2020 Monthly Painting Challenge - March

Caedrus

19 hours ago, Stranglelove said:

@Chou Would you share your gray cloak recipe?  It's very clean.

Thank you! Actually it wasn't anything fancy, I used the Vallejo's "Cold grey" (from the Game Air range) with a drop of black for the base (with the airbrush), and then went back to the "Cold grey" and started the highlighting with "Aged white" also from Vallejo's Game air range, which is not actually white (I'd say it's closer to pale flesh). And for the final highlights I added white to the mix and did it with the brush. 

• Thanks 3

I posted this model as my plan for January (and recently posted there as a late response to the Jan thread) and I still want to touch up the model and add basing, but I guess it's technically "done" for the purposes of the contest, so I suppose I should claim my 9ss while I can...

First time using contrast paints, and I feel like the colors are still drying and changing so I'll need to look at the models tomorrow to see what I want to do with it. For an example of what I mean, the brown is lightening up and becoming closer to the yellow I wanted as I type...

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1583519286376.jpeg

• Like 8

@Cats Laughing yeah acrylics are challenging like that. You just need to get a feel for how colours change as they dry. But it's also a good tip to give paintjobs some time before declaring anything final with them. I know if there's a paintjob I really care about, I always give it a 2nd look one or two nights after I "finished" it and tweak accordingly.

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2020 at 9:48 PM, Nikodemus said:

pic5263279.jpgpic5263280.jpg

Tanuki done!

Fairly quick one to start the month with. Few lazy evenings worth of paint for this furball. Can't even remember when's the last time I drybrushed a model this heavily. Had trouble deciding on a colour scheme at first. Ended up not really using colours:PNot quite black 'n white but... black 'n sepia perhaps?

Planning on a darker, shadow marker inspired look for Katahiro. Hopefully with Wanyudo and Minako I'll get back to using some colours.

Here's hoping everyone else is also off to a good start for March:Teddy:

Love your Tanuki! I’ll be tackling mine next month. 

For this month, I’m pledging a ruffian and Luna. 

D1682386-F6CE-44D1-A231-F2FB3274041F.jpeg

0A8A63DB-6E52-42A4-8837-2610E899B06E.jpeg

• Like 7

Just reviewing my box of shame. Over the last year I've made huge dent in my backlog of Malifaux minis.

Obviously I'll buy more before completing this lot, but I have a rule thats been working quite well. I'm only allowed the box and a tray for unpainted Malifaux minis and if I want to buy more I must make space by painting. As you can see I'm currently full :) 

efGyHsq.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Wintergloom said:

Obviously I'll buy more before completing this lot, but I have a rule thats been working quite well. I'm only allowed the box and a tray for unpainted Malifaux minis and if I want to buy more I must make space by painting.

That's my rule for GW stuff for the year, though I'm sure their Adepticon reveals will make me want to break that.

For Malifaux, I just make the excuse: "But I have to buy this so I can finish the keyword!"

• Haha 3

Thought I’d post a little WIP of my Ruffian. Pretty happy with him- probably best set of eyes I’ve managed on a Malifaux mini so far. The highlights on the shirt could have been a bit cleaner but it’s my first time glazing so I’ll take it. Just the leather bits and highlights on the chains left to do. 
4092BE21-F389-4740-B389-72B6D37761F0.thumb.jpeg.6150fe0ad0d25bb53287ad50ff6aa43a.jpeg

Loving the progress on everyone else’s models so far! 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

Oh and here's close up of one of the faces:

pic5278286.jpg

Not like you can see those eyes at any realistic downward facing angle when playing. Oh well. 

Awesome paintjob, wish I was that good when it comes to highlight.

Wanyudo always look funny when you're looking close at it imo ^_^

• Like 1