FAQ & Alp

Ben

Question

Hello all,

I don't really understand how the FAQ and the alp ability "made to kill" combine

The alp ability : Once per activation. After this model is placed, it may take a :ToS-Melee: action after resolving the current action.

The FAQ

• 12. Can Once per Activation effects occur outside an Activation, such as during the Start or End Phases?
  • a) No. Effects that are restricted to Once per Activation can only be used during a model’s Activation, i.e. Steps C.1 – C.4 of the Activation phase (pg. 21).

Since the alp has no ability to place itself, is there actually no way to use his ability ? I thought he could attack when he unburies but this is outside his activation...

Any thought ?

Thank you in advance 😀

3 answers to this question

This is an important distinction, especially if you've seen other war-games like Warmachine/Hordes where 'once per activation' means 'once during that unit/model's activation'.  (Or like in various versions of 40k, where 'the assault phase' for rules means 'that player's assault phase' unless you want silly rules interactions...)

In the Malifaux rules, sentences like this:

A model can only take an Action or Ability that is once per Activation once during an Activation.

use 'an Activation' to mean 'any model's Activation'.  The distinction is pretty much that Malifaux, unlike the other games, doesn't require the reader to imply a distinction.

One of the things which the FAQ entry

12. Can Once per Activation effects occur outside an Activation, such as during the Start or End Phases?

a) No. Effects that are restricted to Once per Activation can only be used during a model’s Activation, i.e. Steps C.1 – C.4 of the Activation phase (pg. 21).

is addressing is the interaction of things like Arcane Shield (During the Start Phase, this model gains Shielded +1) and Pandora's Misery (a 'Once per Activation' ability which in Pandora's case reacts to an enemy model gaining any Condition).  

'Once per Activation' means that Pandora's Misery can be used once per each model's activation (enemy models, in Pandora's case).

There are lots of other abilities that depend on this, like Primal Domain, Pretty Illusions, Wonder Weasel, etc.

• Agree 2