Sell me Von Schtook (vs. Leveticus)

Mithrandir

Hello! I read Von Schtook's background and I found it awesome. His card is hilarious too -as a teacher, I can relate (not the zombie part, though). I know we are waiting for some boxes to appear (Valedictorian, the Students...), so the crew is not complete. Having said so... Why do you enjoy playing him? What are Transmortis' strengths and weaknesses? Do you find them fun to play (with and against)?

I've been looking at Leveticus' crew too. I know they are not the same faction, and probably not the same style, but I find some similarities between them. If any of you know about the crazy outcast master, would you mind to compare his crew to Von Schtook's?

I always prefer lists with huge toolkit capabilities. In many other game system those often aren't top tier but with Schtook that's different. He's an allround master and strong. For a fairly new player like me, who still has to get a wider collection together, it's good to main a crew which can play basically any strats and schemes at least okay. The core box gets limiting quite fast though. I missed the Valedictorian already in my first game, she's a must-have for this crew. For now I'm okay with proxies (even built a dedicated one for Vale), but if you don't like that and don't own the old University box, I would not start this crew unless you're sure you want to stay with Ressers long term. I can't say anything about Levi, haven't seen him on the battlefield ever.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The professor really does have a bit of everything but, as Graf mentioned, is pretty good at all of it. The crew is resilient with HTW, armor, and healing. They have summoning, albeit strange. They're very quick with pushes, access to fast, and By Your Side - which is an awesome ability. They have a ton of spoiler abilities in the crew like stunning, condition removal, turning off upgrades, and Anna's various shut-down capabilities. Ressers also have pretty good versatile models and upgrades. The crew might not be the best at every strategy, but they can compete in any of them. 

I agree you do need Valedictorian. She's the best model in the faction. Be prepared to proxy it or have access to the University box. They'll have a new one at some point, but it likely won't be soon. 

Transmortis is pretty easy to get started but it also has quite a bit of depth to it. You won't get bored quickly with this crew! 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Have played against Von Schtook and have wanted to buy the crew myself.

I agree with the above Valedictorian is a must, and Anna Lovelace and Carrion Emissary seem like important tools to have in your toolbox as well. One of each student seems necessary as well for full power with summoning.

Playstyle wise, it is a very synergy oriented crew. There are a lot of things that depend on each other (for instance, Valedictorian depending on VS buffing her and movement buffs from auras). That does mean opponents can throw a spanner in the works (and blast damage can be quite scary against you). You have extremely good scheme marker control, as well as condition removal.

In general, your master is good - perhaps too good. You'll constantly wish he had more actions per activation. So be as efficient with him as you can!

They can be a bit annoying to play against for unskilled players. The Valedictorian is an 'alpha-striker', which means she will often zip forward and kill something at the end of turn one. This can be extremely daunting to play against if you don't know how to blunt alpha strikes and deal with that tactic. Additionally, summoners always feel a bit unfair against newer players, as the ability to add an extra model a turn can be very punishing.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/19/2020 at 9:27 AM, Mithrandir said:

Hello! I read Von Schtook's background and I found it awesome. His card is hilarious too -as a teacher, I can relate (not the zombie part, though). I know we are waiting for some boxes to appear (Valedictorian, the Students...), so the crew is not complete. Having said so... Why do you enjoy playing him? What are Transmortis' strengths and weaknesses? Do you find them fun to play (with and against)?

I've been looking at Leveticus' crew too. I know they are not the same faction, and probably not the same style, but I find some similarities between them. If any of you know about the crazy outcast master, would you mind to compare his crew to Von Schtook's?

What did you decide (or perhaps you posted that over on the Outcast forum)? Did the Professor make the grade?