Jack Daw vs Kaeris

Zebo

Yesterday, I played my first game with the Tormented crew, a keyword I was really hoping to give a try. 

The game was:

Public Enemies

Corner

Take Prisoner, Assassinate, Leave Your Mark, Research Mission, Spread Them Out. 

I decides to go with:

New Jack Daw Crew (Outcasts)
Size: 50 - Pool: 5
Leader:
  Jack Daw
    Servant of Dark Powers
Totem(s):
  Lady Ligeia
Hires:
  Montresor
  Jaakuna Ubume
  Guilty
  Hanged
    Servant of Dark Powers
  Crooked Man
  Hodgepodge Effigy

This was my first time with this crew, so I wanted to see how each model performs. 

I wanted SoDP in Daw for being menacing early, and for the healing for Daw. 

I also wanted the Hanged to be advanced and to heal when killing, but also for the Terrifying 13.

Montresor and Guilty are gonna be probably my go-to first models along with the Hanged. Guilty for advance recklessly and force the enemy to kill him, and Montresor to do things (don't be strict ok? I'm still learning what this guy do better). 

Also added the Effigy because some healing can be key to keep Daw alive and keep cards in hand. 

Then I decided to go with Jaakuna Ubume for the Lure. If you're gonna buble even a bit, you may want some form of forcing the enemy models to come to you, and Lure is the best way of doing it.

The Crooked Man was there to provide easy ranged Staggered, and to make the Wildfire models to suffer Staggered when affected by their own Pyre Markers... Until I realized it says "suffer damage from Hazardous Terrain" And Pyre Markers don't do damage, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My opponent went with:

New Kaeris Crew (Arcanists)
Size: 50 - Pool: 2
Leader:
  Kaeris
Totem(s):
  Eternal Flame
Hires:
  Fire Golem
    Soulstone Cache
  The Firestarter
  Fire Gamin
  Fire Gamin 2
  Firebranded
  Firebranded 2
  Elijah Borgmann

I took Leave Your Mark and Assassinate (I could have gone easily for Research Mission, but I decided Assassinate Instead to make the efforts to quit Kaeris from the table also help me score. 

Turn 1:

My opponent started with the Fire Golem using its turn to put like burning 6/7 on himself and the Gaming, and a bit also on one Firebranded. Kaeris dropped a pair of Pyre markers and moved to better position, while Gaming Walked over the Pyres and moved them, gaining some more burning in the process. 

I walked forward with the Crooked Man, the Guilty and the Effigy, and Montresor made Ubume to walk once (and black-jokered the second attempt to do the same). 

The first mistake my opponent did was to push the Fire Golem dangerously near the center with the Firestarter. 

Then Jaakuna Ubume walked, used her aura and lured the Fire Golem a bit. The Hanged walked and used Horrifying Whispers on the Golem, and Toss the Nose to do a bit of damage and put Staggered on it. Jack Daw then pushed the Golem up to Ubume's aura, and charged him, hitting once the can't Breathe Trigger and cheating once for Execute, what let my opponent with no cards and no ss left (he ready cheated like 3 cards to miss his own shockwaves, and spend 1 ss to reduce damage with the Golem) and a Golem with 4 wounds remaining. 

Turn 2:

My opponent approached a Gamin into range of "Draw Off Flame" and brought a Pyre Market with it, but Jaakuna Ubume killed the golem by hitting twice "You're Comin' with Me" inside her aura. 

Kaeris focused and charged to shoot Ubume once, dropping a Pyre which affected also the Crooked Man, and did some damage and burning to both, and then hid again behind one building. 

Then Elijah charged and killed the Guity. 

The Hanged cursed Elijah, forcing him to discard, then used Toss the nose to put Staggered on him, placing into base contact with him due to "On Your Heels", and hitting him once more to force him discard again. 

One Firebranded healed him, but Jack Daw Charged to Elijah and hit once, cursed the nearby Firebranded, used "Fickle Tormentor" To draw 2 cards and then used his last action to attack once more Elijah, emptying his hand and cheating a crow to declare Execute and finishing him. This meant I had a brand new unactivated Guilty to use. 

The Gamin tried to spread (I supposed my opponent had Spread them Out, but I was in the wrong) but before that Lady Ligeia made one of them Staggered and Montresor approached it, so it had to retreat back to avoid Monty's aura and remove staggered. 

The Guilty charged through Pyre Markers only to engage both the Firebranded and Kaeris,  but did little damage. 

The Effigy healed back Ubume and the Crooked Man walked and dropped an scheme marker near the center. 

