fun and not sraightforward master

green-n-dumb

Hello.
I was a Bayou player from 2016 but when m3e hit release for me my main masters lost their cool, flashy and big-bada-boom gameplay - Somer and Wong. Lots of masters become very straightforward or boring - Zoraida, Ophelia, Ulix.
So I've sold the whole faction and looking for some new and interesting gameplay without boring moves.
First I've thought about - Mei Feng with all that cool-looking teleports all around the map.
Second - McMourning looks fun with all that poison, heavy damage and healing tricks.

What master you find interesting, not very straightforward and cool gameplay?

• Agree 1

How about Hamelin. He operates like no other, demanding deep synergy from his crew in pushing the plague. 

Lucius is a very interesting chap with his ability to sink his actions into wherever they’re most needed on the board. 

I’m pretty intrigued by Collette and her crew being more interested in putting on a good show, over beating your brains in. 

And one of my personal favorites is Pandora with her disruptive depression, murder babies and Teddy bears. 

-

I’ve been tempted by the ninjas as well, but the whole thunder faction is just so very trope-y and not very faux’y. 

• Like 1

@green-n-dumb: I regularly play versus Mei Feng and can confirm that Ride the Rails is a very powerful and cool mechanic. The Crew can be played in almost every Strat and Scheme with a bit of customization. You have a movement-based crew with some solid models (Armor is widespread but beware of irreducible damage). Ride the Rails allows you to redeploy your models where most needed during the game.

As @Regelridderen said, Colette is also a cool Master to play with. Even more mobility than Mei Feng but a more fragile Crew. That weakness is compensated by Don't mind Me or Agile that let you scheme nearly wherever you want. If you look at a Crew not based on killing but on scheming, you would make a good choice with Colette. If you start the last two turns Buried, Colette has a huge niusance role and can score her own points or deny ennemy's points almost anywhere on the table if you have well placed your models. Positionnig is an important part of her theme and the Crew can be a bit tricky to understand during your first games but once you have mastered her shenanigans, you have a solid Crew for almost every situation (with the exception of Reckoning, haven't tested it yet in Public Ennemies). For more details about her playstyle, you can take a look at my tactica in the Arcanists forum. Another thing  to keep in mind, if your local meta is heavily based on "Kill first, Scheme later", Colette can be a bit harder to use with good results (not useless but more difficult to win).

Concerning McMourning, I have faced him many times and even if Poison is a cool mechanic I find it a little boring as my opponent was always doing the same thing. But the Crew is very good and perhaps other players use it in different ways.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Regelridderen said:

How about Hamelin. He operates like no other, demanding deep synergy from his crew in pushing the plague. 

Can Hamelins crew do dmg?
And how fun is gameplay? Got bad memories after playing Ulix - all your turn is calculation of activations and what you need to summon and where.

1 hour ago, green-n-dumb said:

Can Hamelins crew do dmg?
And how fun is gameplay? Got bad memories after playing Ulix - all your turn is calculation of activations and what you need to summon and where.

Depends on how you define fun. Hamelin demands a buildup of tokens to do damage, yet when he does, he can be oppressive e.g. Min4 minions. But there is a lot of activations and calculations.

So what do you define as ‘fun’?

Just now, Regelridderen said:

So what do you define as ‘fun’?

The most fun in Malifaux I had when i was playing Somer in m2e and had dumb luck crew.
Like little bayou gremlins shooting with rams and blasting everything or het tottaly screwed. And bayou 2 cards.
Wong in m2e was pretty fun - that big damage and lots of AoE badabooms.
Zipp was kinda fun with all the crew flying around the table.
Brewmaster general style is kinda fun with all that posion stuff, but he seems not finished for me, crew misses something.
Mei Feng teleports are fun.

3 hours ago, green-n-dumb said:

The most fun in Malifaux I had when i was playing Somer in m2e and had dumb luck crew.
Like little bayou gremlins shooting with rams and blasting everything or het tottaly screwed. And bayou 2 cards.
Zipp was kinda fun with all the crew flying around the table.
Brewmaster general style is kinda fun with all that posion stuff, but he seems not finished for me, crew misses something.
Mei Feng teleports are fun.

You might wanna try Euripides.  Trying to work out the trigonometry of how to coordinate 50mm models around optimally with 30mm markers constantly moving around is somewhat "fun" if complexity is your thing.  Lucius and Nellie are also fairly difficult to get a handle on.  Both lack direct oomph and have to play around a lot of auras and planning ahead.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nagi21 said:

You might wanna try Euripides.  Trying to work out the trigonometry of how to coordinate 50mm models around optimally with 30mm markers constantly moving around is somewhat "fun" if complexity is your thing.  Lucius and Nellie are also fairly difficult to get a handle on.  Both lack direct oomph and have to play around a lot of auras and planning ahead.

complexity is not the real goal at all.
realy dont like gameplay when you need to meausre, calculate and overbrain each activation each turn.

I've played Somer since first. I miss his ability to "go commando" and cause a lot of carnage by himself. Other then that, 3rd Ed Somer is probably my favorite edition yet. 

If you like teleportation, I'd recommend Mei or Colette. Viks are on option too if you want some teleportation and fragile models with lots of punch. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, green-n-dumb said:

complexity is not the real goal at all.
realy dont like gameplay when you need to meausre, calculate and overbrain each activation each turn.

So a simple keyword that isn’t straightforward?

-

I’ll revert to my standard answer. Go with the models, that makes you want to paint the most and play to have fun.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I find Marcus quite fun, lately. Versatile hiring pool, and the upgrade mechaninc let's you adapt to the situation and makes the crew less straight forward while not too complex... He's also dual faction now which gives him some more options in playstyle/hiring pool

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mule said:

Viks fun to play? Like the fact that the keyword seems easy to get hold of, with good and relevant m3e boxes available.

I'm definitely biased here but I think so. They do play a little differently than you might expect reading the card or if you came from m2e. They're not rocket launched killing machines anymore. Instead they're really mobile bullies. They usually want to avoid fights against other beaters and instead pick off weaker models while scheming.

The mercenary keyword as a whole is generally fast and fragile. Some models are great (Ronin, Vanessa) and some are awful (Desperate Mercenaries, Taelor)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/24/2020 at 8:45 AM, green-n-dumb said:

I agree completely. Definitely finding M3e Wong lacklustre in comparison, and too mentally taxing for me. Som'er was hilarious in M2e, but with the removal of the heavy self-flagellation theme in Gremlins ("Dumb Luck" triggers specifically, but also being able to hit your own guys for squeals, etc), I've really lost a lot of my love for Bayou. Have also sold some off - Mah and Ophelia - and thinking of chucking Ulix, Wong and Som'er. Would be fine with keeping Brewmaster and Z, and yet to try Zipp (I think I'll be moving to Outcasts with Freikorps to begin with, as they're quite fun). 

RIP M2e Gremlins! 😉 (just my own opinion, of course)

8 hours ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

I agree completely. Definitely finding M3e Wong lacklustre in comparison, and too mentally taxing for me. Som'er was hilarious in M2e, but with the removal of the heavy self-flagellation theme in Gremlins ("Dumb Luck" triggers specifically, but also being able to hit your own guys for squeals, etc), I've really lost a lot of my love for Bayou. Have also sold some off - Mah and Ophelia - and thinking of chucking Ulix, Wong and Som'er. Would be fine with keeping Brewmaster and Z, and yet to try Zipp (I think I'll be moving to Outcasts with Freikorps to begin with, as they're quite fun). 

RIP M2e Gremlins! 😉 (just my own opinion, of course)

If you like hitting your own crew, I hear Tormented does heaps of that!

• Haha 1