The Malifaux vassal world cup

dannydb

1 hour ago, dannydb said:

although this a team event and help might be provided pregame, during the game, it must be 1 vs 1, and therefore its recommended that world cup games room on vassal are locked, not other person should be present in the room except for the two players and if required the TO. if there is suspicion of outside interference during a world cup game, please raise this to myself.

Dan already covered this. 

hi all 

I've been asked two rules questions over the course of this week, so to save time i'll put the answers here (I'll add any more to the thread as time goes by)

"Another": As per the FAQ wyrd definition of another is "“Another” always refers to “not the model from which this text is written” except in those instances where the model in which “Another” is written would not always be a legal subject of the sentence, such as “Another Scrap Marker”, or “Another enemy model”. In such cases, “Another” will never refer to the previous legal subject."

as this means that ricochet and my loyal servant get benefits that are clearly not implied by this FAQ, these can not be used to hit the original target 

"obey" and Staggered

"Staggered:This model suffers -2Mv and cannot be moved by the effects of other friendly models" 

Obey "target model takes a non free action..... chosen and controlled by this model"

as the obeying model is choosing and controlling the action, its an effect of that model. therefore obey can not be used to make friendly staggered models move

if there are any other rules queries please let me know  

6 hours ago, dannydb said:

"obey" and Staggered

"Staggered:This model suffers -2Mv and cannot be moved by the effects of other friendly models" 

Obey "target model takes a non free action..... chosen and controlled by this model"

as the obeying model is choosing and controlling the action, its an effect of that model. therefore obey can not be used to make friendly staggered models move

if there are any other rules queries please let me know  

Disagree vehemently with this ruling, since it would also mean no obeying units out of enemy engagement ranges, among other things.  

41 minutes ago, Nagi21 said:

Disagree vehemently with this ruling, since it would also mean no obeying units out of enemy engagement ranges, among other things.  

If you obey something out an engagement range they still have to use a disengaging strike anyway as they don't change sides, they still count as enemy to enemies and friendly to friendlies throughout the obey.

2 hours ago, dannydb said:

thats the idea of staggered, its to stop people getting away 

So with this ruling, how do you resolve the once per turn restriction, since according to the above ruling the model controlling it is taking and controlling the action, not the model with the ability.

1 minute ago, Nagi21 said:

So with this ruling, how do you resolve the once per turn restriction, since according to the above ruling the model controlling it is taking and controlling the action, not the model with the ability.

Not quite the what the ruling is saying, the above ruling is saying that a model obeying a friendly model is counted as a friendly effect which is explicitly ruled out by the staggered condition, as for once per turn abilities the model with that action would still count as having performed that action. Chosen and controlled by this model does not equate to performed/taken by this model. 

3 minutes ago, Nagi21 said:

can you give an example?

3 hours ago, Nagi21 said:

As far as I can see all the ruling only affects obeying a staggered model. ( If you think it affects something else please say, I can't see how it makes any difference to obeying disengage actions). Whilst I don't think it's the right ruling, Dannyb is running the event and his word is final, so you should play with this as the rules. 

• Agree 4

Game 1 Team Russia #1 - Northern Moose Infantry

All games are complete.

Me and my teammates would especially like to note gentlemen's approach to the game of our opponents.  It was a great pleasure to play against you guys.

Dmitriy (Legislat) - Liched: 6-0

Guild Hoffman - Outcast Parker

Alex (Plaag) - Alexander Backström Sälldin: 6-2

Arcanist Collette - Neverborn Titania

Vladimir (NotSoEmpty) - Andreas Söder (Verdeloth): 6-1

Ressurectionist Jack Daw - Ressurectionist Kirai

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dannydb said:

can you give an example?

Example: Thoon takes his frozen trophy trigger, which is a once per turn trigger.  Under the above ruling, if I obey Thoon, he is not the one taking the action, therefore the trigger can be taken twice in one turn since Thoon is not the one choosing or controlling the action (see "once per" pg.33).

2 minutes ago, Nagi21 said:

Under the above ruling, if I obey Thoon, he is not the one taking the action, therefore the trigger can be taken twice in one turn since Thoon is not the one choosing or controlling the action (see "once per" pg.33).

No he is not the one choosing or controlling the action but he is still the one performing the action which they can only do once per turn, the ruling above is that an action chosen and controlled by a friendly model is a friendly effect. 

• Agree 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 2

6 hours ago, Adran said:

As far as I can see all the ruling only affects obeying a staggered model.

It does also mean a model with planted roots can't be obeyed to move. And it starts getting very close to issues with Protected and Terrifying. Since protected says "enemy Attack Action", I don't really see a way to reconcile calling a model's own walk/charge action an effect of another friendly model, but still calling an an obeyed attack friendly. Same with Obey's interaction with Vendetta. How is the attack an effect of the obeying model but the obeying model isn't the one that dealt damage to the vendetta target?

That's all I'll say on it here. If someone wants to ask it in the rules forum I'll continue over there, and will play by Dan's ruling. Although it is worth asking Dan if that ruling for staggered also applies to actions like The Oyabun's Command (The target may take the Charge Action. ...) where the model taking the action isn't being controlled, it's just being allowed to take an action outside of it's activation.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, santaclaws01 said:

It does also mean a model with planted roots can't be obeyed to move. And it starts getting very close to issues with Protected and Terrifying. Since protected says "enemy Attack Action", I don't really see a way to reconcile calling a model's own walk/charge action an effect of another friendly model, but still calling an an obeyed attack friendly. Same with Obey's interaction with Vendetta. How is the attack an effect of the obeying model but the obeying model isn't the one that dealt damage to the vendetta target?

That's all I'll say on it here. If someone wants to ask it in the rules forum I'll continue over there, and will play by Dan's ruling. Although it is worth asking Dan if that ruling for staggered also applies to actions like The Oyabun's Command (The target may take the Charge Action. ...) where the model taking the action isn't being controlled, it's just being allowed to take an action outside of it's activation.

yes an enemy model can't obey a model with planted roots to move

the oyabun's command is an intresting one, i'll look in to the relivent rules tomorrow futher

Texas Triumvirate vs Flippin Wyrds final scores

Andre Demings Neverborn (Zoraida) vs Jame V Guild (Dashal)  6 -1

Bryan Bauer  Ressers (Reva) vs Chris D Neverborn (Dreamer) 1-5

Nick Westbrook  Ten Thunders (Shenlong) vs Matt L Arcanists (Colette) 3-5 

Edited by kais666
Updated info