How should I build up my Outcast collection?

Nohwear

Since I am able to spend most of my stimulus money on fun, I am looking to build up my collection.  I want to focus on Outcasts.  I am starting with Willard, I mean Hamelin.  What versatile and out of keyword kits would you recommend?  Hamelin's Core, Brotherhood of the Rat, and the upgrade pack are coming.  Thank you and have a good day.

For Hamelin you need Benny. 

Then, I use a lot the Winged Plague, but I'm a weird player, I suppose. 

What is very useful for nearly every Outcast player are the Prospectors. They give you ss and cards, which are invaluable resources. 

In fact, I would say that every Versatile model can be very useful. At least to personalize your crew for the game. 

Midnight Stalker is one of the best scheme runners in the crew. Arguably the best in faction, so being versatile means that every Outcast crew has possibilities in every schemy game, although I would not pick Hamelin in a game that requires to spread a lot. 

Emissary and Effigy (you'll find them together in a box) are good additions. Be as a cheap healer or a expensive support model. 

Then Johan is very useful against crews that rely a lot on conditions. Not a model to play always, but indeed a model to hire always versus some specific crews. 

The Malifaux Child can be useful if paired with some models or crews. Situational, but can be very helpful for a low cost. 

Hans is, in my opinion, the less useful versatile model. I would avoid him, but there's people who likes it, so... 

Then, in my opinion

Must:

- Benny Wolcomb

- Midnight Stalker

- Prospectors

- Hodgepodge Effigy & Emissary. 

Advisable:

- Johann

- Winged Plague

- Malifaux Child

• Thanks 1

With the Plague keyword, I don't go outside the keyword.  You'll have to get Benny to fill out the one useful missing model outside those boxes... I think he's boxed by himself.

Don't bother with Winged Plague, they're useless.

If it is your first crew and you are thinking of expanding into other keywords and/or factions, then yes, Midnight Stalker, The Hodgpodge's, & Prospectors are a good kick off point if you aren't sure what your next keyword you're gonna go into.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

Don't bother with Winged Plague, they're useless.

Until now, I've played with 2 of them in every game and still don't regret it. 

They are used to fuel the Benny Engine. 6 Scheme markers the first turn and then 2 more each one each turn as long as they are alive or not needed doing another kind of stuff. 

43 minutes ago, Zebo said:

Until now, I've played with 2 of them in every game and still don't regret it. 

They are used to fuel the Benny Engine. 6 Scheme markers the first turn and then 2 more each one each turn as long as they are alive or not needed doing another kind of stuff. 

... okay, I give up:  how?

First turn two Stolen makes Focus and use it to five fast to the WP (you need 10, usually don't need to cheat more than once). 

Each WP schemes-walks-schemes. 

After Benny turns the schemes into rats, Hamelin uses Unclean Influence and the WP drops two more scheme for the next turn. 

Then, the next turns WP keep dropping schemes, one in their activation and another in Hamelin's activation. 

If you need them to run and score, you can repeat the Stolen action to make them fast, Hamelin makes them push and walk (8") And in their activation they can walk twice (10") And scheme if needed. Or they can remove enemy scheme markers to deny enemy points, or any suicidal engagement that you need to keep other models safe/whatever.

4 hours ago, Nohwear said:

Since I am able to spend most of my stimulus money on fun, I am looking to build up my collection.  I want to focus on Outcasts.  I am starting with Willard, I mean Hamelin.  What versatile and out of keyword kits would you recommend?  Hamelin's Core, Brotherhood of the Rat, and the upgrade pack are coming.  Thank you and have a good day.

Hamelin can be played in a lot of ways, but I agree with others that Midnight Stalker is probably the best  versatile for Hamelin (and, in fact, for any master). He comes with Malifaux Child in box, whom I personally don't use, but as Zebo pointed out he can be paired with Prospectors for more card draw. These are also very useful versatiles and as such they should be second on your purchase list.

Personally, I like Pride with Hamelin, but it may not be easy to purchase him outside Crossroads 7 box.

Some people like Hans in this crew, as he can slow down enemy beaters.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I don't usually play MS in Plague, because I've only played Recover evidence and Public Enemies and a pool of schemes that didn't require of me to spread. 

What I use to play are Prospector, Effigy and Malifaux Child, so the Child can provide cards with the Prospector's tactical, heal if needed with the Effigy's one, or make rats explode with Hamelin's (still don't needed, but ready for that). 

• Thanks 1

@Zebo, I moved our conversation to the Hamelin Tactics so I don't bog this poor fellow just starting with nuanced minutia.

The only downside about The Midnight Stalker in Plague is gaining the Plague Keyword does nothing as all the good abilities target Vermin... but Hamlin doesn't have the keyword Vermin.  He can still take advantage of his Advasary if Hamelin's not looking, but no good other good synergy.

• Thanks 1