2020 Monthly Painting Challenge - April

Caedrus

@catsgamesandpizza Thanks! Sadly I don't have photos but I'll do my best to explain what I did. 

I painted the Red (just a mid red with a red wash over the top) first, partly because I only decided to do the Flicker glow afterwards.

The green was primarily two colours, from the citadel range. The deeper Warpstone Glow, and the bright Moot Green.

I started by coating on a fair few layers of very thin Warpstone Glow. It didn't blend too well with the red, so I suspect there's a better way to go about this bit.

I did put a coat of Ork flesh contrast paint on it, but not sure this has actually affected the final product at all so probably not an important step.

I built up the blend by just mixing the two paints starting with a mix heavy with Warpstone glow and adding more Moot Green for each grade of the blend. 

Each Grade involved a couple of thin layers,

Eventually I painted a layer in just Moot Green.

I gave it a coat of Thraka Green wash to get some shading in without knocking out the actual colours (Do not use a contrast paint for this oh boy I have learnt that lesson!)

Finally I finished it up by mixing a little Golden yellow (a very bright yellow) with the Moot Green to make a final tone.

An old lecturer of mine on my concept art course taught me that if you want something to look like a glow then shift the hue a little on the brightest colour. Move green to yellow, or blue to teal or purple etc etc. Helps it look like it's got a bit of light to it.

Hope that makes sense and helps!

Also that IS a beautiful red on the Nephilim!

@Caedrus With my Black Ops finished,  I'm done for the month;

O6yEb7n.jpg

IuGwCCR.jpg

(Sorry for the crappy pics)

These have rapidly become my favourite unit in the Allegiance. There's just so much character in each sculpt!

I also got this fellow done;

nfdGxyI.jpg

Not Wyrd, obviously, but he's been on my half- painted pile for at least a year so I figured it was time to finish him off! I'm pretty happy with how he turned out. Even though i almost never play the game. :P

Anyway for the sake of the pledge, this month I've painted 11 Fireteam bases (11x5), an Egg Clutch (7), Earl Burns (3), and 9 ECB Black Ops (9x5) for 110SS in total. 

... and for the sake of updating convenience, my February pledge was 103SS, while March was 81SS. ;)

• Like 6

@Caedrus Thanks! The Apothecary is straight from the box...or at least I think it is. I bought it second hand so it came assembled. 

@Wintergloom I love what you've done with the western buildings. Much better than the dodgy effort I put into mine. :P

@Antinea Well done on the Cyclops. It's paint jobs like this that make me question my decision not to invest in an airbrush...

@TeaCrusader The bases on your Murder Monkeys look great. Is it supposed to be Lava? Or are they black bush things with a red underglow? It's a little hard to tell, but it has me intrigued - I've been looking at ways to vary up my basing from my usual "dirt 'n' ruins" approach.

• Thanks 1

@Caedrus thx! to be honest i was kind of lucky with the NMM, i wanted to try something different for the metal, go for a redish metal (to add contrast with the dominant green/blue) instead of the blue/gray formula i usually do.  After a couple of failures on the highlights attempting with redish grays, i ended up going with the steel gray + white, wich is kind of blue, and it created this very contrasted highlight on the redish blade.

@Rathnard the red glow is not lava, it's just glow, honestly XD.  Let's call it Oni Glow, there's no much explanation about why is there other than give "consistency" to the whole oni band.  I'll be adding this bright red in all the Oni minis (either in the base, lamps, eyes... ) this way i'm not tied to a whole color scheme for all the minis and can try things i think will look best in each one of them, while keeping the feeling of a "team" at the saem time.  I already did that for my hamelin crew with a green glow and i liked it.

• Like 1