lot of schemes or help you score yours.

So Sammy is really good, probably the best henchman in Bayou regarding her cost and how much does she brings to the table.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ShinChan said:

She's not a summoner, so there is no point in compare her with the taxidermist (which btw, are okeish in general and awful if you compare them with Sammy).

She has Mv 6, so she can remove an enemy scheme marker at 20" to deny your opponent scoring a point. That's without taking into account that she's fast, so it would be 26". In addition, you don't only remove the scheme marker, you turn it into one of your scheme runner (Flying Piglet) or an annoying model (Stuffed Piglet).

She also gives you and insane card draw. Attack her with 2 of the Young Lacroix to gain 2 glowys and fast. That's 2 cards you draw. Attack with the 3rd Young Lacroix to the Bokor (you should always bring a Bokor with Ophelia, since they draw cards and heal, two things that Kin lacks), the use the Bokor to heal Sammy hitting the :crow trigger to draw 2 extra cards.

Do you like Riders? Use Risky Maneuver to gain focus , push 3" and oh, surprise! Draw another card with Sammy. We're already in 6 extra cards (5 if you count that you need to discard 1 for the Deja Vu trigger in the Bokor).

Sammy hitting is really good. Being able to put Injured +3 in a miniature without even needing a suit and from 10" distance ignoring friendly fire and cover it's really good. Her triggers are awesome too. With Jynx you can bury that big beater threatening your models and make him completely useless for the rest of the game by popping far away. What about making your opponent discard 3 cards at the cost of 3 glowys while you cycle some of your low cards?

Even Vodoo Pin is really good, since it also has the built-in Injured and both triggers (easy to achieve with Glowy) can easily deny a lot of schemes or help you score yours.

So Sammy is really good, probably the best henchman in Bayou regarding her cost and how much does she brings to the table.

I think this quarantine has me thinking backward. Tactically my logic has me playing Sammy in a different role. Getting used to 3e gremlins as new faction with my school club I run. I am a former outcast. 

Thank you for your time in typing this out my friend.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/7/2020 at 6:00 PM, ShinChan said:

They also seem to work well in conjunction - Ophelia can discard an upgrade to deal 1 damage to Sammy, giving the Bayou player a card + Glowy & Fast on Sammy. Neat'o!

By the way - Quick rules question.

Ophelias trigger "Walking Arsenal" says that she can take an action on an upgrade, but must then discard a card or that upgrade.

The upgrade says that you can discard it after use to deal 1 damage within an aura of 6. Does this mean that you can simply discard the upgrade (as per the text on the upgrade) and then ignore the "Either discard a card or that upgrade" clause on her trigger? Or does this mean that you HAVE to discard a card?

Hopefully my question makes sense..

1 hour ago, GrumpyGrandpa said:

Ophelias trigger "Walking Arsenal" says that she can take an action on an upgrade, but must then discard a card or that upgrade.

The upgrade says that you can discard it after use to deal 1 damage within an aura of 6. Does this mean that you can simply discard the upgrade (as per the text on the upgrade) and then ignore the "Either discard a card or that upgrade" clause on her trigger? Or does this mean that you HAVE to discard a card?

It's in "This or that" section of Rulebook - if you can't discard upgrade, you must discard a card. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, GrumpyGrandpa said:

They also seem to work well in conjunction - Ophelia can discard an upgrade to deal 1 damage to Sammy, giving the Bayou player a card + Glowy & Fast on Sammy. Neat'o!

By the way - Quick rules question.

Hopefully my question makes sense..

You can't discard the upgrade to cover both those things, so yes, if you choose to discard the upgrade to deal 1 damage, then you would have to discard a card to pay the "cost" of walking arsenal because you can no longer discard the upgrade.