So, what's going on with Nekima.

Kyris

Hey Ya'll. So, I've been away from 'faux for awhile, and looking into the new stuff, i've noticed something strange going on with Nekima.

She's been upgraded to a master, which means she'll be getting a crew box. While we don't know the contents of that box yet, we know a few things and can make some educated guesses; namely her totem is the Blood Hunter, and Hayreddin is her only in-keyword henchman, so its likely he'll be the packaged henchman for her. and likely her box will include something like terror tots, and maybe some nephilim.

But, here are the weird things I've noticed.

Her master page and M3E card on the app both use her Alternate model, leading me personally to believe that they're going to make that from the Alt. Sculpt to her regular sculpt and maybe M2E nekima will become "vintage" nekima.

despite this, she's had a solo M3E box released of her alternate sculpt.

this alternate sculpt is also not available during the easter sell. - this is slightly mitigated by the fact that alt. hungering darkness also isn't available, so maybe they're only doing M2E alternates/special editions?

Hayreddin has just been announced as being a sold packaged in with black blood shaman.

I'm just curious as to what's going on. Is she getting a new sculpt for M3E? if so, why use her Alternative art for the card and her master page? Maybe thats just the closest representation to current Nekima we have? - who is her henchman? if its not hayreddin, As far as I'm aware every master who's been getting updated boxes have either already been announced/released, or they're just getting new sculpts rather than entirely new box contents.

The alt sculpt issue is interesting, not sure where that's going, aside from I suspect the Alt sculpt is going to be the "default" Nekima when we do get her box.

So for revealed boxes we've got Brood Mates (Lilitu/Lelu) and Blood Ritual (Hayreddin/Black Blood Shamen).

What's missing: Tots, Young, and Mature.

Since her henchman won't be in her box, I suspect instead she'll get a Mature. The rest of it I suspect will be some breakdown of Young/Tots. More likely 1/3, but maybe 2/2. And then the non-included sculpts for the Mature/Young/Tots will be in a separate box? Not sure about that.

From what I've seen so far, all the models that are being resculpted have gotten new artwork on their card (in the app). So it's safe to assume that Nekima (along with mature/young/tots) will get resculpted for her core box, and the 2E alt. model will still be an alt. model.

31 minutes ago, Nagi21 said:

Am I the only one expecting them to do something weird like writing Nekima out of the fluff and bringing Lilith back with how long this is taking to even get officially announced?

I think more likely is that supply disruptions were already happening, and then coronavirus shut even more things down.

While the general box make up is master, totem, henchmen and 3 minions, it's not set in stone.

I would guess we are getting a new sculpt from a practical view point, but I don't know. Lileth used to come with terror tots and a mature nephlim, which was bizzare when they had grown built in from tot to young to mature, but it made a sensible sized box, and you just had to buy young as your next purchase. So nekima could have something similar. 

But the rare limits make that a little strange, so 3 tots and 2 young could make sense. 

I'm not hugely surprised by the delay in announcing the exact contents, because wyrd generally doesn't do that in advance. 

20 hours ago, Kyris said:

I'm just curious as to what's going on. Is she getting a new sculpt for M3E? if so, why use her Alternative art for the card and her master page?

The art with Nekima with her sword down is for the Alternate Nekima model released near the end of M2E.

This image:

M3E_Nekima.png?format=1000w

is new art for M3E.  In almost all cases, new art like that is a signal that there's going to be a new model eventually.  With a really strong emphasis that we don't know how long "eventually" will take.  

20 hours ago, Kyris said:

despite this, she's had a solo M3E box released of her alternate sculpt.

That model came out near the end of M2E in a group of about a half dozen alt models.  They're all alt's because they go beyond the typical standards for models.

In that same group of Alt models was the Alt Ototo.  It was released, and on the Upcoming Releases page for June is the new Misaki core box with an M3E sculpt of Ototo.  So there's going to be Alt Ototo (drama pose), and M3E Ototo (club on back).

I assume Wyrd figures that the models are popular enough that people want to buy them, so they'll keep selling them.  🤷‍♀️

• Agree 1

On 4/18/2020 at 6:41 AM, Maniacal_cackle said:

I think more likely is that supply disruptions were already happening, and then coronavirus shut even more things down.

I mean that explains why the box hasn't released yet, but there being nothing as far as what they're going to do considering they have to plan these things way in advance makes me curious.

24 minutes ago, Nagi21 said:

I mean that explains why the box hasn't released yet, but there being nothing as far as what they're going to do considering they have to plan these things way in advance makes me curious.

If it helps, don't think we know anything about Yan Los core box (other than identifying the models through process of elimination).

So far the majority of 3e core boxes have been 6 or 7 models (Hamelin has 10, but 4 of those are rats so it’s expected).  Trying to fit the new sculpts into a crew that size and add on boxes is a little wonky with content so I’d expect to see t containing:

New Nekima sculpt.

Blood Hunter totem.

3 new Terror Tot sculpts.

2 New Young Nephilim sculpts.

New Mature Nephilim sculpt.

8 total, but with no henchman and the tots being quite titchy it isn’t unreasonable.  That leaves the current 2 young and the mature sculpt to get a 3e box together as their artwork is still on the cards.  Existing Nephilim players then get all of the new sculpts and the Blood Hunter in one box.  They’ll double up on Tots, but they are new sculpts at least and a few spares for Hayreddin’s summon doesn’t hurt.  If it had the current young and mature sculpts in it then I could see it annoying quite a few current players as they’d have to buy the core for Blood Hunter, doubling up on sculpts they already owned, and then pay for a separate box to get the new young and mature models.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Taxidermied said:

So far the majority of 3e core boxes have been 6 or 7 models (Hamelin has 10, but 4 of those are rats so it’s expected).  Trying to fit the new sculpts into a crew that size and add on boxes is a little wonky with content so I’d expect to see t containing:

New Nekima sculpt.

