Maybe I'm mistaken

Very true, but since they aren't out yet, I've been using Ashigaru. I would probably go back and forth on them depending on if I felt I needed more defense or aggression, but man, Ashigaru are just silly for 5ss in that crew. 

That being said, I think Gokudo will be better most of the time because of the synergy with bringing back a key piece and the huge scheming potential. I'm just too in love with Ashigaru to use proxies right now 😛

• Agree 1

I've used Ashigaru to great effect against some opponents and in the right circumstances they are absolutley amazing, especially paired with Toshiro. Gokudo are just fantastic scheme runners and I can't wait for their box to come out so I proxy all the time. I don't know if there is one particular matchup that I've struggled against. I have run Yan Lo what I consider very light on stones at 4 and 95% of the games I have wanted at least 2 more stones. I have also had absolutely abysmal luck in both hands and flips recently so a lot of stones go to drawing extra cards. 

• 4 weeks later...

Had a game with Yan Lo vs Mei Fang yesterday, and decided Yanny needs some more love and coversation, so here's a quick batrep on how things went down. Sorry for any odd formatting or grammer issues, on the phone typing this out 😛

Strat: Symbols of Authority, Corner

Schemes: Breakthrough, Hidden Martyrs, Leave Your Mark, Spread Them Out, and Runic Binding

I decided on Breakthrough and Leave your Mark, as I find them pretty easy for Yan Lo to score with his mobility and Yin being able to use Dark Bargain makes it pretty easy.

My opponent decided on Spread them Out and Breakthrough. He said he figured with Walk the Rails, Spread them Out and Breakthrough were easy choices. He did pick weird tech pieces, as he wanted to experiment and really doesn't like Izamu/Ashigaru, so tried something new. 

Here's the crews:

Resser Yan lo- 2ss

Yanny+ Soul Porter

Yin

Manos

Izamu

Chiaki

Toshiro

Ashigaru

Arcanist Mei Fang- 3ss?

Mei+ Forgeling

Kang

Rail Golem 

Mechanical Rider

Mechanical Spider x2 both had magical training 

His reasoning on the spiders, with precise he could ignore alot of problem abilities my crew uses to stay alive, so he was hoping they'd be able to get some work in.

Turn 1:

Nothing crazy here, mostly moving up into positions for turn 2, focusing, etc.

I sent Toshiro, Ashigaru, Soul Porter  and Izamu on one flank, to meet his Rail Walk portion of his crew. On that side he sent up Mei, Forgeling, Kang and Rail Golem, placing the golem to capture one of symbols next turn and do some hurt with Freight Train and Off the Rails.

On the other flank, Rider, and the two spiders went towards two of the Symbols. I sent Yan lo and Chiaki towards the center to be able to reach whatever I needed to, and Yin and Manos went up to deal with the spiders.

I got Manos set up to remove a Symbol and Yin more or less setup to die and slow down the spiders so they hopefully wouldn't be relevant to the game.

Turn 2:

Oh boy, my opponent started the pain early, winning initiative, and getting double onslaught triggers with spider 1. Thankfully missing one onslaught attack, leaving Yin at 1. Yin activated and repositioned the spiders a bit, dark bargained Manos, to get the Symbol.

Annnnnnnnd spider 2 activated, again getting onslaught, dropping Yin to 1. The onslaught attack thankfully flipped black joker on damage and made it use it's last ap, killing Yin.

Rider got a symbol and started setting up spread them out. Manos kept the spiders in place and put the hurt on one, getting it 2 hp. 

Now in the center, Chiaki moved into a better position, and drop a scheme for Leave your Mark. Soul Porter pushed some things and got rid of a few scrap.

Ashigaru, Toshiro, and Izamu killed Kang, using all his stones, even though he got two severes and a moderate.  Forgeling got hit by a shove aside trigger from the ashigaru, putting it at 1. 

At this point, my opponent's luck took a turn for the worse, got some damage on ashigaru, but didn't kill it, all thanks to another black joker 😛

At the end of the round, I activated yan lo and denied spread them, making the score 2-1

Turn 3:

This turn was alot of both of us just....not accomplishing much but we both managed to get another Symbol and he got his spread them out. I got Manos to get the second symbol and set up for breakthrough next turn.

Mei and Golem were basically holding their own with Izamu, Toshiro, and Ashigaru, but I had managed to drop Mei down to 5 wounds and killed Forgeling.

Mei and Golem tried killing Toshiro, Ashigaru and Soul Porter, but just coming up shy and due to some healing got every back up to full, Toshiro was at like, 5 or 6 wounds.

Score 3-3

I got a symbol, he got a symbol and spread them out

Turn 4:

At this point, we were both just trying to Out scheme each other, but due to constriction, not having scrap, and bad flips, I kept Mei and Golem locked down for another turn. Rider was off schemin and I just kind of accepted it, since I couldn't stop both the rider and mei/golem.

Spiders killed Manos(friggan onslaught xD), and started moving towards the fray.

I got a symbol, he got breakthrough making the score 4-4

Turn 5:

Oh boy, this game was looking bad for my opponent, but he was gonna go for the tie to atleast deny me the victory!

Things got tricky here, he tried setting himself up, so I would have to disengage/couldn't scheme and he did it quite well with positioning but here comes the mistake, spiders have a nifty little bonus that let's them consume a scrap or SCHEME marker to get + to duels till end phase. He remembered this on the second spider to deny leave your Mark. He got Breakthrough setup with Rider, making the score 4-5.

I managed to have Izamu get a symbol, tieing up the game at 5-5. At this point my opponent thought it would be a tie game with me only having good ol Yanny left to activate. Remember that scheme marker for Breakthrough he didn't consume with the spider? Treacherous paths Chiaki up into his deployment for a sneaky 6-5 win!

Sorry for this probably being a mess but there was drinking involved and some of the match is a little hazy 😛

On 3/20/2020 at 9:14 PM, ConfuciuSay said:

The whole not taking stones thing is something I really dont understand. How do you get away with it? Maybe its just a difference in metas but mine tends to be hyper aggressive so if I start the game with no stones or even only like 1 or 2 my opponent is going to put so much pressure on my master and henchman that they will fold. 

I often don't take more than a couple stones with Yan Lo. I find that he doesn't need them to stay alive as his crew is filled with defensive tech. He also isn't trigger dependent at all. Manos provides his own stones through Siphon Power, and I never take Toshiro in a Yan Lo crew. There's also a bunch of discarding in the crew so unless I'm taking an OOK henchman who needs them, I'd rather just take a minion or some upgrades.