Getting Started, Competitive Rezzers

DeadManTalking

With that much armour on the opposing crew, have you thought of an OOK hire of a Student of Steel? If you can keep her alive she can help you pick off a samurai at a time. She ignores armour herself and can Analyze Weakness from 10". Might not be everyone's first go to, but might also surprise him. 

Since Samurai have that darn self-heal (they really are too darn good), you need to make sure you can take them out in a hurry. She also brings a way to Stun models and a construct only heal (which she can use on herself!). If you bring a Komainu they can be a good team. Komainu take the hit for shooting against Steel and Steel heals the Komainu until they get in range.

2 hours ago, ConfuciuSay said:

Just to be clear I meant I'm looking at bringing Mcmourning as a second master into the Yan Lo crew.

Ah, might work! However, he works much better with poison support. Additionally, his poison damage will happen end of turn, so gives samurai a chance to heal. In terms of armor ignore, he is pretty great (as is Molly if you wanted to bring her, but she is vulnerable to Shenlong).

McMourning also has a cute trick where he can transfer focus from an ally to Shenlong, cancelling his distracted buff (just don't give him so much focus he gains focus! You want him neutral). It is too clunky to rely on, though.

Double masters in general are good for this pool.

I'd recommend OOK Schtook for his aura negating Shenlong's upgrades, but not sure he is worth the stones if he doesn't have Transmortis models to work with.

Could also have Kirai spam summoning Ikiryo for irreducible damage, but summons do tend to give away points (but also help secure points).

Yeah I was originally going to take Kirai as my leader but I felt the crew was too fragile for what I was likely going against. Ikriyo is great but she can definitely give away points if you arent careful. 

The list I ended on is 
Size: 50 - Pool: 6
Leader:
  Yan Lo
Totem(s):
  Soul Porter
Hire(s):
  Dr. McMourning
  Sun Quiang
  Izamu The Armor
  Ashigaru
  Komainu

My opponent's list is 
Size: 50 - Pool: 5
Leader:
  Shenlong
Totem(s):
  Aspiring Student
  Aspiring Student 2
Hires:
  Samurai
    Trained Ninja
  Samurai 2
    Trained Ninja
  Misaki Katanaka
    Masked Agent
  Wandering River Monk

I'll let you know how it goes. 

2 hours ago, ConfuciuSay said:

Yeah I was originally going to take Kirai as my leader but I felt the crew was too fragile for what I was likely going against. Ikriyo is great but she can definitely give away points if you arent careful. 

The list I ended on is 
Size: 50 - Pool: 6
Leader:
  Yan Lo
Totem(s):
  Soul Porter
Hire(s):
  Dr. McMourning
  Sun Quiang
  Izamu The Armor
  Ashigaru
  Komainu

My opponent's list is 
Size: 50 - Pool: 5
Leader:
  Shenlong
Totem(s):
  Aspiring Student
  Aspiring Student 2
Hires:
  Samurai
    Trained Ninja
  Samurai 2
    Trained Ninja
  Misaki Katanaka
    Masked Agent
  Wandering River Monk

I'll let you know how it goes. 

Oof, just read up on them. No wonder people complain.

Looks like two reckoning points should be doable. Three would be easy if he is careless with his masters, but by the sounds of it he is good. Still, one minion then one master should be doable at least.

Against Misaki, remember that her movement drops off the longer she waits to activate, so limit her options early in the turn. If she activates last she will be move 2. You can also potentially destroy the markers if they are careless with placement (or stand on top of them with big bases).

At a guess, I'd say his strategy is to hit you early and hard to take you down before you power up, and score some schemes with Wandering River monk. If you get a chance to kill it early, could be useful.

McMourning has a very good threat range (doctors order himself + move + charge, then he can attack twice). With three severes you can kill a samurai from full as the last activation of the turn as long as he has focus from somewhere (really 8-10s may be enough if they have expended their severes). He can do a focused hit for 5, a min 2 damage hit, and then the poison tick kills the samurai. Though make sure Shenlong doesn't steal your focus.

Some things to watch out for, anyway!

Overall, I'd focus on conservative positioning and make him come to you where possible. As Yan Lo powers up, you'll be much more advantaged in a brawl. Just don't let him snag an easy point turn two by suddenly tagging one of your minions at the last moment.

So I'll get this out of the way first. Shen long needs to be fixed. Not going to complain too much because I definitely misplayed some stuff that ended up costing me, but Shen, his totems, and Samurai are dumb. 

So my plan was to try and bait him into over committing either Shen or Misaki but that didnt work and I actually ended up some what trapping myself in a funnel of terrain. 

Some key take aways though, Mcmourning is a monster! Wow his main attack is scary, and I think against most other crews he would have been nearly unstoppable. That being said, Shen eats him alive. I like the overlapping synergy of Yan Lo's crew and definitely see the potential. Ended up calling the game after turn 3 because he was going to wipe the floor with me but definitely learned a lot and had we reset and played again I think it would have been a different game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ConfuciuSay said:

So I'll get this out of the way first. Shen long needs to be fixed. Not going to complain too much because I definitely misplayed some stuff that ended up costing me, but Shen, his totems, and Samurai are dumb. 

The character I most frequently hear requests for nerfs is Shenlong, so I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the first round of errata (assuming they do power-level errata, which the prevailing theory is that they will).

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ConfuciuSay said:

Yup. He, is over the top - or at least his upgrades are.

Samurai aren't much better being Versatile and 9SS. Hell, they hit hard in combat and at range, have armor 2, option for ping damage, aren't slow on the charge, can focus as a bonus, and self heal. Oh, and you can have 3 of them.... I look at our poor Rogue Necro and cry in comparison.

• Like 1