Declare Action from Trigger

Chilbi

Question

A quick question:
I'm about to play against Molly as Mei Feng. Concerning Mei's Jackhammer Trigger: does the second attack count as being declared, since it is generated by the Trigger? Or in other words, do I take Damage from Molly by taking the Trigger Attack?

6 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, Chilbi said:

A quick question:
I'm about to play against Molly as Mei Feng. Concerning Mei's Jackhammer Trigger: does the second attack count as being declared, since it is generated by the Trigger? Or in other words, do I take Damage from Molly by taking the Trigger Attack?

Step 1 of taking an action is declaring the action.

So yes you will take the damage

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Chilbi said:

I found that part in the rules. For me it looks like the Trigger is already "announcing" which Action I'm taking. "take the same Action again"

Do you think the trigger lets you use the same card in the opposed duel? I'm going to assume not even though it is "taking the same action" again. So why should it let you skip any other part of the taking an action steps?

So whilst in the case you are referring to, you are only allowed to take the Jackhammer action, the rules for taking actions are still the same, as such you need to declare the action.

The action is  anew action, its just got the restriction that it has to be a jackhammer action, that doesn't bypass any of the steps to complete an action

• Agree 2

I agree with @Adran that you can't just skip the pre-resolved parts of the resolution step, because that would prevent the use of other effects that would otherwise apply.  If, for instance, you thought Onslaught let you skip the targeting step, that would have implications for Terrifying, Take the Hit, Protected, etc.

9 hours ago, Chilbi said:

I found that part in the rules. For me it looks like the Trigger is already "announcing" which Action I'm taking. "take the same Action again"

If you try to 'take the same Action again' you have to go through the same steps, as specified in Resolving Actions:

Resolving Actions is a straightforward process. The model proceeds through the five steps below in order:

1. Declare the Action 

2. Pay any Costs

3. Targeting

4. Perform Duels

5. Apply Results

Note that it's not possible to claim that 'take' is a special verb when used with the word Action, since "Taking Actions" is Step 2 of a model's activation.

In other words, "take the same Action again" means "Take an action, declaring this Action again."

• Agree 1