2020 Monthly Painting Challenge - April

Caedrus

Welcome to the 2020 Wyrd Painting Challenge!

This is the thread for the April Painting Challenge. I’m Caedrus, and I have the very great pleasure of being your host for 2020. While I am proud to be your host, this competition belongs to all of us, and if there’s anything that we can better to improve the Challenge, please do let me know.

April is the month of opening, with Spring in the Northern parts of the world. April’s flower is the daisy and sweet pea, so a month to get those whites and magentas. April’s stone is the diamond, so let’s get some extreme edge highlights!

The link to the painter spreadsheet is being updated shortly, and I’ll update the February and March numbers in the next few days.

The 2020 Wyrd Monthly Painting Challenge is all about:

1. Having fun painting!
  2. Motivating yourself, and encouraging others.
  3. Being part of a great, friendly community.
  4. Giving and receiving constructive advice. And, finally:
  5. Getting some pigment onto plastic!

This is not a competition in any way.

The pledge categories are the following:

• Minion: you paint at least 1 Soulstone worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Enforcer: you paint at least 6 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Henchman: you paint at least 11 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Master: you paint at least 16 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month
  • Tyrant: you paint at least 31 Soulstones worth of Wyrd miniatures each month

The rules:

• The challenge started on January 1st, 2020. 
  • Models count for the month in which you finish them. You can finish painting a model that you started before the beginning of the month.
  • Everyone may fail to make their monthly goal twice and stay in the challenge. This is using a mulligan. See the Buy-Back rule, below.
  • You can choose to go down a pledge level during the year, but you cannot move up.
  • A model is considered painted if it is (1) based (even glued onto a black base counts); (2) tournament legal. That means that if it's a translucent, based model, it counts automatically. If it is any opaque material, then the standard is: Every part of the miniature painted, and three colours minimum.

A new rule for 2020: The Buy-Back

Everyone has good months and bad months. To encourage people to continue to paint, we will be trying out a new rule this year: the Buy-Back. In the past, if you have used your two mulligans, you’re out of the Challenge!

However, in 2020, you can buy your way back into the challenge. All you have to do is to undertake your normal pledge and paint for the month, AND undertake the pledge and paint from one of the months you mulliganed.

E.g.: Sarah is painting at Enforcer level (6SS/month), and she’s needed to mulligan for the third time. She announces that for the upcoming month, she’ll paint 12SS. If she does so, she’s back in the Challenge!

At such a time, it might be worthwhile considering dropping down a category, but that’s up to Sarah!

Miniature Values:

Malifaux

• Almost all models count as their Soulstone value; but
  • Masters count for 15 soulstones.
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones.
  • Proxies (constructed from Wyrd models) count for their proxy value.

The Other Side

• Titans count for 25 soulstones.
  • Commanders count for 15 soulstones.
  • Adjunct models count for 5 soulstones.

Otherwise:

• A 30mm base model is worth 5 soulstones.
  • A 40mm base model is worth 7 soulstones.
  • A 50mm base model is worth 10 soulstones.
  • Markers count for 2 soulstones if they're flat, or 5 soulstones if they're 3D and fancy

Terrain

• ·       Scatter Piece (5SS): A modest piece of terrain, or a small number of scattered terrain pieces. These are the spray-can and dry-brush pieces.
  • ·       Focus Piece (10SS): A terrain piece that represents a focal point of pride in a terrain board. These pieces require a decent amount of construction and painting.
  • ·       Centre Piece (20SS): A terrain piece that is a significant centrepiece to the terrain. A handmade forest, a mausoleum, or a train engine.
  • ·       Masterpiece (50SS): A gorgeous, unique terrain piece that makes people wonder if you get out much.
  • ·       War and Peace (100SS): A complete, themed 3’x3’ terrain board.

My very best for April, and 2020!

Caedrus.

• Like 2

For April, I pledge to finish my Mounted Guard rider, and to paint some more of the Obliteration keyword.

Shelf of Shame photos coming soon.

Fellow painters, can I be serious for just a moment?

