BatReps: Nellie Solo Day

Yore Huckleberry

Took Nellie solo to a fixed-leader tourney over the weekend. I declared her because the strats were Plant, Idols, Turf, and Deliver was in the schemes on Turf.

I drew our Conference's top-rated player running Shenlong first -- Plant Explosives in Wedge. I lost that one 6-2. Phiona did some good work keeping Shenlong off my rider, and I forgot that she had a LLC on her at the end, which might have let me score the second point of outflank. I also let him spook me into Squealing Nellie slightly away from an Idols marker in the last round, after which he was able to block LoS with a figure and terrain and use another figure to remove it by remaining out of LoS for her Exclusive Interview aura. So a few mistakes kept the dif good and broad, but the Undercover Reporter did good work denying him one of his Breakthrough points by shifting Arson targets in the endgame. Of note: he scored 21 of 24 total points that day, and I denied 2 of the 3 he failed to acquire, and if I'd thought to keep Nellie on her marker at the end, it would certainly have been 6-3. Phiona would have had to survive a totem attacking to keep her Outflank point if I hadn't moved her, so 6-4 was possible, but not likely, as it would have been card-dependent.

Round Two was Idols against Kirai. I tech'd in a the Lone Marshal and an exorcist and Agent 46 to auto-kill summons. But with Detonate Charges and Harness the Ley Line in the scheme pool, I wound up just flooding the center with markers, and Nellie was able to use "Twist Their Ideals" to really potent effect more than once between idol markers, corpse markers, and scheme markers that my False Witness kept dropping. At one point I one-shot Ikiryo with that. Otherwise, I largely controlled Ikiryo with the Marshal and Nellie, kept Nellie up with the idols (they stayed on ram the whole game; I teched in a Guild Lawyer for the initiative bid/card recover trick with Tools for the Job). I think the False Witness may have been my only in-keyword hire. Anyway, I won that one 6-2.

Round Three was Nellie vs Molly in a Reporter-Off! The strat was Turf War and schemes included Harness, Power Ritual, Breakthrough, Vendetta, and Deliver. I took Deliver and Vendetta (Lone Marshal on Carrion Emissary) because the board had a good amount of concealing terrain, and I thought I could sneak Nellie in to Molly in late rounds. Meanwhile, a Peacekeeper and Undercover Reporter were on defense against Breakthrough and Harness. I over-teched to be able to kill Archie and took an exorcist and Agent 46 again, and they ... sort of kept him back? I got better work out of the Lone Marshal auto-killing summoned rabble risers off of the Forgotten Marshal. I got a bit out of position here and left one of my easy turf points unclaimed, and the Carrion Em did good work blocking the PK in early (the Printing Press went up to take the destroy-terrain unnamed action). Anyway, the Lone Marshal solo'd his scheme, clipping the Carrion Emissary early in round 1 and then round 2 from across the board with run and gun; the two hits combined to give the second point. I was worried he'd play hard-denial, but activation order allowed me to clear the Emissary early round 3, though that left my Vendetta-horse pretty far forward. Still, the Peacekeeper was near it, and he flanked me with Archie and the Dead Rider on the other side instead. My exorcist and Agent 46 were able to shoot heavily into the Dead Rider and force a retreat, while Nellie "Twisted-their-ideals" on Archie, sending him back into the Necrotic Machine to try to unflip a turf claim and prevent a point (he cheated a severe to force a miss). The game swung hard after that, though: Archie came in and red-joker'd damage on Nellie, and he was able to start focusing fire onto her pretty well. Given that, I had Nellie run up and score the first point of deliver on Molly, and wound up losing my master.  He brought in Molly for Breakthrough and scored Harness twice, though I stopped him from getting it round 3 with the undercover reporter's Arson trigger, and nearly stopped it round 5 again. We both capped at 2 turf points, so he won this one 6-5.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Yore Huckleberry said:

Took Nellie solo to a fixed-leader tourney over the weekend. I declared her because the strats were Plant, Idols, Turf, and Deliver was in the schemes on Turf.

I drew our Conference's top-rated player running Shenlong first -- Plant Explosives in Wedge. I lost that one 6-2. Phiona did some good work keeping Shenlong off my rider, and I forgot that she had a LLC on her at the end, which might have let me score the second point of outflank. I also let him spook me into Squealing Nellie slightly away from an Idols marker in the last round, after which he was able to block LoS with a figure and terrain and use another figure to remove it by remaining out of LoS for her Exclusive Interview aura. So a few mistakes kept the dif good and broad, but the Undercover Reporter did good work denying him one of his Breakthrough points by shifting Arson targets in the endgame. Of note: he scored 21 of 24 total points that day, and I denied 2 of the 3 he failed to acquire, and if I'd thought to keep Nellie on her marker at the end, it would certainly have been 6-3. Phiona would have had to survive a totem attacking to keep her Outflank point if I hadn't moved her, so 6-4 was possible, but not likely, as it would have been card-dependent.

You know you also scored half of the points scored against him this weekend! 

• Haha 1