Shenlong Crew Post Errata

Speedguyjp

Hi guys - new malifaux player here. I've been on a bit of a buying binge since getting introduced and have some ressers and Ten Thunders stuff. I've listened to a lot of podcasts and read the forums and understood Shenlong/Yu was a bit broken before the errata came out. Now with the adjustment I'm trying to figure out how players might be adjusting their crews, if at all, with the new information? Do you still intend to play Yu automatically? or do people anticipate varying it up a bit?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Speedguyjp said:

Hi guys - new malifaux player here. I've been on a bit of a buying binge since getting introduced and have some ressers and Ten Thunders stuff. I've listened to a lot of podcasts and read the forums and understood Shenlong/Yu was a bit broken before the errata came out. Now with the adjustment I'm trying to figure out how players might be adjusting their crews, if at all, with the new information? Do you still intend to play Yu automatically? or do people anticipate varying it up a bit?

I don't think Sensei Yu has ever been very good, and he wasn't run in the strongest tournament lists before the errata to the best of my knowledge. Personally, I didn't like Yu before the nerf, and now I can't see any good reason to take him. Sensei Yu and High River Monks would both need a sizable buff for me to be interested.

• Agree 2

What Jinn says. I can understand why they did it with Sensei Yu, but unfortunately that killed Sensei Yu. The great problem with Shen Long was the fermented river style with the 11" charge and negatives are positive.

Before the errata, I liked to play Shenlong entirely in the keyword, although there were better alternatives. Now only the Low River Monk is cool, the rest consists of other key words / Versatile

• Like 1

I like archers, Lotus eaters and charm warders, in addition to the low river monks. Each can have some interesting use considering the scheme pool and the enemy announced master.
Wandering river monks are still interesting as mobile models, when they can hide easily on the table.

Fermented river monks are useless because other than buying a pair of them, you will never be able to stack some poison on them.
High River monks are not good enough for their price. They are a lot too frail.

Sensei Yu I've put in most of my teams, but it is clearly underwhelming and should be replaced with something else. Unless playing against Black Blood, it will not be usefull enough.

Ototo + Minako are still good addition to the crew.

1 hour ago, green-n-dumb said:

Hello, new 10T player here. 

If you mostly pick ook and versatile models for Shen - what are they? 

ototo with Minako, samurai, emissary, tanuki or lone swordsman. The only models I use in keyword are the low river monk and wandering monk

but Monk is a keyword I rarely play because the only interesting model for me is Shenlong so I prefer to take him as a second master in another keyword

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Cursed25 said:

ototo with Minako, samurai, emissary, tanuki or lone swordsman. The only models I use in keyword are the low river monk and wandering monk

but Monk is a keyword I rarely play because the only interesting model for me is Shenlong so I prefer to take him as a second master in another keyword

How is Minako with the recent changes?

16 hours ago, Speedguyjp said:

How is Minako with the recent changes?

she is exactly the same in Last Blossom or paired with Ototo! In these 2 situations she rocks hard and the katashiro are still super good!

before the errata I was also using her with Asami but now she's not worth it in my opinion! The high cards require to summon from scrap is needed mostly for Asami and important duels so I prefer to hire Katashiro from the start now!

• 2 months later...

I'm no expert and don't count anything that I say as "advice," but I Monk is the only keyword I play without many Versatile Models. I agree that High River Monks are fragile, and pretty much require Sensei Yu to give them Fast to be better. But I find the Monk keyword to be great all-rounders. They can do some fighting, they can do some shooting, they have some movement tricks, they can bypass armor, and Chi is a neat ability. When I don't know what I'm getting into with my opponent, I know I can rely on Monks to have an answer.

To be fair, I rely a lot on Shenlong changing up his Style Upgrade to give people Focused. This makes them much better.

And, I am routinely disappointed with Sensei Yu on the table, and plan to change that up.

The model that I hate most in Monk is the Archer. With no ability to attack in melee or freely disengage (like the Sniper), I find he gets trapped and made useless too easily.

• 4 weeks later...

Sensei yu was very good before because you could attack shenlong with peasants and low river monk to give him a lot o chi and distracted for "+" from fermented river style on second turn. Now from keyword i only take 1x low river monk for cheap heal and 1x wandering river monk for schemes, sometimes charm warder when i see keyword with options for summoning and/or demise. Rest are beaters like Fuhatsu, Lone swordsman, Samurai etc.

• 3 weeks later...

For the record, Yu was also fantastic in M2E. I played with him tonight - he didn't do much aside from hand out fast and free action focused, but that's still quite a bit and he was never worried about being killed either.

I had a 10T Archer one round an Ice Golem, which was really fun. I don't think you skip out on the keyword personally - wandering river monk with ninja training is a really fantastic scheme runner as well, and low river monk for healing up hard to kill models is a good time.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for bad english.

Sensei is great cause he still got good for laugh trigger, fast for minion. bonus chi for discard.

how i use it. 1 student make 4 chi with discard them second student make 3 focus and discard then sensei charge Fuhatsu and beat him twice u got 2 card and flip 14 card. then he use bonus to fast 1 student.

on activation of shenlond he tranfer fast on FuFu then on bonus make sensei fast 1 student again and tranfer for some one new. and last one he tranfer chi for himself/tranfer focus on fufu. ucan or shoot on 1st turn or can setup 2 beater with fast like ototo and fufu

• Like 1