Budget Players: Neverborn

GremlinDaycare

I work with a lot of families at the school I work at. A lot of them do leagues and collecting and a few have started to ask about whats good competition wise and what is not worth buying competition wise.

Some of these parents only want to buy bare bones to do these leagues and competitions with their kids. SO HERE IS MY QUESTION, if I am advising a budget player that is only buying needs in a keyword, what is not worth the money? 

Regel, this is awesome man. We have a club based around the art side controlling different forms of anxiety and neurosis. We do some scenarios and we commonly do the special set ups from the books.

In the older ranks some of the parents want to take their kids to competition and enjoy that they are enjoying the game. Full keywords are okay. They just want to know if anything within keywords doesn't need to be invested in.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Regelridderen said:

Explain to those parents, that their kids will have their arses handed to them, unless they get proper parental support. 

Next explain to them, that miniature gaming is a fairly useless skill, as they grow up, but the artistic skills and understanding, they can develop is invaluable. 

Critical thinking and risk analysis aren't valuable skills?  Sportsmanship, respect?  Way off base on that guy.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, GremlinDaycare said:

I work with a lot of families at the school I work at. A lot of them do leagues and collecting and a few have started to ask about whats good competition wise and what is not worth buying competition wise.

Some of these parents only want to buy bare bones to do these leagues and competitions with their kids. SO HERE IS MY QUESTION, if I am advising a budget player that is only buying needs in a keyword, what is not worth the money? 

Waldegeists are not needed, changlings are not needed, as above bloodwretch and bultungin are useless (bultungin are edge case useful but waaaaay down the list of possible models).  Terror tots are not great even if going Nekima and unless your competitive can be proc'd (they're only worth the summoning part, don't actually hire them).  Wrath is bad so unless someone wants the crossroads box for the other stuff he's not needed.  Tuco's not needed at all.  Wisps are not worth the money nor is grootslang or juju.  Avoid Lucius cause he needs a hodgepodge of models as does zoraida.

Neverborn doesn't really have a 'must buy' budget box I can think of (like eternal servitude for Ressers), but...

Dreamer can easily get away with keyword only AND can handle basically any scenario (at least in GG0).

Pandora/Dreamer can be a good combo, as there is a lot of model overlap for strong lists.

Could get Hooded Rider and then get a few crews that work well with it (Pandora, Zoraida, etc?)

Same goes for emissary (Titania and..?)

In general, look for crews with model overlap so you can have a diverse range with minimum spending.

8 hours ago, (Keenan) said:

Critical thinking and risk analysis aren't valuable skills?  Sportsmanship, respect?  Way off base on that guy.

I don’t see many mini-gamers applying their mini-skills in real life. 

And although the skills you mention are good, mini-gaming is hardly the only (or even the best) place to acquire them. They’re rather universal, wouldn’t you say?

But it is great fun though :)

20 hours ago, Nagi21 said:

Wisps are not worth the money nor is grootslang or juju.

Hard disagree on Wisps and Juju. The former are the primary way you get conditions on the Voodoo Doll target, and the latter is a great beater, especially when Obeying him for extra attacks.

Haven't gotten Grootslang on the table yet though so I can't say for that one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, dzlier said:

Hard disagree on Wisps and Juju. The former are the primary way you get conditions on the Voodoo Doll target, and the latter is a great beater, especially when Obeying him for extra attacks.

Haven't gotten Grootslang on the table yet though so I can't say for that one.

Juju is a lacking beater compared to the other options in both factions.

9 hours ago, Nagi21 said:

Juju is a lacking beater compared to the other options in both factions.

3/4/6 damage, Range 2", Stat 6, with triggers to gain Focused or pulse out (up to 4" away) high Mv duels for Slow, and a bonus action to move 3" is lacking?

Part of his appeal is also how difficult he is to put down, healing 2 or 3 when he Activates, HtW, unmoveable, Demise (Eternal) and potentially giving Stunned when opponents Activate. I've yet to be disappointed with him.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 1:50 PM, dzlier said:

3/4/6 damage, Range 2", Stat 6, with triggers to gain Focused or pulse out (up to 4" away) high Mv duels for Slow, and a bonus action to move 3" is lacking?

Part of his appeal is also how difficult he is to put down, healing 2 or 3 when he Activates, HtW, unmoveable, Demise (Eternal) and potentially giving Stunned when opponents Activate. I've yet to be disappointed with him.

I have yet to be disappointed in him either... although that's because I'm usually the one that wants him dead and he's fairly easy to do that with.  You forget the flipside of all those nice stats he has.  Df3 and Sz 4.  Any kind of range, min 3 damage, or ping damage, and he dies easily.  Also lets not forget he's not really fast.  Yes he has ambush, but unless he's concealed already, your pitching a card, which you also need for his eternal, so that's a 4 card hand you're working with before Zoraida bonus action.

Bad Juju usually goes at the end of the turn, so is as safe as possible (often supplemented with an obey + ensorcel). Typically if you take him, you're taking him as the model Zoraida supports, so the rest of your crew is built to not need the obeys as much.

Certainly when I've played against him, he has been pretty devastating. Although that's as Ressers, which have limited range (although even Seamus found him annoying and hard to deal with, between natural healing and bokor healing).

Which brings up a key point for OP - it is more impotant to have a good crew rather than a pile of good models. So make sure you're considering an entire package. Bad Juju is a prime example of a model that only works in very particular crews.