Youko Hamasaki - Tactics and Strategies

Wakefield

5 hours ago, Cursed25 said:

the best OOK model for Youko is Mr. Tannen! try him! he will make your opponent cry with all the pressure he adds!

use a samurai with silent protector to protect Youko and Tannen! 

I'll have to give this one a shot. 7 stones is a pretty steep price for Tannen, who's also really slow. My concern is primarily that Tannen really wants to add Brilliance to make sure that Boring Conversation is a lot harder to go around. It certainly can help lock down an already dragged down model who may be locked in with a Kabuki Warrior or Geisha, but...I don't really think I want to put them as a bubble crew.

I think the reverse is actually a better option. Hiring a Kabuki Warrior into Honeypot means that the bubble crew has a beater that can both lure alongside of Beckoners, add on the negative WP aura, and can keep things pinned in.

3 hours ago, Necrokamo said:

As an additional option try Lust, according to several opinions, the errata has made her very compatible with the Qi & Gong.

Samurai are really good, but I think the Lust option may be better. The advantage with Lust is that you can easily trigger Flirtatious Wink with Misinformation from Chiyo. This also blends into Consumed by Lust being able to just turn Misinformation into a straight two card discard if your target has a sin token on it which they would immediately get from Lascivious music anyway...

Lust can also run schemes with MV6 and Now Kiss can help with keeping her clear of targets. Lascivious Music, sadly, only discards one card from the hand, so Youko only gets to draw one off of it.

I think that the Samurai with Silent Protector is an interesting concept as well, but the thing is, Youko wants to play forwards, which means the Samurai needs to either be lured forwards to keep up with her, or she needs to hang a little further back. Bill can accomplish the same thing by just forcing your opponent back and challenging and has access to Leverage. He's a little softer, but still gives potent advantages.

• Agree 1

I was thinking about playing Sun Quiang with her, he can heal and help youko or tannen survive with his place, he also can give more distracted condition to your enemies with excelent triggers (duality can force enemy to discard and you can then discard/draw or hole in the world to more positioning) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Tannen don't need brilliance if opponent is within distraction aura because a lot of low wp models will have a hard time doing anything other than walk near him.

Also the main draw of Tannen in a Youko crew is Betrayal! forcing an already card starve opponent to discard even more to cheat will be backbreaking! 😉 also each time they want to cheat near Youko/Tannen, they discard giving you a card in the process! 

Also when I play Youko I don,t play that much into a bubble! My Core (Youko, Tannen, Protector Samurai) will stay near each other and will be send near low WP enemy models to deplete hands while the rest of the crew will munch what they want! I really like Hinamatsu as a threat somewhere else in the board forcing opponent to split his force!

I'll have to rethink every strategies I had because of GG-1 but I'm hoping to still use Youko in the new strats/schemes! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/7/2020 at 2:41 AM, Bondu said:

I was thinking about playing Sun Quiang with her, he can heal and help youko or tannen survive with his place, he also can give more distracted condition to your enemies with excelent triggers (duality can force enemy to discard and you can then discard/draw or hole in the world to more positioning) 

I don't know how I feel about Sun Quiang. On one hand, he's got a good amount of utility, but on the other hand, that's a lot of stones for a support piece. Tannen is cheap enough, but I feel like if you play too heavily into Distracted it may end up being a problem. Tanuki help with scheming, which is another main weakness, and while Sun can do the same, it also steals stones from other things. I'll have to give him a shot.

Sun Quiang is better healer than Tanuki, but you are loosing spam of free focus and have sometimes worse condition removal (free assist action is nice, but not enough if targeted model suffer from condition spam).

But you may find here funny trick for your models by discarding card via his bedside manner to help survive opponent's attack (after first damage) by placing them outside their engagment range, but engaded by your model (Kabuki or Bill with their 2" engage range). This will aslo heal them for 1 hp and if they are unactivated when they will activate they will heal for another 1 hp.

He is 3 stones more, but has much better survivalibity, his Yin and Yang is stat 7 and near Youko duality trigger is wonderful - it's another source of opponent's hand control and you can cycle cards. Other non crows triggers are wonderful too (give distracted+1 to 2 models is nice and Hole in the world might be neat with schemes that requires LoS like take prisoner or to place something armored in no LoS to their friends so No Witnesses will hurt). Don't mind me might be useful picking evidence markers. Study might be also useful for (counter) scheming and with Kabuki's a New Horizon you may place it where you need.

Eh, someone else mentioning Sun Quiang!

I've taken him in pretty much every game with Youko I've played, he's definitely worth it IMO. As has been said, all of his non-crows triggers are great. The healing is super nice, and now that My Loyal Servant can be used on the model that healing energy targeted. Bedside Manner is also super useful, and becomes even more reliable in a crew like Youko's where you can get cards to use reliably.

Sun Quiang is great with her. Also take in count Bedside Manner + King of Medicine make H2K models really H2K: An attack bring that model to 1 Wd? Discard a card and it's now at 2 Wds. Another attack? Here you have another card...

I think this wasn't mentioned yet: Charm Warders with Masked Agent are a real threat, even if a bit squishy. All their attacks are resisted with Wp so they are very reliable versus something under a Distraction Aura.

