2020 Monthly Painting Challenge - May

Caedrus

12 hours ago, Da Git said:

The middle one uses a dress piece from a Vampire from the AoS Coven Throne

I own a couple of them lost somewhere in the pile of shame. If I'm now wrong it's an optional component should you go after an alternaternative AoS model. Great catch using it for the dove.

Colette broke her ankle...again.....aaaaaaaarghhfhhhh.... the front leg too or it wouldn't be fun. 

Anyway....

I bought the crew second hand, the two doves on curtains were already based, I take no credit. Colette had already been converted too.

I based only the third dove on the spirally thingies. I found them on the floor of my father-in-law's workshop, I believe he was drilling holes in metal. He was glad I had use for them, he though they looked cool too :D 

@Chou Can't wait to see your Reva crew. I am a big fan of her crew.

• Like 3

Hello,

time for mid month update......

IMG-20200513-194003.jpg

First of all I completed the assembling and primed the church. Then I begun assembling and sealing the church tower, that it's an addon to the monthly pledge.

I have till a mess of tasks to go after...... I wonna cut out of plastic sheets the roof for the church, then I'm always considering possible options for window glasses. The palette for the buildings will go after brick shades because of the Romanic style of the church. With brown tiles on the roofs I'll seek to create some contrast on the brick walls, may be with pale shading at the windows.

I hope but I'm not sure I'll complete the job by end of current month.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Diddick said:

Next will be struggling with the legs, i want them to be very glossy, and i'm not quite sure how to aproach the lighting & shadows on glossy surfaces.

On a gaming miniature I'd use gloss varnish.

If I'd try to paint something glossy I would paint small but strong highlights and reflectet light in the shadows. At least give it try.

17 minutes ago, Butch said:

On a gaming miniature I'd use gloss varnish.

If I'd try to paint something glossy I would paint small but strong highlights and reflectet light in the shadows. At least give it try.

yeah, the idea is to use glossy paint & varnish, but i reckon that some propperly added highlights might help to look better, maybe no very strong ones? 🤔

On 5/1/2020 at 5:25 AM, Caedrus said:

Hi All,

I've updated the painting spreadsheet, right here. Could you have a quick look, and see if I have made any errors / forgotten anything. If so, send me a reply or a PM!

Keep painting, everyone!

Caedrus.

@Caedrus Hi! I did a charm warder in January, my only mulligan was March!  :)

Havent post up my May one soon.  

Edited by Obskeree
Actually tagging caedrus

@Renown0 

Welcome to the painting challenge. @Caedrus is the host for this year's challenge, so any questions you have you can direct it to him.

In previous years you had to join before April, but this year we have a buy in system if you've missed the early months

If you look at the start of this thread there's a rules section.

To start with pick a pledge level from minion to tyrant. This will indicate how many soulstones worth of models you have to paint every month. Your allowed 2 mulligan months but as your starting late, Jan/feb will both be mulligans. So to join in May at Henchman level you'd have to paint enough stones to cover March and April (an extra 22ss worth for Henchman) 

Check with @Caedrus but I'm not sure that you have to paint those all at once, I think you could do an extra 11 this month and an extra 11 next. 

That sounds like a lot of rules, but the painting challenge is really just about having fun, challenging yourself and being part of a group that encourages each other to achieve their goals at any level 

Oh, I thought we had to join in January! That's interesting.

I do have a question. If we were to join late, could we use minis we painted during previous month as catch-up? I've kind of been challenging myself to do a mini a month and post them in my own thread when they're finished.

8 hours ago, Gloomy said:

Welcome to the painting challenge.

Thanks, both for the welcome and the info!

I'll go ahead and PM Caedrus so I don't clutter the thread up too much, but I think I can catch up to that 22ss fairly easily since I have a half-ish finished Sonnia crew box.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AzuraRayume said:

I do have a question. If we were to join late, could we use minis we painted during previous month as catch-up? I've kind of been challenging myself to do a mini a month and post them in my own thread when they're finished.

Drop @Caedrus a message and he'll let you know on that one :)