2020 Monthly Painting Challenge - April

Caedrus

I wish everyone Happy Easter and hope you all are healthy.

Here's my pledge for this month:

IMG-20200412-195330.jpg

It's a new copy of the building I crashed by accident some times ago. I have also a couple of buildings I'm going after from past weeks.

THE APRIL CHALLENGE

1. Working with MDF scenics, wood-putting works as fine as plastic one to fill assembly lines.

2. I make use of dedicated spray filler to finish the scenic before going to primer it. It's a sort of resin/water suspension.

3. Making proper use of masking tape you can finish the scenics using only airbrush techniques, including washing. Whatever you are airbrushing make use of dedicated thinner.

• Like 6

@catsgamesandpizza Welcome to Malifaux and also the painting challenge. @Caedrus is the host for this year's challenge, so any questions you have you can direct it to him.

In previous years you had to join before April, but this year we have a buy in system so I'm assuming its all good for new people to join?

If you look at the start of this thread there's a rules section.

To start with pick a pledge level from minion to tyrant. This will indicate how many soulstones worth of models you have to paint every month. Your allowed 2 mulligan months but as your starting late, Jan/feb will both be mulligans. So to join in April you'd have to paint your April pledge + also paint the same amount for March.

So if you pledge in at Enforcer level (6ss a month) You'd have to paint 6ss worth for April and 6ss for March. Total 12. Does that make sense?

So far for April you've already painted Ice Golem 10, 3x Ice Gamin 12 and a Malifaux Child 3. So your already on 25ss. (Lovely painting by the way) which means you could already pledge in at Henchman level. Or 7ss more and you could pledge in at Master level

That sounds like a lot of rules, but the painting challenge is really just about having fun, challenging yourself and being part of a group that encourages each other to achieve their goals at any level 

On 4/17/2020 at 2:25 AM, Caedrus said:

So, one of the interesting things about social isolation is that you generate these grand plans about what you're going to paint with all this extra time.

"I'm gonna do my actual job", you say, "and then I'll have a relax. Maybe do some painting...", and then you find yourself using your allocated painting time to really organise your scenery collection, or some other distraction. Weird.

Looking the way things are going it seems like you actually described the way goverments and highest autorities are managing this time of toubles. ;)

Oops! Didn't post till now!

For April I decided to do my three Poison Gamin. I then noticed they were 5 points not 6.. so I need an extra point.. I am working on that... but for now.. the tumultuous attempt at poison gamin!

hMACU8P.jpg

EmS5R9E.jpg

So I decided to try a new thing and do some blending, having them go from yellow to green! I think it worked pretty well for a first try.. however...

29cNCHF.jpg

I then made the mistake of trying to wash them with a contrast paint.. which just completed owned the whole model.. so.. damn..

jSTBUq7.jpg

KONbnL5.jpg

I decided to just try painting again.. this time slightly more paint caked sadly.. so ehhhh

QJXQ2tK.jpg

Then a green wash, rather than a contrast. works much better.

ZT5x6Vh.jpg

Finally I glossed em up with a couple of additional highlights. Not great, but well.. good learning experience and it's not like I'm likely to put em on the table much anyway!

• Like 6