The best part is cheating the coordinated attack trigger with a low mask because the other player cannot cheat to put that Kabuki sword in good use (even from 10'' with Jynx), or use "with me" when charging into a Geisha aura (or dragging a Geisha/Kabuki for the aura); getting also an easy coordinated attack trigger in mele for other beater.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Thatguy said:

It can? I must have missed the faq.

Yeah, I can't find it... I also don't know a version of English where "another" could mean "the same". I understand the parentheses confuse the sentence a bit but is seems to act as a further stipulation rather than change the meaning of "another".

My 2¢

8 hours ago, Thatguy said:

It can? I must have missed the faq.

That clarification is "hidden" in the NVB FAQs, but it affects every ability with that wording:

1. Nekima – Can Nekima Push and take a y Action as a result of a friendly Nephilim model being killed within range of her Enraged By Insolence Action?
a) No. “Another” always refers to “not the model from which this t ext is written” except in those instances where the model in which “Another” is written would not always be a legal subject of the sentence, such as “Another Scrap Marker”, or “Another enemy model”. In such cases, “Another” will never refer to the previous legal subject.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I'm not sure how comfortable I feel with this interpretation. It would make Richochet an incredibly powerful trigger.

Screenshot_20200311-082204.png

Haha, good one. That's probably not following the errata ruling, either that or the "Ricochet" is happening inside of the model's ribcage XD.

But it's true we now need a clarification for that one.

Aaaaaand easing our way back onto topic...

On 3/10/2020 at 6:26 PM, Ogid said:

Sun Quiang is great with her. Also take in count Bedside Manner + King of Medicine make H2K models really H2K: An attack bring that model to 1 Wd? Discard a card and it's now at 2 Wds. Another attack? Here you have another card...

I think this wasn't mentioned yet: Charm Warders with Masked Agent are a real threat, even if a bit squishy. All their attacks are resisted with Wp so they are very reliable versus something under a Distraction Aura.

The best part is cheating the coordinated attack trigger with a low mask because the other player cannot cheat to put that Kabuki sword in good use (even from 10'' with Jynx), or use "with me" when charging into a Geisha aura (or dragging a Geisha/Kabuki for the aura); getting also an easy coordinated attack trigger in mele for other beater.

This Masked Agent tip is freaking amazing and I love it.

I always assumed that it was just melee actions, but you're completely right. It allows them to also be even more of a toolbox. This also means you can With Me, bring in something to drop that distraction aura next to the target, Kabuki Warrior, for instance, and all of the sudden you're flipping against a negative with your Chi Blade melee attack that has a brilliant trigger on any flip.

Sun is definitely an MVP for times when you need a ton of longevity. But the only things that have H2K is going to be things you put Silent Protector on, at least in keyword, so it gets 'meh' rating from me for being an expensive combo. In the right setups though, against burst crews, probably very viable. If Seamus pops up as a popular meta model I'd run him, or something with a lot of triggers like Marcus with Onslaught and such.

6 hours ago, Wakefield said:

This Masked Agent tip is freaking amazing and I love it.

I always assumed that it was just melee actions, but you're completely right. It allows them to also be even more of a toolbox. This also means you can With Me, bring in something to drop that distraction aura next to the target, Kabuki Warrior, for instance, and all of the sudden you're flipping against a negative with your Chi Blade melee attack that has a brilliant trigger on any flip.

Glad to hear it helped :)

Haha, it happened also to me; when I noticed it's for all attacks that upgrade got a whole new level of utility. Another good combo, this one for Shenlong: Archers/Warders + Low River Style (positioning them near of Students) or even for High Rivers tailing Shenlong (not sure now you cannot charge them with Chi in turn 1 tho), maybe also worth with Lotus' Threaten but that's only 8''. You may buy the trigger with chi thanks to the aura.

The counterpart in a Youko crew is this is a combo relying on minions and an upgrade; which aren't the most resilient models, so it needs finesse/the right game. But when well executed, it's really good.

On 3/11/2020 at 3:38 AM, Ogid said:

That clarification is "hidden" in the NVB FAQs, but it affects every ability with that wording:

1. Nekima – Can Nekima Push and take a y Action as a result of a friendly Nephilim model being killed within range of her Enraged By Insolence Action?
a) No. “Another” always refers to “not the model from which this t ext is written” except in those instances where the model in which “Another” is written would not always be a legal subject of the sentence, such as “Another Scrap Marker”, or “Another enemy model”. In such cases, “Another” will never refer to the previous legal subject.

On 3/11/2020 at 8:25 AM, Thatguy said:

I'm not sure how comfortable I feel with this interpretation. It would make Richochet an incredibly powerful trigger.

Screenshot_20200311-082204.png

In Von Schill's Load Up, his My Loyal Servant trigger says "another model" followed by "other than this model". Why would it need that if another model already means that?

Screenshot_2020-03-12 Malifaux 3E(1).png

36 minutes ago, touchdown said:

In Von Schill's Load Up, his My Loyal Servant trigger says "another model" followed by "other than this model". Why would it need that if another model already means that?

I feel that it's obvious that the ruling on Enraged by Insolence was a ham-fisted attempt at nerfing Nekima by not letting Nekima herself get free swings, and their blanket "another means not the acting model" interpretation has backfired immensely. Obviously Enraged by Insolence meant another nephilim that isn't the one dying, My Loyal Servant and Ricochet being great examples of how they clearly originally defined "another". 

• Agree 4