My opponent's rest of activations was Firebranded moving around and healing a bit, and Firestarter pushing allies. 

End of turn 2:

Tormented: +2 (Public Enemies, Leave your Mark) 

Wildfire: 0

Turn 3: 

This time I went first and the Guilty did some damage to the Firebranded. 

The Firestarter pushed the Guilty away from Kaeris, but it took two chances, since the first he flipped the BJ. 

Montresor made the Guilty to walk and charge again, killing the Firebranded and engaging again Kaeris. 

Kaeris pushed one Pyre Marker through Jack Daw, Hanged and Ligeia, who failed all duels (Daw used SS to reduce to 0 the damage). Then created another Pyre and also pushed that the same way. Again I failed all flips, bit cheated to keep Ligeia alive. Then Kaeris disengaged 2" from the Guilty. 

Then Jack Daw Charged to Kaeris and hit her with some little damage, then cursed her and the Firestarter and used "Fickle Tormentor" to heal again. 

The Hanged also Charged Kaeris and did some damage, then cursed the remaining Firebranded and placed in base contact with him thanks to "On Your Heels".

Kaeris was healed a bit again by the Firebranded, but Jaakuna Ubume also charged her and thanks tho her aura put her at half her wounds. 

Ligeia did some damage to the North Gamin, and put some Staggered on it. 

End of turn 3:

Tormented: +2 (Public Enemies, Assassinate) 4

Wildfire: 0

Turn 4:

I started, and since Hanged was up to die with 2 remaining wounds, I tried to give him a chance to kill and heal a bit, but I forgot that Firebranded has armor when near Pyre markers, and he did some damage but not enough. 

Then Kaeris attacked Daw and did some damage, but I was full of cards and she needed to cheat a couple Terrifying, so it really wasn't a lot. She also created another Pyre and pushed it through Ubume and the Hanged, but this time both succeeded in the duels. 

Then Jaakuna Ubume out her aura and hit Kaeris, pushing her a bit through the aura and placing herself where her aura affected also the Firestarter,the Firebranded, the Eternal Flame and one Gamin. 

The Firebranded healed Kaeris and failed to kill the Hanged. 

Daw executed Kaeris and killed the Firebranded. 

The Firestarter shot Ubume and died due to hazardous and vengeance. 

Montresor failed to finish the 1 remaining wound Gamin from the South. 

The Eternal Flame died triying to detonate the nearby Pyre marker due to Ubume's aura. 

We call here the game. 

It was fun, at least for me. 

Daw is really interesting. Not sure if my cautious style is good for him, or if he's better being more aggressive in the middle of the enemy. He's only 6 wounds though, and I don't want to lose master. Not sure if better to spread curses around, or if focus on deleting concrete models when they run out of cards. 

Lady Ligeia seems a bit weak for me. Her more interesting thing seems to be Betrayal, but that means to be too near the enemy, and she's really fragile. Her ranged attack to put staggered is useful, bit with so low stat, she's probably not gonna hit a lot with it. Seeing the other Betrayal totem (the scribe) feels like playing with some amateur versus a veteran professional. 

Montresor... I think I didn't made good use of him. The only thing useful he did was to obey other models of my crew, and feels like he should be doing better with his own actions. 

Jaakuna Ubume... I thought that her main utility was gonna be to lure models, but her aura has been really the best of her performance (along with my luck to flip/cheat masks). At first I didn't expect from her to become a must in my lists, but this game has made me think it could be harder for me to let her out of my lists. 

Hanged feels really good. He hasn't been so killy as I expected, but has surprising mobility thanks to On Your Heels, helps a lot with his curse and is hard to kill. Not sure if better SoDP on him to improve his Terrifying, or In another minion to increase the amount of Terrifying models in the crew. But starting more near is really helpful. 

Crooked Man hasn't really did a lot, but this don't mean that it's not worth. Doing that Ubume's aura does also staggered could be gold, his auto staggered blasts also can help a lot the crew, and he can help in scheming. 

The Guilty can be the most funny model I've played until now. You can play them hyper-agressive, drain the enemy's hand, put staggered and curse the enemy. 

Still need to give more tries to those models, and I want to see what drowned and Dead Outlaw can do. 

• Like 2

On 5/1/2020 at 9:39 AM, Zebo said:

It was fun, at least for me. 

That one sure doesn't sound like fun! Was your opponent particularly inexperienced? It sounds like the game was out of hand before the end of turn 1, but certainly over by turn 2. Those are sometimes the kinds of games that are better to reset and start over.