Symbols of authority in Guild

le_wahou

I have troubles with the symbols of authority strat in guild. We do not have good scheme runners able to get 4 symbols from the opponent, and I have troubles defending them. What kind of team do you build when you see this strat ?

The models I like here are our cavalry. Mounted guard, Lone Marshal, pale rider. Mounted guard are good but fragile. Lone marshal can not score if they are engaged, and pale rider is 11 points and tend to be used for his bonus action rather than pure running. Undercover reporter can be a solution, but your opponent can counter him if he has enough minions.

I have never tried a reporter team to go hard on denial, but preventing the opponent from scoring at least 2 points seems impossible without tabliing him on beginning of turn 3.

I find Basse is quite good.

Clockwork traps are quite good at denying a symbol. Put two on a symbol and the opponent won't be able to interact without don't mind me. Most schemers won't be able to both kill a trap and take an interact, so if they kill one you move the other up and suddenly it takes three turns to take a symbol.

Also an increased deployment really helps in this strat. 

Rider plus grimwell is an expensive, but very fast combo, that can quickly cover ground. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

For SOA standard deployment withassassinate, break through, hidden martyrs, catch and release, take prisoner. 

New Nellie Cochrane Crew (Guild)
Size: 50 - Pool: 2
Leader:
  Nellie Cochrane
Totem(s):
  The Printing Press
Hires:
  Phiona Gage
  Undercover Reporter
  Field Reporter
  Field Reporter 2
  Dr. Grimwell
  Pale Rider

Thoughts?

Nellie seems surprisingly flexible and like she could be taken into any pool.

3 hours ago, Marc Bowling said:

For SOA standard deployment withassassinate, break through, hidden martyrs, catch and release, take prisoner. 

New Nellie Cochrane Crew (Guild)
Size: 50 - Pool: 2
Leader:
  Nellie Cochrane
Totem(s):
  The Printing Press
Hires:
  Phiona Gage
  Undercover Reporter
  Field Reporter
  Field Reporter 2
  Dr. Grimwell
  Pale Rider

Thoughts?

Nellie seems surprisingly flexible and like she could be taken into any pool.

I like it.  But it's opponent dependent.  So many crews take out field reporters really easily that those will take adjustment.

15 hours ago, Higgybeans said:

This confused me slightly then I realised Symbols of Authority is part of the gaining grounds tournament pack. Do you recommend using them just for casual play? Or is the core rulebook OK for that?

In general I'd recommend people play the most current Gaining Grounds. Mostly so then you are on the same page as everyone else (the vast majority of people on the forums/facebook groups/etc will play the most up-to-date Gaining Grounds), so it can be good to play the current rules.

This can easily be toggled in the app.

That said, every meta is different. If your meta likes the base game, play the base game!

• Like 1