Blood Hunter totem.

8 total, but with no henchman and the tots being quite titchy it isn’t unreasonable.  That leaves the current 2 young and the mature sculpt to get a 3e box together as their artwork is still on the cards.  Existing Nephilim players then get all of the new sculpts and the Blood Hunter in one box.  They’ll double up on Tots, but they are new sculpts at least and a few spares for Hayreddin’s summon doesn’t hurt.  If it had the current young and mature sculpts in it then I could see it annoying quite a few current players as they’d have to buy the core for Blood Hunter, doubling up on sculpts they already owned, and then pay for a separate box to get the new young and mature models.

The Blood Hunter is likely going to be a special order item, so it likely won't matter for players that already have nephilim.

Possibly, if the rest of the set is existing sculpts.  Currently I have to buy a second Levi crew as the Scavengers are in the 3e set and are not available to special order because the rest of the box are updated sculpts.  

With being in the UK the shipping costs would likely make the Scavengers  on special order as exspensive as a full core box anyway though lol

48 minutes ago, Taxidermied said:

Possibly, if the rest of the set is existing sculpts.  Currently I have to buy a second Levi crew as the Scavengers are in the 3e set and are not available to special order because the rest of the box are updated sculpts.  

With being in the UK the shipping costs would likely make the Scavengers  on special order as exspensive as a full core box anyway though lol

They have clarified that even if new models are in boxes with new sculpts, you'll still be able to special order the new models only.

Any delay in them being on the special order list is probably from distribution issues, or their normal delay in making things available.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, dzlier said:

They have clarified that even if new models are in boxes with new sculpts, you'll still be able to special order the new models only.

Any delay in them being on the special order list is probably from distribution issues, or their normal delay in making things available.

Good to hear as the special order page seemed to state that you just have to buy the entire box if they are all new.  After looking at the 2e and 3e Lucius boxes and finding that Agent 46 can be special ordered despite there being a new Lucius sculpt etc. contained it’s my interpretation of the order restrictions that is incorrect.

I still think the Nekima core box will all be new sculpts instead of a mix.  Why have people buying a box of new youngs and a mature to then special order a Blood Hunter when they could stuff them all in the same box.  Shifts more copies of the shiney new core models and reduces the amount of special orders they have to fulfill.

• Like 1

Just to clarify, the intent of the special order is that if you owned a model in M2e, you don't need to re-buy it in M3. This is regardless of them making a different sculpt of the model.

Its referring to new models (ones that didn't exist in previous Malifaux editions) not new sculpts of previously existing models.

Special orders are due to be updated each quarter, so in normal circumstances I'd expect an update in the next month, but I have no idea how Covid is changing timelines. The scavangers should appear next update.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Taxidermied said:

I still think the Nekima core box will all be new sculpts instead of a mix.

Oh yeah I agree with the logic here. Was just letting you know that you do not in fact have to buy the entire box just for Scavengers.

Marcus' Order Initiates are another example of this. Marcus has new sculpts, but Initiates were one of the first special orders available.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 6:34 PM, Taxidermied said:

New Nekima sculpt.

Blood Hunter totem.

Unlikely as they just released the matures in their own box.  If they were going to stack new sculpts in crew boxes for stuff that already had a box, they'd have Hayreddin in there anyway.

8 hours ago, Nagi21 said:

Unlikely as they just released the matures in their own box.  If they were going to stack new sculpts in crew boxes for stuff that already had a box, they'd have Hayreddin in there anyway.

Could you pop me a link to that Matures box please as I can’t find it in the store or in the upcoming list.

• Agree 1

On 4/28/2020 at 4:07 AM, Nagi21 said:

I can't find any 3E boxes containing mature nephilim, and given they do indeed have new artwork for 2 of them, I think it quite probable that they may be found in the core box. (or as a separate boxes bundled with something else)

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

It would be good to hear something about her crew box, as it would be nice to have a proper model for Blood Hunter.  Do we know if there is a sculpt out there being worked on yet?

As for the possible contents I think we will have Nekima, Blood Hunter, 2 young nephilim and 2 terror tots (although I don't like them in the new rules apart from for growing).

4 hours ago, Redgore said:

It would be good to hear something about her crew box, as it would be nice to have a proper model for Blood Hunter.  Do we know if there is a sculpt out there being worked on yet?

As for the possible contents I think we will have Nekima, Blood Hunter, 2 young nephilim and 2 terror tots (although I don't like them in the new rules apart from for growing).

Unlikely since Tots are minion 3, and every box that has come with a minion has come with a full set aside from Hamelin.  The issue is the matures have their own box already, and youngs are minion 4, so that gets weird with logistics.

There's also the Henchman issue since Hayreddin already has his own box out with the BBS.

1 hour ago, farmoar said:

Where have you seen Matures in their own box?

They were in their own box in 2e.  The issue is still that unless they put 2 matures in the box, its not an option, and if you put 2 matures, then what else?  Three tots and a young box on its own?  Also the henchman situation is weird because Hay already has his own box.

14 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I don't think M3E has any precedent for splitting like models apart?

So seems like it will likely be the Nek/totem/2 mature/3 tots with standalone young neph? Or some combination with the odd model out having its own box.

There's still the henchman issue.  I'm struggling to think of any box that doesn't include one.