Sell me the revolution - what you find rewarding about playing Colette and Ironsides

Regelridderen

I’ve got a bad collector bug with 9 crews of Ressurs, Neverborn and Guild. And I feel, its time for something new :

Modelwise - and I always go by models first, its become a toss-up between arcanists (Ironsides and Colette) and Thunders (Yan Lo and Misaki).

So it’s become a matter of playstyle, so my question to you is; what do you find rewarding about playing Colette and Ironsides?

I think these two crews represent the brilliance of Malifaux.

Colette and the Showgirls are the ultimate divert, distract and misdirect crew, a collection of stage dancers that hold their own on a battlefield, achieving their goals with cunning, guile and occasionally a dress mannequin flurry of sharp blades. Her crew is the best odd squad, they are durable, but not through armor and fear, instead through illusion; they can be deadly but again less through raw power than the application of lethal force in exactly the right moment; they are a nightmare of maneuverability and are excellent at running rings around opposition while achieving their goals (schemes and strats).

Toni and her crew of magical union hard folk is almost her opposite. An excellent bubble crew, they are led by Toni into a tight, savage clinch style of brawling play, where they trade sharp blows for swift counters against the ropes in a fight of their superior durability and counter-punch power. Meanwhile they have tricky maneuverability and unexpected vector lethal power, so while Toni and her core supports draw the opposition into a orbit of close violence her remaining crew dance around the outside achieving their goals and surgically slicing out specific vulnerable targets. This is the Arcanist crew that you can take into the attrition battle while still retaining that magical edge of speed and blows from unexpected directions. 

Combined these two crews can really play into almost any scheme/strat/opposition combination with at least a fighting chance. They are fun and represent what is great about Malifaux on both extremes of the game, a war game about savage brawling and completing specific limited tasks (Toni) but also a game where blood and violence is not dominant and where you can run an opponent in circles, dancing from the fights you don't want and only committing to the skirmishes you can win (Colette). 

Model wise they both are great squads to paint with real diversity in models (and crew composition) and you'll find few other war games where a colorful crew of dancing girls exists alongside a picket line of hardened dirt scrabble miners.

Both crews also have some cross over model potential with the excellent Arcanist versatile models.       

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...