Obviously, the world is all under the effects of a terrible pandemic. For those members of the Wyrd Painting family right at the battlefront, my absolute best thoughts.

For those already afflicted, look after yourself, and seek help if you need to.

For those fortunate enough to be in nations where interventions are taking place, and efforts are being made to flatten the curve, stay inside, maintain social distance, and look after each other.

For all of you, and your loved ones: Take care of each other. Help the isolated. Listen to those who need to talk, and speak up when the stresses of this situation get to you.

In the spirit of unity, I present a challenge for you:

The April Challenge

This month, show your support for your fellow human, and fellow painter, by telling us all the best piece (or pieces!) of painting advice you’ve ever read, realised, watched, or learned.

Be strong, be sensible, be safe, be well.

Your painting friend,

Caedrus.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The April Challenge

My best three pieces of advice are:

• Hang your miniatures upside down when you’ve done a wash.
  • Glazing purple into shadows works for pretty much everything.
  • Use undiluted paint when you’re doing the pupils of the eyes.

Caedrus

• Like 7

Nice.

A realization I got just recently: thin your paints. Painted 15 years without doing so..😀

I just received my sealed executioners box from a trusted ebay seller. Only one sprue inside, though.. I guess I take this as an opportunity to convert Mr. Langston, whom I have just lying around, to a new purpose.. I also got very inspired by the Perdita tactica I just read here, might have to repaint her before progressing with the others..😄

• Like 3

The April Challenge

1. Paint Brown first before painting gold and brass. Makes a really good base.

2. When doing OSL, lightly drybrush with a mid tone before laying down glazes picking out highlights (means much less glaze layers needed)

3. Mixing Cadian fleshtone and Fenrisian Grey gives a really nice undead fleshtone

• Like 4

So here's what I'm aiming to paint this month;

nmExOEF.jpg

An Egg Clutch, Earl Burns (my attempt to make headway on Zipp's keyword!), the English Cricket Board Black Ops and 11 Fireteam bases. Assuming @Caedrus is okay with it I figured I'd count the latter as 3D markers, so 5SS each?

As for painting advice...

The April Challenge

1. Base coat, dry brush and ink wash. While i use plenty of other techniques these days, alot of my painting is still based on those three steps. Especially when I'm trying to get something done quickly.  If you're starting out our are just not good at painting, this is a really easy way to get a good result without too much effort.

2. When it comes to figuring out a colour scheme, less is more. I typically focus on one major colour, with one secondary colour used sparingly. Beyond that I'll avoid adding any other colours, even as spot colours unless i REALLY want those bits to stand out.  The exception are Blacks, greys, and white, which are neutral colours and can thus be added freely without messing too much with the aesthetic of your color scheme. 

I'm sure better painters could describe how to use broader colour pallets that look good, but this is what's worked for me. ;)

• Like 6

This month is still "the season of the oni" and I'll go for 3 x Yokai for 18ss

The April Challenge

1. Use something to hold the mini.  A cork, a paint pot, a pro mini holder (I use a plastic cylinder with some blue tag at the top).

2. Wet pallete, if you are not familiar with it, go investigate right now (again, there's pro ones, but i use just some sponge in a flat plastic container with some oven paper on top)

3. (First 2 are facts, this one is just an opinion) Paint the mini that you WANT to paint, not the one you HAVE TO.  Motivation is key to make an extra effort and push your skills a bit further, which will make you improve

• Like 3

Hello everybody!

These are the planned models for April, in case we continue with the quarantine beyond the 11 of April (in Spain), I guess more models will be added. 

* Manos proxy (9SS): I'll be using the Binh Nguyen model from The Other Side until I get my real Manos, I guess that in that moment it will become a Goryo as I don't want 8 Senshis. 

* Dead Dandy (2 x 4 = 8 SS): I love this models, I'll paint 2 out of 3 as I think three won't ever be in the table at the same time. 

* Crooligans (3 x 4 = 12 SS): I don't like this models, but since they can be summoned by the Fogotten Marshal...

