Sequencing Revenant - how do folks handle the first turn?

I'm curious how people sequence their first turn with Reva.

I'm struggling a bit with shieldbearers. Currently I go:

• Lay down corpses (if applicable)
  • Activate any corpses candles that are going to be used as corpse markers (effectively being pass tokens)
  • Double blasphemous ritual (with shield bearers or shield bearer +gst).
  • Everything else

The problem I'm finding is shieldbearers want to activate early to pulse out focus, but their ideal action is charge/shield bash something else to move it. You can't do both unless you only move things ~3" past the shieldbearers.

How are people handling this? Do you advance the whole crew, then do blasphemous ritual at the end?

Depends on the game, for example, last game I needed to get to the leyline markers so I had my crew fairly heavily bunched in the middle of standard DZ. activations went something like this:

1. Restless Spirit had Lodestone. Dropped corpse next to Shieldbearer, double walked to Leyline.
  2. Corpse candle lit the way for other candle, then double walked (extra move from Emissary)
  3. Bone pile walked to receive Lodestone from Spirit after walking once tossing him the lodestone and then double walk to the other flank's Leyline
  4. 2nd corpse did same as 1st (now dead), (extra move from Emissary)
  5. Shieldbearer gave everyone focus, pushed Grave Golem, charged and pushed again.
  6. Lampad moves into position (extra move from Emissary)
  7. Grave golem walks & charges
  8. Emissary double walks, Exhumes
  9. Reva summons candle, walks, heals emissary 3, walks, charges
  10. Summoned candle does same as predecessor.
  • Thanks 1

It depends if I can afford to start bunched up at the beginning or not and depends on my list. I put the GST on the Lampad, so he can survive longer after using his Demise. Depending on the Schemes I would bring a Gravedigger or not (it depends if I'm bringing more Living or Undead too, so their presence is situational).

Ideally:

1. Corpse Candle move-move.
  2. Draugr charge Corpse Candle + concentrate.
  3. Restless spirit drop corse + walk + walk/concentrate (shielded to Draugr)
  4. Lampad move, concentrate and blasphemous ritual
  5. Shieldbearer charge Lampad/Draugr (go only for the 2" push, not the 6") + blasphemous ritual + shield slam again or concentrate

At this point you should have almost everyone with 2 Focus. Maybe you'll need to make small adjustments regarding terrain and positioning, like activating Vincent first (protective spirits, walk + concentrate). Remember that Reva is Sz 3, so easy to see for the Blasphemous Ritual pulse. Also, the Lampad and Gravedigger's base size is 40mm, which makes it a bit easier to get those pulses affecting everyone important (Reva > Vincent > Draugr/Any other beater > Shieldbearer > Lampad).

If you bring 3 Blasphemous Ritual, it really becomes trickier and just try to give the +3 focus on 3-4 models, or it will become too complicate and you won't position as much as you need to be ready to score in turn 2-3.

• Thanks 1

It totally depends on crew list and S&S pool, but generally I think the first turn can be summed up in three generalist steps:

1. Activate your corpse candles early.

2. Kill at least one corpse candle by charging/ shooting/ remote detonating 

3. Activate Reva to generate a new candle

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

So by the sounds of it, people don't feel the need to hit everything with the pulse focus?

Da Git moved forward restless spirit and bone pile first, and Shinchan moves half the team forward (do you miss Reva with the pulse then?)

Not really much point giving the Restless Spirit focus, he usually tries to avoid attention as much as possible...

Completely pointless giving the Bone pile Focus, as he cant gain conditions!

Otherwise, everything else was in the pulse bar the Candles

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

So by the sounds of it, people don't feel the need to hit everything with the pulse focus?

Da Git moved forward restless spirit and bone pile first, and Shinchan moves half the team forward (do you miss Reva with the pulse then?)

No, you don't miss Reva, you have to move less than the maximum. You charge 4" with the Shieldbearer on the Draugt, pushing him 2" (he's already 2" away) so he'll get burning +1 and still on the range of the pulse. I'll try to show it with pictures.

• Thanks 1