* The Forgotten Marshal (7 SS): I think he works well with Molly, and I like the model with its Clint Eastwood vibes. 

* Night terrors (2 x 5 = 10 SS): again, some models I don't like, but I think they are useful. Just will paint 2 out of 4. 

That will make 46 SS and 9 models. 

The April Challenge

1. In case of doubt when mixing paints for highlighting, a pale flesh do wonders. 

2. With the airbrush, always use thinner, even if it's just a drop or two and the colours chosen are from the air range.

3. Use the brush cleaners and restorers products, your brush will like it. 

• Like 5

The Lord of Steel in contrast paints although I used regular white paint to fade the jet-pack fumes. 15 SS

IY5Y0pZ.jpg

iUs62yQ.jpg

That's my last Abyssinia model, which means my original goal for the year is done. 285 SS for the lot of them, plus a few other models.

hn1eRBq.jpg

I also did these three, but they aren't Wyrd models so they don't count. The one with the sword was a test model for Contrast paints before I started the Abyssinia models, the other two are intended to be DnD characters for when the world reopens.

8M0hyrP.jpg

I have more  Malifaux models to build and paint, so more to come throughout the year. I'll post as I go along, but I won't have any formal monthly goals.

I know everyone is doing their best to stay safe, just remember to stay staying safe.

The April Challenge

1: Wash your figures (also wash your hands) ; years of paint falling off before I was told this one.

2: Thin your paints / use a wet palette.

3: Paint... It isn't about making a masterpiece, it is about learning with every brushstroke.

• Like 9

My main April pledge is the Yan Lo crew:

nREbB28.png

Plus the Souldrain Forest:

VHUTand.png

With a stretch goal of finishing the Latigo and Tormented keywords:

OWBsDbb.png 

My three pieces of advice after painting minis for two years:

• Invest in an airbrush if you're serious about the hobby.
  • Don't forget the 3-foot rule; you want to see those details from the table, even if they look a bit garish up close.
  • Take care of your drybrushes and they'll take care of you.
  • Like 9

Inspired by @TeaCrusader's magnificent Rail/Metal Golem last month, I have decided to try to paint one of my own. Pledging for 10 ss.

0.thumb.jpg.6ec1c8f3d0ca9aa057ef51a14a1de524.jpg

The April Challenge

1. Use separate water pots if alternating between typical paints, and those that are metallic/pearl. Otherwise you can end up with little metallic flakes on parts where you didn't want them.

2. When using dropper bottles from lines such as Vallejo, Reaper and Andrea, don't squeeze the bottle harder if the nozzle is clogged. It's a good way to waste paint when the lid pops off and half the bottle contents go with it. Use the end of a paper clip to unclog it instead.

3. There are often more cost-effective alternatives to buying small containers of products marketed towards miniatures painters, such as from stores that sell fine art supplies.  Similarly, larger jars of scenery texture paste for dioramas can be more economic than small pots of base detail. For example, compare the price at your hobby store for a 200mL jar of Vallejo Ground Texture: Snow to how much you will end up paying for 8x 24mL pots of Gouge Workshop's Valhallan Blizzard. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Here are my first two entries for April: 
Rabble-Risers-done.jpg

Two Rabble Risers for 6 Stones each - 12 Stones

Next will probably be the Rogue Necromancy.

Tips: 
1. Only get an airbrush if you are willing to invest a lot of time into learning how to use it. It is a totally different way of getting color on your miniatures. 

2. Thin the colors. Seriously, thin them down. Never ever use colors straight out from the pot.

3. a) When using an airbrush: When you are done with one color, use a few drops of thinner after emptying the airbrush from the color to keep it clean for the next color. 

3. b) When using a brush: Never mix your colors with brushes you want to use for painting if you don't want to destry it. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Antinea said:

(...)
1st time I've used my airbrush for something else than just priming and I'm more than happy with the results.
Base color is VMC Blue grey, Shadows are Dark prussian blue and Highlights are Pale blue.

Really nice for the first time using an airbrush. The contrast on the skin is very strong and still smooth.